Best free Anti Virus

slick2500

Stick to MSE.

There is no anti-virus which can catch all the problems alone every-time.

Personally, I've used avast free edition for some time and find it pretty useful.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Comodo for my personal machines, it is very aggressive so it takes a little effort to make sure it does not create an issue with some programs however nothing does as good a job of stopping an infection from occuring.

• 2 weeks later...

NOD32, simply the best.

Silly kid - he's wanting opinions on Free AV :)

Anyway, Microsoft Security Essentials on every PC I own, laptops, desktops, htpc and every new computer build or repair that I do. Add Malwarebytes as a run on demand whenever you get the urge or "think" you might need to double check for malware etc.

However, back to ESET - Not specifically NOD32, but they do have a very good online scanner utility that I've used as a double check tool if I suspect that MSE might have missed something.

Links to MSE and ESET Online Scanner;

Microsoft Security Essentials

ESET Online Scanner

AVG free for scanning. Hirens boot CD for getting rid of whatever you find. (I don't know if I can actually recommend hirens or not on this forum. You don't torrent it should I should be within the rules. @moderators: feel free to edit this thread if you need too)

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

I just use MS Security Essentials. I've used AVG and Avast before and liked them. Avast got annoying with all its little popups and noises turned on by default.

:withstupid: Haven't used Avast personally but it seems a little corny with the noises (that I am sure you turn off) but it's just unnecessary to ever have.

:withstupid: Haven't used Avast personally but it seems a little corny with the noises (that I am sure you turn off) but it's just unnecessary to ever have.

Trust me it is those noises and pop ups which make it my choice for the technically challenged members of my family. They get nice colored boxes and know when to call me for help and know how to follow my directions because it is simply and logically set up.