velazkid

Questions regarding SSD's and HDD's

Okay, so I want to by an SSD very soon, but there are a few things that I feel I need clarification on. I'll start right away and ask, if I get an SSD and install Win 7 on it, will the information on my older HDD's (2 500Gb) have all there data erased? This is partly stopping me from buying an SSD at the moment because I have a lot of movies on my second drive (not the boot drive) and I'd prefer not to lose them. I have heard however that it is a good idea to disconnect any other drives while installing Windows on a new SSD because what it does is install a recovery file on the HDD which it searches for every time the PC is booted up. Making it a slower start up. Is this a recommended action? What happens if Win 7 is installed on both my SSD and HDD?

Also I plan to RAID 0 those 2 HDD's eventually, which raises more questions. I have 4 SATA ports for hard drives on my MOBO. 2 6GB/s ports and 2 3Gb/s ports. If I put the SSD in the 6GB/s port then I'd have to put one HDD in a 6 port, and the other in a 3 port. Is this allowed, will they still work for raid? or do I have to put them both in a 3 GB/s port? Which leads me to another question. Do current HDD's even saturate the full capacity of 3Gb/s ports, and if so how much of a performance loss is there in using 3Gb/s compared to 6Gb/s? Well I think that's all I've got for now. If anybody could enlighten me I would be very thankful. I'll update this if I have anymore questions.

First. SSD your looking to buy. Second we need your motherboard model.

1. your data on your old drive will not be erased just by installing windows on a new SSD.

2. you can never be to safe and there is no harm in unplugging your old drives when installing windows on your new drive.

3. If you install windows on both your SSD and HDD then you have a dual boot system.

4. For Raid. You install your SSD on a sats6 port. and you install your HDD on Sata 3 ports.

We will need your motherboard model for more help on setting this up.

First. SSD your looking to buy. Second we need your motherboard model.

1. your data on your old drive will not be erased just by installing windows on a new SSD.

2. you can never be to safe and there is no harm in unplugging your old drives when installing windows on your new drive.

3. If you install windows on both your SSD and HDD then you have a dual boot system.

4. For Raid. You install your SSD on a sats6 port. and you install your HDD on Sata 3 ports.

We will need your motherboard model for more help on setting this up.

+1. To add to what bigball said about your raid 0 hard drives, you will not notice any difference between using sata 2 vs sata 3 with hard drives. HDDs aren't even worth putting on sata 3 connectors because they aren't fast enough to take advantage of the bandwidth.

Also, what are your system specs?

Videocard: ATI 5850 1 GB

Processor: Core i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz

Mainboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4

Memory: 8Gb(2Gbx4) 1600Mhz @ 1866

PSU: Corsair 650 PSU

2 500 gig HDD's

Well this is how it looks to be.

You have 8 sata ports. 4 x sata3, 4 x sata 6. The 4 that are 6 speed are slip it two. So 2 are on a Intel controller and 2 are on a Marvel controller ( :yucky: ).

So you install your SSD on the Intel sata 6 port set it to AHCI mode.

Install your HDD on the sata 3 ports and setup your Raid. Guide is on the ASRock website.

Done :cool2: