Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Review

bp9801

$40? I was expecting something like $25 after seeing the performance (or lack thereof). :teehee:

It'd be nice for a low-power HTPC though since it's so quiet.

I'm wondering if the reviewer verified the contact patch on the cooler. It almost seems as if it didn't have very good contact between it and the CPU.

That was what I thought after my first couple of runs after that I pulled the Gammaxx 400 and verified that that I had an even layer of thermal paste spread across both surfaces. I reseated the heat sink several times using both the supplied thermal paste and arctic silver. Unfortunately in the end the Gammaxx 400 just was unable to dissipate the heat quickly enough. In a push/pull configuration with higher rpm fans we may have seen better performance numbers from the Gammaxx 400 but not to the point that it would have made a real difference.

I wonder if one or more of the heatpipes was/is faulty. I looked up another review of the same unit after reading this review and it seemed to do pretty well. Pretty disapointing that it's so poor, the price is not bad and them including spare fan clips is a nice touch for a budget friendly cooler.

I wonder if one or more of the heatpipes was/is faulty. I looked up another review of the same unit after reading this review and it seemed to do pretty well. Pretty disapointing that it's so poor, the price is not bad and them including spare fan clips is a nice touch for a budget friendly cooler.

Did you pay attention to the fact that a 3960X was used and not something like a 2600k which has a much lower heat output.

Either way the entire thing is overpriced for the performance or lack thereof that is supplies. Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Good first review cryo

I am so burnt out on water cooling. That's primarily why I've taken an interest in air coolers again. They've come a long way from the days of skived fin solid copper coolers with 8000+ RPM 60mmX38mm fans on them. Thank god...

Did you pay attention to the fact that a 3960X was used and not something like a 2600k which has a much lower heat output.

Either way the entire thing is overpriced for the performance or lack thereof that is supplies. Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Good first review cryo

Thank you Stonerboy!

Fail CPU cooler in terms of both performance & pricing.

Few days ago, I saw another review of deepcool cooler here and have said the same thing that nothing can beat Hyper 212+/evo in its price range.

@Cryonics: nice review!

Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Are you not impressed by the performance of H100? :unsure:

Are you not impressed by the performance of H100? :unsure:

Hell no it's sucks for performance to noise compared to noctura and phanteks. That's before you get to the fact there is a 100% mark up on all the corsair water coolers in australia.

You can buy and xspc kit with rx240, d5 and res, waterblock, fans and tubing. At the same price as the H100.

At that point though you may as well step into full custom.