Sign in to follow this  
John C

New to the forum, with questions

I recently built a pc and was wondering if over clocking would be beneficial for me. Also, can someone explain over clocking for me? To my understanding, all it yields is more heat but faster speed? Here's my setup.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard

Ati radeon X850 pro graphics card

AMD athalon 64 3200 754 socket size

Pc3200 ddr400 memory 3gb total

linksys wireless 2.4ghz network card

NetGear 10/100mb/s network card

300 watt power supply with 12v atx

3 hard drives, one sata other two standard

2 CD drives, one with cdr-w

All in an apex case.

I'd it worth or even possible to OC?

Welocome to the forums. Suggest you read this for what OC'ing is. Yeah you could overclock, but you would not really yeild very much that would be of benifit on such an old platform. There are so many variables that need to be taken into account. That PSU for example is probably a cheap under powered unit that would likely blow up if not stable, as an example. Overclocking is a precise science that needs to be treated with great care. As an experiment with owning a newer Rig, then yeah. Otherwise no imo.

ya you can increase the core clock and the memory speed of your gpu using an overclocking utility. I use msi afterburner. It's possible to over clock but its not going to increase your performance enough to run any of todays games. If you plan on buying new hardware in the near future you could try over clocking your system just for learning purposes

How old of a setup is it? I received everything except the CPU, case, and DDR400 memory for free and dont know much about the stuff at all

most of the stuff looks to be at least 5 years old.

It's 2005-2006 era stuff. Pretty old but for free you can't complain!

Welcome to OCC, we still have an AMD64 3200+ in our basement and I used to run an X850XT back around that era :biggrin: