GTX 470 and BF3

Just out of curiosity...

I've seen multiple posts here and around the web describing how difficult it is to max out BF3 at 1080p, even with the newer cards. Well I am still rocking the reference 470 (OC specs in my sig) and it runs BF3 nearly maxed out at roughly 50fps. I say "nearly maxed out" because I turned down some of the AA settings since FXAA came out. However, it has always run this smoothly, even with the higher AA settings before FXAA.

Am I not understanding the issue, or am I just lucky?

Maxed out includes cranking the AA to the max for some people.

With FXAA I honestly don't see the point. It looks really good with a near zero performance hit. :P

Maxed out includes cranking the AA to the max for some people.

Aka Nyt :P

But now I try run 2-4xMSAA with FXAA on max settings since my new 2560x1440 res is a killer

Yeah it takes a big bite out of performance. Look at the benchmarks on Anand and with FXAA and you get 45 fps. Turn on MSAA and youre down to 31.

GTX470 benchmarks

For close to 60 fps at full max settings, you need a GTX670 minimum and for some reason, Nvidia cards seem to handle the game better than AMD cards. So it is a pretty demanding game. Which is nice cause we need more games out there pushing the graphics envelope.

BF3 Max settings benchmarks

Edited by MacLeod

Just out of curiosity...

I've seen multiple posts here and around the web describing how difficult it is to max out BF3 at 1080p, even with the newer cards. Well I am still rocking the reference 470 (OC specs in my sig) and it runs BF3 nearly maxed out at roughly 50fps. I say "nearly maxed out" because I turned down some of the AA settings since FXAA came out. However, it has always run this smoothly, even with the higher AA settings before FXAA.

Am I not understanding the issue, or am I just lucky?

Shurman I am really not here to Brag, loaded statement right, but even my older generation GTX 480's are able to max out BF3 without any trouble. settings completely maxed out without lag. This is also before I had SLI enabled in the game. Without SLI enabled the system will run at a consistent 60-90 FPS in the campaign or in the Multiplayer game. With SLI enabled the FPS will Drive itself so High that I have to turn on Vsync or it will glitch my Monitor... Thats with FPS raising to over 200 per second at times.

Really I think its just some of the cards having issues with the games coding or something to that regard.

Yeah it takes a big bite out of performance. Look at the benchmarks on Anand and with FXAA and you get 45 fps. Turn on MSAA and youre down to 31.

GTX470 benchmarks

For close to 60 fps at full max settings, you need a GTX670 minimum and for some reason, Nvidia cards seem to handle the game better than AMD cards. So it is a pretty demanding game. Which is nice cause we need more games out there pushing the graphics envelope.

BF3 Max settings benchmarks

Hmm that's good to know. For me it doesn't really add that much in terms of visual accuracy vs the FXAA, so I might as well just leave that on. I totally agree with you that we need more demanding games though.

Shurman I am really not here to Brag

'Nuff said :lol:

Hmm that's good to know. For me it doesn't really add that much in terms of visual accuracy vs the FXAA, so I might as well just leave that on. I totally agree with you that we need more demanding games though.

It bugs me. Im just riddled with OCD and ADD too so it drives me crazy not having everything maxed. I feel like a moron for not getting all the eye candy I paid for. Yeah, I know, Im a loser. :lol:

Thats why Im really putting off the temptation to upgrade my GPU. I have to keep constantly talking myself out of it. Newegg has a XFX 7950 right now for $323 shipped with a $20 MIR. Its been in my cart for 2 days now and Ive come ever so close to pulling the trigger.

It bugs me. Im just riddled with OCD and ADD too so it drives me crazy not having everything maxed. I feel like a moron for not getting all the eye candy I paid for. Yeah, I know, Im a loser. :lol:

Thats why Im really putting off the temptation to upgrade my GPU. I have to keep constantly talking myself out of it. Newegg has a XFX 7950 right now for $323 shipped with a $20 MIR. Its been in my cart for 2 days now and Ive come ever so close to pulling the trigger.

I know the feeling, you are not a loser :P It's probably a good thing I don't have any money right now :lol:

'Nuff said :lol:

Hey Shurman are you sure they don't have some waterblocks laying around at performance-pcs that you could put in. A decent overclock my bring you up or even grab another for SLI??