Sound card making noise

Tjj226_Angel

OK I just bought this xonar essence XST.

After I download the drivers and install them, the card makes this weird popping noise when the pc powers on or off. On top of that, the 3.5 mm audio jacks and the front headphone ports aren't working either.

Do you think I should just return it?

Edit: analog stereo is working oddly enough.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

When i saw the title of this thread, i thought "NO CRAP" and had a bit of a laugh

On topic:

Most audio devices make a popping or crackling sound when first being powered on or off. I wouldnt worry about it

When i saw the title of this thread, i thought "NO CRAP" and had a bit of a laugh

+1

Most audio devices make a popping or crackling sound when first being powered on or off. I wouldnt worry about it

Mine pops every now and then too when powering up or down. Don't really know what causes it but I I think it's just a built up charge being released.

Not sure what would keep your front ports from working though. If the analog signal works with them maybe check your BIOS. I know I can control in my BIOS if the front ports get an analog or digital signal, so maybe there is something similar in yours.

The popping sound scared me because it sounded exactly like an electrical short, so I do apologize for jumping the gun there. But I still have no sound. I was having a very difficult time getting the driver to work right, so I used the disk that it came with instead of using the download. Could there be an issue and a fix in regards to that?

I'd run the newest drivers possible to eliminate as many issues as possible.

Did you remember to switch your output device in Windows? :P

I'd run the newest drivers possible to eliminate as many issues as possible.

Did you remember to switch your output device in Windows? :P

:withstupid:

hmm cracking and popping with startup haven't experienced that since I have had my D1 haha haven't experienced any interference noise either, it's been bliss.

I've got the same thing with my Xonar DSX. From what I read, it is normal. Apparently, its a relay switch the prevents damage to your sound setup when there might be a voltage spike. I hear it whenever I boot up or shut down.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551623

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15371618

Edited by 90sgamer

I have had three different models of sound card and have never heard pops because I power up my pc. I am glad I never owned a xonar sound card. hahahaha

It may sound normal to some users, but it doesn't sound normal to me. Normal for the card. hahahaha

I've got the same thing with my Xonar DSX. From what I read, it is normal. Apparently, its a relay switch the prevents damage to your sound setup when there might be a voltage spike. I hear it whenever I boot up or shut down.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551623

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15371618

This makes me feel better. As I said before, what really had me concerned was that the sound it was making was like taking a screw driver and tapping it against a electric fence. So in essence it was the same sound as an electrical short. I was thinking it could have had something to do with the shielding not being grounded right or something. (The only reason I was thinking it has anything to do with the shielding was because I figured my luck was just THAT bad).

From what everyone has said though I am glad to know that my sound card is acting normal and won't cause a fire. :lol:

On a separate note I actually got the sound to work......finally. It was a total software cluster f___ to get this thing to work. Under control panel - sound the card was supposed to give me 3 choices for output which would be speakers, digital output, and third one that I could care less about :glare: . Well for the past 48 hours it was only giving me one option which was digital output no matter which driver I used (even the latest one). Obviously this single setting produced no sound.

So finally I just said screw it all to he11 and did a format and a clean install. I decided to just start installing every single driver ever released for the darn thing going from oldest to newest, and which ever one worked would be the one I keep. Well for some reason or another the newest one ( which I had already tried installing with no success) produced all three audio options under control panel. I don't know if it worked because I had to download old drivers before the new ones would work or what.

However, this was only half the battle. At this point, the analog stero on the card would actually produce sound, but not the 1/4'' audio jacks. After some online reading it turns out you have to actually download a little controller program separately and manually change the settings from 2 way speaker to headphones.

This is absolutley nuts in my mind. The driver issue could have been my PC just being weird, but seriously, a separate program just to switch between headphone and speaker? All I have to say to the makers of the card is WTF guys.

Oh well. All I have to say at this point is that I hope no one has to go through the same crap as me, and if they do...well I hope this post helps.

All the white NEC boxes are mini-relays:

033.jpg

Do you use the Xonar Audio Center that is installed with the drivers? It's easy to switch between headphone and speaker modes.

049.jpg