Fogel

Prometheus (SPOILERS) - Plot Discussion

BACK OUT NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE

This topic WILL spoil the movie for you if you have not seen it. For the first post I use (spoiler) tags just in case someone clicks on this topic thinking the spoiler tag in the title was for grins. Though you are on your own after this. The warning has been made.

This topic is for people who have seen the movie and would like to discuss the intentional questions Ridley Scott left unanswered.

Opening Scene

I think the intention of the opening scene is to get us to believe this is how the Engineers created human life, but can we really assume this is Earth for the Waterfall scene? Why would humans evolve but the engineers do not if we are from the same DNA? Also if the DNA was indeed a match, wouldn't we have to be far more similar than depicted in the movie?

LV-223 vs LV-426

This movie takes place on LV-223 while the first movie takes place on LV-426. The Engineer on 426 was much larger ...which could hint towards evolution, or just simple plot hole. In Prometheus David aluded to there being more ships on LV-223 so it is quite possible some other Engineers were awakened and flew to LV-426 ...or perhaps it was before they went into cryostasis.

Black Ooze

So we see it used a few different ways and all were different.

2. We see it completely destroy an engineer and reform his DNA
  3. We see it radically change some worms to freaky white cobra snakes
  4. We see it ooze out on its own from the vases ...which leads one to wonder what is the point of the vase
  5. We see it create life in Dr. Shaw - which by the way was the only female that interacted with it
  6. We see it create abnormal mutations when applied in a small dose

David

What is his purpose? Androids are designed to not hurt humans yet David clearly violates this. Though he clearly baits the archeologist by asking how far he would go to prove his theory before he dips his finger into the glass. He waits for "approval" before following through on the order given to him. When David tells Vickers the order he got was "try harder" it is almost as if they knew what the black ooze could do despite the limited testing he did on moon. Seems rather careless if the entire goal was to get the Engineers to help extend Weyland's life. David's actions do not seem to match up with the real mission goal. Also, what is the motive in helping Dr. Shaw at the end - self preservation?

Dr. Shaw's Spawn

Anyone else wonder if this is the early form of the Queen we see in Aliens?

Dr. Shaw

Is she going to LV-426 or do you think that is too simple and she is going elsewhere?

The Engineers

Early in the movie it is stated we make androids because we can, it is as simple as that. But if the intro of the movie truly is the birth of humans per the Aliens universe then it seems to have a bit more forethought than that. Why send 1 guy millions of light years away to sacrifice himself to create a new species? According to ancient cave drawings they had to have visited again to send this invitation. When humans create androids there is benefit from it, immediate benefit too. What would the Engineers gain from randomly creating life?

Not to mention it appears they have no control afterwards ...as well as the desire to destroy us on site once they see us. When the humans first discover the ruins they see a projection of an Engineer running but they do not show from what or even give clues. The restless horrible inhabitants we see in the rest of the movie is a result of the Prometheus intervention. If you removed the crew's interaction of the planet, does that mean Aliens would have never been born? If so, what took out the Engineers?

Seeing as how interaction with the Black Ooze had different results every time, it almost seems we can draw a conclusion the face hugging inpreganating aliens wouldn't have been born without Dr. Shaw. If that is true then we can assume the crashed ship on LV-426 is after the events of Prometheus.

I guess I'll fill in my thoughts. Those interested in the Aliens (and Predator) universe might enjoy the movie. Those that aren't might still think it's okay. One of the writers is Damon Lindelof, who also co-wrote the "Lost" series. Which is why for every discovery, there's more questions to find the answer you hope to find. If you didn't like "Lost", then you might not like Prometheus.

Opening Scene

I think the opening scene is an Engineer on Earth sacrificing himself in order to spur along what will help evolve into the Human species. It doesn't make sense to include this scene if that isn't the case.

LV-223 vs LV-426

I think the size of the Engineers in the movie was made smaller to make it easier to include them. Making them the original size might have just been harder to fit them in certain scenes.

Black Ooze

It's left as a mystery, but most likely something that spurs evolutionary progress. If infected in a living being, it destroys that being but merges it into the environment. So for example, Dr Shaw and her husband causes a 3-month pregnancy overnight to an Octopus-like creature. This Octopus-like creature and an Engineer brings about an Alien Queen. The vases are just containers to hold the black ooze until it is turned on. It would then be activated by C02 plus condensation (presence of living beings). It is alluded to that the Engineers were aiming it towards Earth to destroy or mutate everything on the planet. The reason why is unknown. I believe that's what Prometheus 2 will be about. It could be that the Engineers are being attacked from an unknown force where the Black Ooze originated from, so they wanted to release it on Earth to see if they could analyze the transformations to figure out how to stop it before it reaches their home planet.

