Problem with videocard or monitor

Hi guys, I turned on Warcraft 3 today and it was making artifacts, like someone was slicing my screen constantly with a sword. It would shatter and etc, but I could still make out most of the screen.

I turned on Diablo 3 and it was working fine, but maybe a little stuttering. Starcraft 2 plays perfectly with no stuttering.

So I quickly turned down my videocard's OC to Stock, and it still happens.

Everything in the Windows desktop looks fine, except when I click the start button, you know the left side column has my recently used programs, and the background is white? Well there are some pixels jumping around there.

Also, the SC2 loading screen (which is 2d?) had some pixels jumping around too. Tiny little pixels.

I don't have another videocard to test with...I guess I could try to borrow my friend's monitor and try to see if it's my monitor that is dying but that does not seem likely as my Diablo 3 and SC2 plays fine with no interruptions.

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??

Edited by nickk47

Hi guys, I turned on Warcraft 3 today and it was making artifacts, like someone was slicing my screen constantly with a sword. It would shatter and etc, but I could still make out most of the screen.

I turned on Diablo 3 and it was working fine, but maybe a little stuttering. Starcraft 2 plays perfectly with no stuttering.

So I quickly turned down my videocard's OC to Stock, and it still happens.

Everything in the Windows desktop looks fine, except when I click the start button, you know the left side column has my recently used programs, and the background is white? Well there are some pixels jumping around there.

Also, the SC2 loading screen (which is 2d?) had some pixels jumping around too. Tiny little pixels.

I don't have another videocard to test with...I guess I could try to borrow my friend's monitor and try to see if it's my monitor that is dying but that does not seem likely as my Diablo 3 and SC2 plays fine with no interruptions.

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??

Run furmark to get a better idea of what is going on. If you still have artifacts then something is seriously screwed up.

I googled common problems related to graphical artifacts and the only two things that stood out were a driver issue (which is hard to believe unless you allowed windows to search for driver updates along with windows updates) and some sort of component failure due to heat.

That is my best guess. I am not a video card guru because I upgrade way too frequently to have ran into any GPU issues, so please don't rely too heavily on what I have to say.

I am downloading 12.4 drivers right now, and temps are fine. It never goes above 67 C.

I did run furmark, and I passed it :(

i'll see if it still happens after the driver update.

Well, after the 12.4 patch, nothing really changed. I still have graphics glitching on WC3 but I played Diablo 3 for an hour and it was fine lol....whats going on with warcraft??

Update: Warcraft 3 always glitches, Diablo 3 sometimes glitches and sometimes it would be perfectly normal.

This all started happening after I let my computer run overnight doing a bit of folding. Maybe that damaged the card? It was on an OC then.

Anyways I have concluded that it is a GPU problem and will be replacing my 5770 with something a little more powerful under $200, when my videocard decides to crap out on me more often than now.

This 5770 has served me extremely well for 2 years!

Edited by nickk47

I assume you've cleaned your computer recently? It could be artifacting due to heat buildup somewhere.

Also, if you haven't already, try shutting it off for 30 minutes or so then fire it up straight into WC3. If it doesn't artifact right away it's probably heat-related.