MAX4U

Corsair H80 or Noctua D14

Noctua one of the best avalaible cooler in the market, read awesome reviews about it but also read that liquid cooling is the most

efficient when compared to air. Price is almost same for both.. i am confused between these two things.

i have a Cooler master Storm so fitting a H100 is a bit difficult. ready to buy Noctua but second thoughts for water cooling.

PS: i will overclock, presently on stock

Don't by all in one liquid cooling sets that require no maintenance. I have a corsair H70 and I also got the chance to try out the Nh-D14, the differences were minimal and the liquid cooling did preform slightly better but air cooling was the cheaper and more effect choice. I already purchased my H70 however so no way to return it to Newegg. xd

Get one of these if you want to get liquid cooling. Don't buy all in one kits!

Comes down to personal preference of course but this is just my 2 cent on it.

If you are going to do watercooling the go with a custom built system. They trump air cooling period and the h100 gets owned compared to them. Let us know if you want to do water cooling. We can help. :D

On an i7 2600K, you can get up to 300MHz - 500MHz higher overclock with the same load temps using a custom watercooling solution than with using a Noctua NH-D14, even with a 3rd fan, but with all fans at 7V's instead of 12V's (the same goes for the fans on the radiators that have Noctua NF-P12's on them). The TIM used is Maingear Epic T1000, which helps, as load temps would normally be up to 74C.

However, I do like how even a Noctua NH-D14 with a 3rd fan can fit on a M-ATX case (NZXT Vulcan). ;)

dsc0001ee.jpg

Below are the overclocks and settings with a dedicated 360mm radiator that has 6 Noctua NF-P12 fans in push/pull at 7V's. Nothing else is being cooled by it. Load temps won't break 70C.

DSC_0003.JPG

CPU: i7 2700K @5.0 GHz w/HT 1.460 Vcore BIOS 3402; 1.464V - 1.472V CPU-Z | Maingear Epic T1000 + Swiftech Apogee XT 120.3 Push + Pull (5v) Max 70C Prime95

Edited by El_Capitan

Go with the D14. All of the Self-Contained Liquid solutions in the market aren't worthed. Most of them performs worst than that of a similarly priced or cheaper air cooler.

Edited by vandreadstriker

D14 all the way.

H100 is equivalent to D14.

H80 is a bit inferior to D14.

@El_Capitan: Is that 3 fan setup yours? Its unique. I never saw 3 fan twin tower air cooler setup.

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is also another really good cooler.

Having used a large number of coolers, both traditional and the self enclosed liquid, all my personal machines use the slef enclosed liquid. They tend to be easier to work with and do a great job of cooling. Now yes you can get air coolers that cool better but does it really matter that much? Only if you plan to push heavy overclock. In day to day use even with a decent overclock the temp difference is around 2C or so, not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. As for lower cost, it is true that there are some good air coolers that cost less money. However some of them block RAM slots or are just a bear to install. The liquid approach is just easier to work with.<BR><BR>

@El_Capitan: Is that 3 fan setup yours? Its unique. I never saw 3 fan twin tower air cooler setup.

Yup, 3 fan setup. Not many are seen because you have to ask Noctua to send you an extra mounting clip, which they'll do for free if you have a Noctua NH-D14 invoice to show them. Plus, people have to buy a 3rd fan on an already expensive air cooler. I've noticed that it really doesn't help the cooling on an i7 2600K, as opposed to how it helped cooling on an i7 920 back in the day. There's been no real temp drops during load, however, normal average operating temps are down by ~5C, which is nice, I guess. I imagine I'd get a 2C load temp drop if all the fans were going at 12V's, but I prefer the extra quiet until the graphics card fan kicks into high gear.

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is also another really good cooler.

+1 The Phanteks cooler beats the Noctua NH-D14 almost every time in terms of performance. I would grab one of those and not worry about the maintenance of water cooling.