About pulled a Waco

Well I was overclocking the other day. verifying stability of the system at 4.60 with prime95 and It Bsoded.... Well I thought for a second that I may be unstable but when I rebooted I noticed a smell and the 12v ATX power was running at about 11 volts... I was surprised it ran at all But Regardless. Looked at the board, checked all connectors to the board and then removed the back sidepanel to chech for short. Well I got to looking and the ATX connector I used looked like THis. :whoa:

2012-06-23 14.10.23.jpg

I feel lucky right now... You cant see it but the wires were starting to melt together. And it just makes me think I just about pulled a Waco. :rofl:

On to the question.... Has anyone had this happen before. I know my chip alone is pulling dang near 200 watts through that line but that seems a little light to burn up that connector.

200 watts is way over what you should probably be trying to pull through a somewhat cheap looking extension. :lol:

That said...no fire, no Waco. :D

A 6 core processor at 4.6 is going to pull some juice any which way you look at it. The socket 2011 chips can pull that and more depending on the vcore and LLC level you use.

I can see that. Doing a stability test at 4.90 right now. Stuffs getting pretty hot right now so I added a floor fan with the open sidepanel Trick to help. we shall see what happens. Testing at 1.45V on processor so believe me. The VR's have been Dropping the F bomb at me the WHOLE time. Hot hot hot.

Try pumping 1.8 thru a 2600k. :D

Yeah i can see that ending well.... :lol:

Well its for the most part stable but it needs some tweaking and temperature reduction for sure. After i craft some chipset blocks we shall find out.

any chance that when you pushed that extension in, it pushed one or two of the contacts out the back far enough to arc or add some resistance?

I believe it was crumby wiring and or soldering. It didn't damage the other connector so that is a good news.