David

Just another android, but created not by the government, but from the CEO of the company that expedited the mission. He's programmed to be a slave, so unlike Alien and Aliens, does not have normal "save human life" protocols. He's there to be compared to how Humans are to Engineers as Androids are to Humans. Once Weyland is dead, he has no active protocol left, so does the only thing logical to do - which is to help Dr. Shaw.

Dr. Shaw's Spawn

Definitely hints at being an Alien Queen. Which doesn't make sense, as Aliens have been around long before that and seen in ancient Human civilization, along with the Predator species. I'm thinking instead of a plot hole, it's a new breed of Aliens mixed with that of Humans and Engineers.

The Engineers

The reason why they helped evolutionary progress on Earth, is a mystery. The reason why, or clues to why, might be found in Prometheus 2. It was Dr. Shaw's original mission, but the reason why the Engineers changed their mind is her new mission.

As stated before, I don't think this movie is supposed to show the origin of the Alien species, but a newly evolved Alien species. As seen from other Alien movies and comic books, alien spawn take traits of the genetic material of the host. If it's in the host of a human (Alien and Aliens), dog (Alien 3), or a Predator (Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem), it takes traits from them.

Therefore, my guess is that some creature is finding its way to different lifeforms throughout the universe, specifically the Engineer's Home planet, and they want to find a way to stop it by seeing all the variations it can cause. A sacrificed Engineer can help spur evolutionary progress towards Humans. An infected Human with an ordinary human creates an Octopus-like facehugger. An Octopus-like facehugger and an Engineer creates an Alien.

Black Ooze + Engineer = Death and DNA transfer to the environment through water

Black Ooze + Human = Unknown

Black Oozed Human + Ordinary Human spawn = Octopus-like facehugger

Octopus-like facehugger + Engineer = Alien

That's pretty much all we can gleam off what's shown in the movie.

The crashed ship on LV-426 doesn't necessarily have to happen after the events of Prometheus.

Why the Engineers would run into the sacrificial pit full of vases that contain Black Ooze to escape something alludes to something chasing after them, but not the Black Ooze itself (unless it's airborne, but I think that's highly unlikely). Though who they were running from was never answered in the movie, but those odd blips that weren't moving could have been that. I guess we'll never really know until the sequels.

My guess is, is that since Black Ooze infected Engineers can't spawn Aliens, and Aliens are invading their Home Planet, they need to figure out how Aliens just showed up at their Home Planet. That means the Black Ooze was put into Engineer-created planets, which spawned Aliens, which are now infecting the Engineer's Home Planet, or some such. Perhaps the Engineers found that other Earth-like planets the Engineers helped for to create human-like creatures were infected by the Black Ooze, which created Aliens. Therefore maybe releasing the Black Ooze to Earth is to test and see if that's really the case. If so, then the Engineers would need to destroy all their planets they helped evolve, or re-engineer the Black Ooze so it doesn't form into horrible Aliens. I dunno, just a guess.

Edited by El_Capitan

I've seen all the originals (the Quadrilogy is a great deal if you can find it, theatrical releases of each plus the director's cuts) and this movie just pissed me off. Every question I had...it didn't answer, really. It just started new ones.

If Lost is like this - there's no way I'd enjoy it at all. :lol:

I've seen all the originals (the Quadrilogy is a great deal if you can find it, theatrical releases of each plus the director's cuts) and this movie just pissed me off. Every question I had...it didn't answer, really. It just started new ones.

If Lost is like this - there's no way I'd enjoy it at all. :lol:

Lol, "Lost" was definitely like this. The reason people kept watching the show was to hopefully find an answer to what what going on. However, the writers didn't expect the show to be that much of a hit, so they kind of made up Seasons 3 - 5 to extend it. Then the answers in the last episode of Season 6 explained some of it, but not all of it.

People who liked "Lost" also hated it. :)

Wow did you type your first reply from your phone while waiting for the movie to start ...because those messages were 2hrs apart and that is how long the movie was. :lol:

I didn't see it in the movie theater.. evilgrin.gif

I highly doubt though that the ENTIRE Engineer race wanted Earth destroyed. Maybe it was just some isolated terrorist group looking to cause havoc within their empire? The Captain did say that the planet they were on was a military installation and that these guys were making bio-weapons.

