m89a3

hey guys,

I have a Q9450 2.66ghz

2x2gb + 1x4gb corsair 1333mhz

Corsair HX850 PSU

Nforce sli 790i ultra

Gtx280 sli

Xfi fatality pro sound card

Recently had a problem with my computer randomly locking up and sound looping or else just restarting by itself, fixed the restarting problem by increasing voltage to ram (had recently installed a new psu) but the computer is still locking up and sound looping quite often during videos and video games, memtest ran for a few hours, no probs there, drivers have been changed and changed again for both my gpu's and iv tried with SLI on and off, any ideas? Thanks in advance

M89, welcome to the OCC forums.

If I were presented with the same problem here is what I would do (and only speaking for myself)..............

1. Check and make sure you are running the latest BIOS revision for your board. If not I would flash to the latest. If you're already running the latest BIOS release I'd do a full CMOS clear, reboot and load optimized BIOS default values. Boot back into Windows and test for problems. If problems persist;

2. A fresh installation of Windows

If both of these "fixes" fail to solve the problem then I would suspect a hardware problem or driver conflict - possibly between the Creative sound card drivers and your nVidia gpu drivers. If that's the case I'd remove the Creative card and enable onboard sound (temporary for testing only). Uninstall all Creative drivers and software and re-run your gaming tests.

Report back on the results and we can take it from there.

Good luck.

usually this is caused by bad memory overclocks, both on the motherboard and the video card memory

looking at your rig you are running 5GB? that's kind of weird

try and remove that 1 stick and set your memory clockst to stock and see if that problem goes away

I made the assumption that there wasn't any overclocking going on based on the information in the OPs description of his rig. However Potato does make a keen observation about the memory configuration. Since it is a dual channel board I'm assuming that two of your memory modules are installed in channel 1 and the other is installed in channel 2. There wouldn't be any harm in running Memtest 86+ in your current configuration and see if it throws any errors. If it does, remove the 1Gb stick from channel 1 and rerun Memtest. When running Memtest the longer the better for getting deep into the memory system.

aside from mixed modules/values, i will make sure that DIMM slots are properly populated as well.

tho i found out that people are having troubles with their nForce 790i Ultra boards (with RAM issues in majority) ;

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1130255

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1642891

Even though your memory modules may have the same voltage requirements and timings, sometimes the mixed densities can cause issues with a particularly cranky motherboard (i.e. a 1Gb stick doesn't have as many ICs as a 2Gb stick - hence the 1Gb stick isn't as "dense" as the 2Gb stick).

okay gonna try all these suggestions tonight, but again il just let ye know dat I dont have a 1 gb stick, its 4gb stick, i think the confusion bout dat was me saying in my rig spec 2 x 2gb + 1 x 4gb, gonna check it all the same and il let ye know, tnx guys.