nice_shoes

Windows 7 problem?, or hardware problem?

My system is not doing what I consider a proper shutdown. Here is what happens:

1. I use the SHUT DOWN button on the popup window
  2. any open programs seem to close quickly
  3. the generic Windows screen shows the small cursor and says "Shutting Down" (so far, so good)
  4. it takes about a minute and then the small cursor stops rotating and looks like it is frozen
  5. a couple minutes later the screen finally goes blank
  6. another few minutes, and then the power supply shuts off

I don't know where the problem is..............hardware or operating system?............any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

Use task manager to see what programs are running before you shut down, I know if I have a torrent program open windows takes a bit of time before it shuts down , so something may be running that is not shutting down when windows wants it to.

What is your system?

Specifically your PSU because you may find that you have a high quality PSU that is designed to keep running the fan just to remove any risidual hear before it shuts off.

In terms of shutting down its probably just reflecting what you have running and the speed of the computer. Anything that needs to save to disc really slows down shut downs.

I played with a ram disc in my laptop for a while but even with my SSD the save to disc on shutdown made my times go from 5-10seconds to a bit over a minute to shut down.

More info..............................in step 4, the small circle cursor stops spinning and the lights on the USB mouse go out at the same time, however the PS-2 keyboard lights remain lit I don't think that my power supply is "smart" enough to keep the fan running because it's a cheapo model, also, if I hold the power button in for about 4 seconds, the PSU will shut off. still need some ideas about troubleshooting this.........

Download the Windows Performance Tools Kit.

Install the WPTK (it's available from msdn.microsoft.com)

Reboot after installation.

Open a command prompt with elevated permissions

Run the following trace command;

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

You can change the output file directory to anywhere you want, the command line above would put it in your C:\TEMP folder

Post the results here.

wevsspot,

I followed your instructions and as a result I got 2 files: xbootmgr.log and shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+POWER_1.etl

I'm not sure of the best way to get these to you...............

PM me and I'll provide you an email address. You can zip the files and email them to me. I'll take a look and respond here in this thread.