Why would the Engineer race let some planet like that go silent if it were a controlled military installation?

I don't think they thought about any of this crap when they were writing the script. They were just like...OOH SHINY LET'S DO IT! :teehee:

Yeah this movie did have a lot of holes and weird random scenes going on. But the plot overall made up for that.

I guess I'll fill in my thoughts. Those interested in the Aliens (and Predator) universe might enjoy the movie. Those that aren't might still think it's okay. One of the writers is Damon Lindelof, who also co-wrote the "Lost" series. Which is why for every discovery, there's more questions to find the answer you hope to find. If you didn't like "Lost", then you might not like Prometheus.

Opening Scene

I think the opening scene is an Engineer on Earth sacrificing himself in order to spur along what will help evolve into the Human species. It doesn't make sense to include this scene if that isn't the case.

LV-223 vs LV-426

I think the size of the Engineers in the movie was made smaller to make it easier to include them. Making them the original size might have just been harder to fit them in certain scenes.

Black Ooze

It's left as a mystery, but most likely something that spurs evolutionary progress. If infected in a living being, it destroys that being but merges it into the environment. So for example, Dr Shaw and her husband causes a 3-month pregnancy overnight to an Octopus-like creature. This Octopus-like creature and an Engineer brings about an Alien Queen. The vases are just containers to hold the black ooze until it is turned on. It would then be activated by C02 plus condensation (presence of living beings). It is alluded to that the Engineers were aiming it towards Earth to destroy or mutate everything on the planet. The reason why is unknown. I believe that's what Prometheus 2 will be about. It could be that the Engineers are being attacked from an unknown force where the Black Ooze originated from, so they wanted to release it on Earth to see if they could analyze the transformations to figure out how to stop it before it reaches their home planet.

David

Just another android, but created not by the government, but from the CEO of the company that expedited the mission. He's programmed to be a slave, so unlike Alien and Aliens, does not have normal "save human life" protocols. He's there to be compared to how Humans are to Engineers as Androids are to Humans. Once Weyland is dead, he has no active protocol left, so does the only thing logical to do - which is to help Dr. Shaw.

Dr. Shaw's Spawn

Definitely hints at being an Alien Queen. Which doesn't make sense, as Aliens have been around long before that and seen in ancient Human civilization, along with the Predator species. I'm thinking instead of a plot hole, it's a new breed of Aliens mixed with that of Humans and Engineers.

The Engineers

The reason why they helped evolutionary progress on Earth, is a mystery. The reason why, or clues to why, might be found in Prometheus 2. It was Dr. Shaw's original mission, but the reason why the Engineers changed their mind is her new mission.

As stated before, I don't think this movie is supposed to show the origin of the Alien species, but a newly evolved Alien species. As seen from other Alien movies and comic books, alien spawn take traits of the genetic material of the host. If it's in the host of a human (Alien and Aliens), dog (Alien 3), or a Predator (Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem), it takes traits from them.

Therefore, my guess is that some creature is finding its way to different lifeforms throughout the universe, specifically the Engineer's Home planet, and they want to find a way to stop it by seeing all the variations it can cause. A sacrificed Engineer can help spur evolutionary progress towards Humans. An infected Human with an ordinary human creates an Octopus-like facehugger. An Octopus-like facehugger and an Engineer creates an Alien.

Black Ooze + Engineer = Death and DNA transfer to the environment through water

Black Ooze + Human = Unknown

Black Oozed Human + Ordinary Human spawn = Octopus-like facehugger

Octopus-like facehugger + Engineer = Alien

That's pretty much all we can gleam off what's shown in the movie.

The crashed ship on LV-426 doesn't necessarily have to happen after the events of Prometheus.

Why the Engineers would run into the sacrificial pit full of vases that contain Black Ooze to escape something alludes to something chasing after them, but not the Black Ooze itself (unless it's airborne, but I think that's highly unlikely). Though who they were running from was never answered in the movie, but those odd blips that weren't moving could have been that. I guess we'll never really know until the sequels.

My guess is, is that since Black Ooze infected Engineers can't spawn Aliens, and Aliens are invading their Home Planet, they need to figure out how Aliens just showed up at their Home Planet. That means the Black Ooze was put into Engineer-created planets, which spawned Aliens, which are now infecting the Engineer's Home Planet, or some such. Perhaps the Engineers found that other Earth-like planets the Engineers helped for to create human-like creatures were infected by the Black Ooze, which created Aliens. Therefore maybe releasing the Black Ooze to Earth is to test and see if that's really the case. If so, then the Engineers would need to destroy all their planets they helped evolve, or re-engineer the Black Ooze so it doesn't form into horrible Aliens. I dunno, just a guess.

