Should I upgrade to AMD FX? Thoughts?

Apparently the TDP and power consumption on the FX are not what they should be, and the temps are similar to Phenom II, I will just stick with what I got for now...perhaps the next line of AMD CPUs will use the AM3+ so I didnt upgrade for nothing...

Must admit, never really checked that out, although I did expect it not be that much lower, just more efficient on power draw. I concur with you, stick for now :)

The graphs from that link show them really close in terms of performance. Of course, in some things the 2500k is faster, in others the FX-8150 is faster (in Dirt3 the FX-8150 performed unexpectedly well and the 2500k far from it.). In other reviews, its the same thing. In some things the FX-8150 is better, in others its worst.

Another thing is that the FX-8150 is cheaper than a 2500k around here too.

I even read (from normal members) in some other places that the FX-8120 at the same clock of the 8150, its about the same performance and the FX-8120 is even cheaper than the FX-8150. Altough, since it come from members, it may be not be true.

So, if he does have a 990FX, why not wait for the FX-8150 to lower its price even more right before the Piledriver is released, or even get a Piledriver?

Edited by XtremeDS

:pfp:

What are you smoking and di you bring enough for everyone?

Now Ed...... Aren't we being a bit hypocritical here? Didn't we have a massive argument a couple months ago about this where you were defending the 8150 against the 2500K.

Apologize to the nice gentleman please. :)

Now Ed...... Aren't we being a bit hypocritical here? Didn't we have a massive argument a couple months ago about this where you were defending the 8150 against the 2500K.

Apologize to the nice gentleman please. :)

Didn't he argue against switching when you already had the 8150?

Regardless - moving from a 955 to an 8150 is a sideways move at best.

The graphs from that link show them really close in terms of performance. Of course, in some things the 2500k is faster, in others the FX-8150 is faster (in Dirt3 the FX-8150 performed unexpectedly well and the 2500k far from it.). In other reviews, its the same thing. In some things the FX-8150 is better, in others its worst.

Another thing is that the FX-8150 is cheaper than a 2500k around here too.

I even read (from normal members) in some other places that the FX-8120 at the same clock of the 8150, its about the same performance and the FX-8120 is even cheaper than the FX-8150. Altough, since it come from members, it may be not be true.

So, if he does have a 990FX, why not wait for the FX-8150 to lower its price even more right before the Piledriver is released, or even get a Piledriver?

While I understand your logic, I do not think that is the OP's best option. The truth is that the 955 x4 chip can play BF3 and crysis 2 pretty well. Since I have yet to see a more demanding game (keep in mind, I am not all that big of a gamer so please don't crucify me if I don't know what THE most demanding game is) I would say that the 955 chips should stay in his PC.

Aside from the OP, the i5 2500K is a better chip than the 8150 most of the time. The i5 2500K in the us I can usually find for the same price as the 8150 so given a choice (for gaming in particular), the i5 2500K is going to be a better choice since clock performance is going to be more important than cores.

@ the OP: Those temps are a tad higher than what they should be if you are using the antec cooler. It is not abnormal, so it is nothing to go on a massive witch hunt, but they could probably be dropped a few degrees with some minor adjustments.

I would go into BIOS and see what your CPU voltage is set to, then go into the OS and see what your voltage is doing in CPU-Z. If your voltage is bouncing around a lot I would try to manually set it to the stock voltage.

You could try to get some better TIM and use that, and I would replace the fans on the cooler you are using. The cougar fans we showed you on the other thread would be a good fit.

Lastly (and this is just a theory) it is possible that you are putting strain on your CPU by not running your ram in dual channel mode. The extra strain could be forcing your CPU to draw more power and as a consequence produces more heat. I do not know if that happens on AMD builds, but that was happening when I had my 1366 build and I had all sorts of weird ram crammed on there. Like I said though, it is just a theory.

• Like 1

Didn't he argue against switching when you already had the 8150?

Regardless - moving from a 955 to an 8150 is a sideways move at best.

No, The 8150 was never mine. I had two setups for 8150. One was a chip and mobo I got from microcenter with the intention of testing and returning so I could make a review of the BD line up. The second setup was one that my friend let me barrow because he thought my review was not accurate and that maybe I got a bad chip or something. Alongside the second AMD 8150 I convinced another one of my friends to loan me his 1155 setup with the 2500K on board.

After a few days of testing I gave both of them back and pretty much concluded that the BD line up was crap due to pricing, performance, features, and a lot more.

I myself never truly owned a 8150 platform as my personal rig. We were arguing because Computer Ed's whole argument was that AMD or BD was never "crap" because they still did a good job despite their short comings, and my whole point was that AMD/BD was crap because if you were going to spend the money on a CPU, why on earth would you spend it on a CPU that has short comings at all? Keep in mind at that point the 2600K was only 30 bucks more than the 8150 and the 2500K was 10-15 dollars more than the 8120, and when you saw the SB vs BD charts it practically spelled out that BD was a waste of money.

Now of course it is a bit different because AMD has dropped their prices so dramatically. I mean if you are a gamer, the 2500K is still the best option by far. However, if you were to build a budget workstation, the 8150 might not be so bad anymore.