Should I upgrade to AMD FX? Thoughts?

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I would like to get some opinions on upgrading to AMD's FX CPUs. I know they haven't received much praise, if any, but I am considering upgrading from an old Phenom II X4 955 that runs really hot in my NZXT H2 case. I know this will spark a fanboy war, but keep your thoughts to yourselves, I could care less about what intel fans have to say. Should I wait for AMD's next release?

the 955 performs better in some cases....

I'd prolly opt for better cooling but if you're itching to buy something new to play with then by all means go for it...

Just because AMD doesnt perform as well as Intel does clock for clock or what knot doesnt mean they should be excluded. I actually love them just for the cost vs performance... they are plenty cheap and for what i do they work great

Well I do have an Antec Kuhler 620 being used on the 955, temps run anywhere idle from 34 to 44 (celcius) to on load temps of 48 and 53 sometimes. Im using GELID thermalpaste which is unreal stuff and I did notice a severe cooling tradeoff from my old NZXT Lexa S case which did have a side intake fan. The NZXT H2 does suffer a bit in the airflow but it is superbly quiet. I agree, I love AMD's stuff because of the price and performance, I guess I will just have to wait til the fall when their new stuff comes out.

Aside from getting a home air con unit :D you could look towards perhaps a Cooler Master or a Silverstone. But as the other peeps have said, if your temps are not nearing BBQ level, not too much to worry about.

hmmm alrighty then, just seems to get a little hot sometimes, room heats up quite a bit and now with the summer coming its gonna get toasty. I guess its all part of getting a quiet optimized case.

An FX chip would just create more heat.

Skip it and stay with what you have. :cheers:

Apparently the TDP and power consumption on the FX are not what they should be, and the temps are similar to Phenom II, I will just stick with what I got for now...perhaps the next line of AMD CPUs will use the AM3+ so I didnt upgrade for nothing...