Microsoft Introduces New Surface

bp9801

Microsoft has announced the new Surface, which is the Windows 8 tablet.

Will come in two versions - one with Windows RT for ARM processors and the other for Windows 8 Pro for Intel x86 processors. Built-in kickstand, full suite of Windows apps, Netflix, and more.

10.6" full HD touchscreen, front and rear cameras, weighs under 2 pounds for either processor version. Touch Cover features a mutlitouch keyboard and trackpad, while the Type Cover has tactile keys with 1.5mm of travel.

Looking carefully at the images at Surface.com and just noticed something in one of them:

about2.jpg The reflection on the Gorilla Glass puts the Windows logo behind the glass. I am assuming that logo is a button, because it makes sense to have that function. That would mean then that there are no buttons on the front of the tablet. A volume rocker can be seen in the same image and a power button must be around too (haven't seen it in an image yet) but did Microsoft just design a tablet with fewer buttons than the iPad?

Edit: Just looked more closely at the gallery images and there is only one physical button and the volume rocker.

It's looking like Microsoft has achieved the goal of a device with no physical buttons needed for the interface. Not a first though, as my Galaxy Nexus shows, but I seem to recall that being a goal Jobs had, but we still don't see with the iPad, iPod, and iPhone.

Too bad they're like 5 years too late getting into the market...

Only one can be first, just like how only one can be best. They aren't first and while they might not (or probably not, hard to say now) be the best, it doesn't look like they will be too far from it. At least it appears they are definitely aiming for the best.

Wonder how much it costs...

Microsoft didn't announce specifics. It said the Windows RT one will be similar to other ARM-powered tablets while the Windows 8 Pro one will be similar to Ultrabooks. So, maybe $400 and $800 for the smallest storage size for each? I'm sure we'll know for sure before long.

Only one can be first, just like how only one can be best. They aren't first and while they might not (or probably not, hard to say now) be the best, it doesn't look like they will be too far from it. At least it appears they are definitely aiming for the best.

:withstupid:

Will this be an Xbox or an Xbox 360 though, only time will tell :cheers:

I think it's pretty slick. I still don't see me personally getting a tablet though. But this seems to be on that I would seriously consider as a laptop replacement.

I thought that too until the HP firesale a year or so ago. I picked up one for a hundred bucks because why not? Hacked in ice cream sandwich and bam! Instant productivity. I use it at work and school every day, in addition to having goofing off apps installed as well. I finally see the reason behind this tablet craze.

Anyway, I am interested to see how this new tab functions and stands up to the ipad. My company uses ipads almost exclusively and I have the honor of testing the alternatives so I hope to get my hands on one soon after launch :evilgrin:

Looking carefully at the images at Surface.com and just noticed something in one of them:

[picture] The reflection on the Gorilla Glass puts the Windows logo behind the glass. I am assuming that logo is a button, because it makes sense to have that function. That would mean then that there are no buttons on the front of the tablet. A volume rocker can be seen in the same image and a power button must be around too (haven't seen it in an image yet) but did Microsoft just design a tablet with fewer buttons than the iPad?

Edit: Just looked more closely at the gallery images and there is only one physical button and the volume rocker.

It's looking like Microsoft has achieved the goal of a device with no physical buttons needed for the interface. Not a first though, as my Galaxy Nexus shows, but I seem to recall that being a goal Jobs had, but we still don't see with the iPad, iPod, and iPhone.

I don't know about you guys, but I like physical buttons. They give me feedback, I love the light click I get from my hand-me-down Samsung Admire.

I don't know about you guys, but I like physical buttons. They give me feedback, I love the light click I get from my hand-me-down Samsung Admire.

My point was more that Apple hasn't pulled it off yet but MS has. Physical buttons depend for me.

I'm really happy with the buttons on my Nexus and on my older Incredible. The Nexus just has them on the screen while the Incredible has them behind glass, but are touch sensitive like the Nexus. On something small like those though, believe it or not, but I like the onscreen keyboard. My brother has a Droid 2 with its physical keyboard, but it seems so cramped compared to the onscreen keyboard of even my old Incredible. Something as big as a tablet though, I'm going to want a physical keyboard for. I guess it has to do with the screen size primarily and what I can see as I type. On a small screen, like a phone, the keyboard and the text are easily visible at the same time, so I can see where my fingers are and what I'm typing in a single glance. On a tablet though (like the touch screen of my laptop) the keyboard and text can be far enough apart that I either don't see what I'm typing or where my fingers are.

Ironically the only button on any of my mobile devices that I do dislike is the button on the front of my iPod. This isn't because I agree with Jobs and wish it didn't have any buttons but because the thing doesn't work right all the time. I can press it and nothing happens or the wrong thing happens because it just doesn't respond as it should (I press it twice but it doesn't do what it should, so I press it again only to have it bring up the two-press menu for a moment as it then goes back to the home screens because of that third press).