Start up issues with windows 7

Shredalicious42

I have recently got an SSD for my boot drive running Windows 7 Ultimate and it has some issues upon startup, where the boot sequence fails to get past the 'starting windows' screen, in which case I reset and it prompts me for start up repair. I insert my Windows 7 disc and nothing happens, my monitors go into standby and I just skip the repair and it sometimes works. This has been happening for the last couple of days and it is beginning to become really frustrating, I thought I would consult the Overclockers Club forums for advice, I havent bothered to ask anywhere else.

Had the same issue with mine. I eventually gave up and installed windows all together. Just one question. Did you transfer the data from another drive to the ssd..

Shred - when you installed Windows the first time did you have any other hard drives connected other than the SSD? If so, Windows has written approx. 100Mb of boot files to one of your other drives. Not sure why it does that, but it does. I'm about 100% sure this is the scenario you have. If that is a true statement, the only way to get it right (assuming you've already made the correct AHCI setting in BIOS), is to disconnect all other drives, connect ONLY the SSD, and then reinstall Windows. After that you can connect whatever other hard drives you have.

Yes I do remember disconnecting all other drives during the installation, I followed a SSD install guide, but there was no mention about the AHCI settings, during the installation I remember visiting the BIOS a few times, but never for AHCI, please explain what I need to do with that, kinda noob install.

Ok. Are you running the latest firmware release for your SSD? If not you should update the firmware.

You can find the AHCI setting in your BIOS here;

Integrated Peripherals > OnChip SATA Type > AHCI (your three choices there are Native IDE Mode, AHCI Mode, RAID Mode).

Ok. Are you running the latest firmware release for your SSD? If not you should update the firmware.

You can find the AHCI setting in your BIOS here;

Integrated Peripherals > OnChip SATA Type > AHCI (your three choices there are Native IDE Mode, AHCI Mode, RAID Mode).

Ok I have downloaded OCZ's firmware toolbox software, it says it cannot update the firmware on a main drive (makes sense), so OCZ says to run it off another drive and use the toolbox then. How would I go about that?

Shred - based on your previous post I'm assuming that you aren't running the latest firmware, hence the need for an update? If that statement is true, there are a couple different ways to go about it.

1. If you have an external SATA enclosure you can install the SSD into the enclosure, attach it to another Windows machine and update it from there. I've only done this using an eSATA interface, so I'm not sure if it would work connected via USB or Firewire, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

2. If you only have a single PC to work with you would have to begin with a regular HDD as your primary drive. Install Windows on that drive and then connect your SSD to one of the other available SATA connectors on your motherboard and then flash it.

your ssd may not be set as the primary drive. use the first sata input on your mobo and unplug any other harddrives. if that doesnt work try reinstalling windows 7. I installed my ssd and changed it to ahci in the bios and it would hang up and not start windows. I found a great guide on ssd optimization. I changed it to ahci through the registry and it worked fine.

1. Hit the Winkey + ‘R’ to get you to the ‘Run’ menu.

2. Type ‘Regedit’.

3. Select the file path:

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci”

4. Right Click and modify Start from 3 to 0 and Restart.

thats how to change to ahci ill post full link below

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/2/

Edited by Chann3l

That SSD guide really helped, I still have some issues with startup, does not want to get past the 'starting windows' screen sometimes, but other than that my system is really stable. I may reinstall windows soon, just gotta find time to do that cause its an all day affair.