Opening Scene

That is definitely the intent the movie wants you to believe, and I think that it is most likely what happened. Though a part of me thinks it would be really interesting if instead it was really the engineer homeworld and they infected their own homeworld, which would explain what happened to their race.

But I really don't see it going that way. I think it was simply a lazy way of explaining how the first spark of life started on earth.

LV-223 vs LV-426

I would buy that.

Black Ooze

Makes sense about the vases. Interesting theory about how the Engineers are analyzing effects before it reaches their homeworld and how they didn't engineer the black ooze. One theory I saw somewhere else is The Engineers were caught in a civil war where one side wants to protect humans and the other wants to destroy them. I can see both possibilities.

David

Really good points you bring up. Only thing that still bugs me is I fail to see how spiking the archeologist's glass acomplishes his original mission objective. Seems like it would almost be completely productive to it.

Dr. Shaw's Spawn

Are you sure about that? I don't recall them saying the xenomorph was around long before during ancient civilization time. Though even if they were, who is to say the Queen on LV-426 is truly the first queen.

The Engineers

Really, really, really good point about how the xenomorphs take on the characteristics of their host. But that is also why I think this movie is the origin of the xenomorphs. Without humans you wouldn't have the xenomorphs that we know of in Alien/Aliens. While Dr. Shaw's spawn, as you pointed out, is actually the conglomeration of the male archeologist's genes, Dr. Shaw's as well as an Engineer's.

When it showed that hologram of the Engineer's running it only showed Engineers running. Only one of them did not make it through the door. When they revived that one it showed the same exact signs the infected male archeologist showed. So it is possible they were running from that one infected Engineer. It would also explain the green slime on the door panel David found prior to the hologram. It is possible many of the Engineers were infected. If they were and lets assume they have females for the time being, it would be interesting what kind of alien/xenomorph it would spawn as a result of the mass engineer infection. Or perhaps it was contained to that one ship. And perhaps the real engineering will occur now that the Prometheus has awakened the black ooze with a planet of engineers in cryosleep.

Though you could be right, I still think the crashed ship on LV-426 is after the events of the Prometheus. I think her and her crew awakened LV-223 and they will follow her. I don't think LV-426 is their homeworld but instead they catch up with her there.

Your last paragraph is most definitely a strong possibility. The Engineers could be trying to find out either more about the black ooze itself and/or what is attacking them on their homeworld.

Waco's complaints echo exactly what most people who hate the movie. The only other complaint I see is some really do not like the premise of the movie - aliens creating the human race.

Well if Ridley gets his way then two more movies will come out which should wrap up most if not all the major questions. That is definitely not the best way to do things but I still liked Prometheus for what it was. Lots of people say they want movies that make them think but if movies keep handing over the answer how do you obtain that? For me its no different then a long epic saga they used to do on TV ...such as Lost. I've never seen it myself. I don't mind questions being answered later but I do think the writers should satisfy that thirst when wrapping up their story.

I didn't see it in the movie theater.. evilgrin.gif

I highly doubt though that the ENTIRE Engineer race wanted Earth destroyed. Maybe it was just some isolated terrorist group looking to cause havoc within their empire? The Captain did say that the planet they were on was a military installation and that these guys were making bio-weapons.

Why would the Engineer race let some planet like that go silent if it were a controlled military installation?

:lol: Fair enough

As far as your spoiler comments go, see my post above this one. I was typing it as you guys typed 5ish posts. :P I addressed that exact same point you bring up and my own thoughts.

I don't think they thought about any of this crap when they were writing the script. They were just like...OOH SHINY LET'S DO IT! :teehee:

It's a planned trilogy. It's not meant to answer all questions in this movie. :popcorn:

One thing I forgot to mention.

There was a infected human from a Black Ooze spawned worm. That human became a raving zombie with super-human strength. Not sure where to tie that in.

One thing I forgot to mention.

There was a infected human from a Black Ooze spawned worm. That human became a raving zombie with super-human strength. Not sure where to tie that in.

Yeah that too! That was so random.

ya, that was super crazy - think it was just over expose to the black ooze. Both of those guys face planted into the black ooze.

It's a planned trilogy. It's not meant to answer all questions in this movie. :popcorn:

Well they didn't answer anything. :lol: