What is Apple's issue?

Maybe when jobs died they ran out of inventive and original idea's???

I kid you not this sentiment is repeated an easy 300 times today on endgadget when they posted about apple filling against Sammy for s-voice

Did see one guy who loves app;e products comment that the whole thing was ridiculous and that he wished apple would stop going to court and start developing something new and actually "revolutionary" so he could replace his devices that were getting rather stale.

More rant time whoo :teehee:

Oh wow Siri is amazing and all that jazz and its the first time we see voice control in a smartphone :pfp:

No wait that is not right so well the ui must be the same.

s-voice-vs-siri.jpg

Wait that dont fit either...

sure they both got speech bubbles but well that rips off ever im service in existence :lol: and they are both dark but well apple has its crosshatched stuff and sammy has some speckled/textured background. Wait look at the button but oh yeah apple took that straight from google voice which was doing voice command before apple even thought of patenting it like they invented it. In fact the voice control on the gs2 has the same button wait it was even on the market before the 4s hmmm.

So if it isn't this "blatent rip off" of siri in terms of ui is it this natural voice stuff? So apple is the only one that can have voice controls that can respond to natural speach opposed to voice commands?

I don't see this holding up and I do hope for the sake of all the americans who pre-ordered that you don't get held up.

/rant

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kid you not this sentiment is repeated an easy 300 times today on endgadget when they posted about apple filling against Sammy for s-voice

Did see one guy who loves app;e products comment that the whole thing was ridiculous and that he wished apple would stop going to court and start developing something new and actually "revolutionary" so he could replace his devices that were getting rather stale.

More rant time whoo :teehee:

Oh wow Siri is amazing and all that jazz and its the first time we see voice control in a smartphone :pfp:

No wait that is not right so well the ui must be the same.

s-voice-vs-siri.jpg

Wait that dont fit either...

sure they both got speech bubbles but well that rips off ever im service in existence :lol: and they are both dark but well apple has its crosshatched stuff and sammy has some speckled/textured background. Wait look at the button but oh yeah apple took that straight from google voice which was doing voice command before apple even thought of patenting it like they invented it. In fact the voice control on the gs2 has the same button wait it was even on the market before the 4s hmmm.

So if it isn't this "blatent rip off" of siri in terms of ui is it this natural voice stuff? So apple is the only one that can have voice controls that can respond to natural speach opposed to voice commands?

I don't see this holding up and I do hope for the sake of all the americans who pre-ordered that you don't get held up.

/rant

Not only that, but the voice control on the SGS2 is so much powerful than the one on the 4S. Siri will tell you that some actions can't be performed whereas the SGS2 will post tweets etc for you.

I'm not supporting Apple's business practice but you've got to admit, Apple's is a major player in making Smartphones as we know today popular. If I'm not mistaken, iOS was the first mobile OS that revolutionize apps after Windows Mobile, so technically they've set the bar on mobile OS. Then Google came with Android which I personally think is the same concept of iOS but on a different, very similar approach.

What makes Apple great is their software really. Even after using my HTC Sensation on Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS, I still feel an 'empty' feeling. 'Less polished' so to speak compared to iOS. Granted Android have been very much polished by now with ICS (HTC especially) having all those fancy & friendly UI, but in my opinion, iOS still beats Android in terms of usage convenience for most people.

I'll admit I'm kind of an Apple Fanboy. I've no care whatsoever for their Macs but I do like their iDevices. This is my own personal view.

Now I've a question: Regarding Siri and Google Assistant. Which came up first with the 'Assistant' layout, features, etc as we know the Siri and Google Assistant today?

:cheers:

Not only that, but the voice control on the SGS2 is so much powerful than the one on the 4S. Siri will tell you that some actions can't be performed whereas the SGS2 will post tweets etc for you.

You can in fact tweet and post status update via Siri you know...But the keyword isn't 'Update Twitter/Facebook' :teehee:

Edited by vandreadstriker

You can in fact tweet and post status update via Siri you know...But the keyword isn't 'Update Twitter/Facebook' :teehee:

What is it? I've always heard "Sorry, I can't do that right now" from her. Does Siri have a driving mode where you can say "Hi Galaxy" and it automatically responds to your next request? Because the Galaxy does. :)

Well some people Van like there walled garden and if you want to get technical android was around years before ios it was just blackberryesk in its early years. It has really grown at an amazing rate with heaps of features. It may not be as polished as ios but seriously if you polish ios any further it will disappear. It really hasn't evolved the ui is still pretty much the same as what they brought along for release.

Personally i prefer android simply because i can tailor it to exactly how i want it to be the ios set up just annoys me. At the release of the iphone sure it was pretty amazing with the way it was set up but I can honestly say it aint gone nowhere since then. Sure they have added new features with each revision but they have always been available first through stock android, the android/play market and occasionally from the ios market.

Adding in voice command and notifications does not make one ios version revolutionary over some previous version but hell it can get marketed however it wants but I would like to see apple try something new. Try out a different design and refresh things.

Now to your question i dont know but i can tell you this Apple didnt create siri they bought it for millions got some paitents then tried to crush competition with legal action. Personally I dont see the point of voice controls it is just silly to me. as the natural way of talking to it and the way it responds to you I do not know if this Norweigin guy was first or not because as I said voice assistants are a useless feature in my eyes, a funny gadget sure but nothing for real use. Gesture controls like in dolphin browser are good tho.

Well some people Van like there walled garden and if you want to get technical android was around years before ios it was just blackberryesk in its early years. It has really grown at an amazing rate with heaps of features. It may not be as polished as ios but seriously if you polish ios any further it will disappear. It really hasn't evolved the ui is still pretty much the same as what they brought along for release.

Personally i prefer android simply because i can tailor it to exactly how i want it to be the ios set up just annoys me. At the release of the iphone sure it was pretty amazing with the way it was set up but I can honestly say it aint gone nowhere since then. Sure they have added new features with each revision but they have always been available first through stock android, the android/play market and occasionally from the ios market.

Adding in voice command and notifications does not make one ios version revolutionary over some previous version but hell it can get marketed however it wants but I would like to see apple try something new. Try out a different design and refresh things.

Now to your question i dont know but i can tell you this Apple didnt create siri they bought it for millions got some paitents then tried to crush competition with legal action. Personally I dont see the point of voice controls it is just silly to me. as the natural way of talking to it and the way it responds to you I do not know if this Norweigin guy was first or not because as I said voice assistants are a useless feature in my eyes, a funny gadget sure but nothing for real use. Gesture controls like in dolphin browser are good tho.

That's what I liked the most about Android. You can change ANYTHING. And it works more like a computer than a phone. And once it's rooted, there's absolutely no limit to what you can do. I can be just as productive on my SGS2 as I am on my desktop. I can hook up a mouse to it, I can hook up a keyboard to it, I can hook up my flash drive to it, etc. Also, the notifications on Android are so much better than on the iPhone.

I've never found myself using the gesture controls on dolphin, and I've been using dolphin for quite some time. Idk, I can never get used to using these shortcuts. I'm getting old. :lol:

Yes, it's 4:00 AM EST and I am awake.

I can't deny your second point there since even I myself uses Android for that sole purpose, tinkering and experimenting with different kinds customization. Heck if you wanted to, you can even customize it as your 'girlfriend' :lol: Even a jailbroken iDevice still can't compare with the customization capabilities of Android.

But personally, for day to day usage, I honestly prefer iOS instead cause of the simplicity or 'hassle-free' nature of it compared to Android. I've spent some time tinkering with my Sensation, trying to find ROMs that would improve battery lifes. When I first got it, it couldn't even stay awake for more than 6 hours with normal usage even after disabling options here and there. Flashing custom ROMs does help with it but even till now I can't get more than 12 hours out of it, let alone installing various customizations and such where as with an iPhone, I get 12-18 hours of usage before it goes down to <10%. This is what I meant by 'hassle-free'.

It may just be me but it's the same principle as why people choose ASUS over MSI boards. You had a bad time with it once and you'll never buy them again. Again, this is purely my opinion.

Now just to make sure I don't get on someone's nerves, I don't hate Android, I just prefer iOS over them. My dad has a Galaxy S Wi-Fi and I've used it from time to time. Not as polished as iPad iOS but really, nothing bad either.

I'm aware that Siri isn't made by Apple. It was bought from SRI who made the original Siri App for iOS and Apple integrated it into the iOS. Now here's my point of view: Even though Apple didn't invent Siri, once they bought and integrate it to their iOS, everyone starts joining the race of releasing similar alternatives. Not just Google but also App developers. From this point on, I can see a trend that whatever Apple releases, others would start releasing similar things as well. If Apple was doing these lawsuits for what they claim as 'to let (force) developers into thinking of new ideas' than honestly I'm fine with it. But I'm not fine with it if Apple was doing this to just to get a large pocket change for their big fat pocket.

I'm not saying Apple hasn't 'steal' ideas from others as well. Notification center was one of Android's truly 'original' features and Apple has then 'copied' this and implement it with own approach. Similarly, Google has taken the 'Siri' idea and implement them with their own approach too. Technically, Google could sue Apple for copying the Notification center while Apple can sue Google for copying Siri that they've owned. But none does since both aren't patented and no one can find definate proof of a 'monkey see monkey do' act.

My personal opinion.

Every company ain't perfect. I actually like Apple's phones better than those damn Androids always freezing. Only Apple product I'd own is either a phone or iPod and that's it.

I could care less about they're business practices and what not. All tech. goods are made in China anyhow by near-slave labor conditons by people who could care less about quality.

I just like to buy what works and damnit my iPhone works a lot better than any damn Android I've owned.

What is it? I've always heard "Sorry, I can't do that right now" from her. Does Siri have a driving mode where you can say "Hi Galaxy" and it automatically responds to your next request? Because the Galaxy does. :)

It's rather old school. Save Twitter and Facebook 'text to update' feature on your contact. Then say 'text facebook (status update here)' :haha: (Seriously, that's how it works. Stupid, yes, but it does work)

You can hold the iPhone by your ears and Siri would automatically respond to your next request (you'd have to enable it on the settings first though). ;)

Edited by vandreadstriker

Van you do know what google voice was?

Google had voice controls for ages but never bothered to expand it because frankly it is a dead end in terms of real performance. Voice commands are a real gimmicky kind of thing. Sure apple added Siri but Sammy was already developing and improving on the voice commands from the gs2.

I don't really see it going much further and it wasn't really the major focus of the gs3 either just one of a list of features in a list of features for a natural feeling.

Now we can go to other features the apple brought to ios like notifications which was well and truly built into android previously and in fact notifications on my honeycomb phone are far better than my iPod.

Then multi tasking what apple calls multi tasking is frankly a joke imo. Android has had multitasking in all sorts of forms for quite some time.

Back to gs3 :lol: I played with it the other day and frankly it blows the iPhone out of the water. They run the same camera (exactly the same as 4s and the Xperia arc, as it's Sony's sensor) but the gs3 camera takes better shots and has far more features stock than I have seen in even the most advanced camera apps for ios.

The multitasking, home screen navigation, browser videos everything absolutely everything responds quickly an well naturally for me. I had no idea how to use it but everything responded in predictable and logical ways.

One thing in apples favour that Steve specifically requested way a 3 button/press response. It is actually pretty good it means anything should be accsessable in three actions. They have now added accesses ability to camera from lock screen and that is cool but it's been done for some time on android and back to gs3 you can call, message, go to camera and web from the lock screen open notification from the lock screen again something that was eventually added to ops with the notification center.

Sure iOS is polished but it hasn't been pioneering for some time and their hardware has always fallen behind the android flagships. I honestly want the iPhone 5 to be amazing because completion is great IMO, lawsuits are pathetic tho. On all sides.

I can't deny your second point there since even I myself uses Android for that sole purpose, tinkering and experimenting with different kinds customization. Heck if you wanted to, you can even customize it as your 'girlfriend' :lol: Even a jailbroken iDevice still can't compare with the customization capabilities of Android.

But personally, for day to day usage, I honestly prefer iOS instead cause of the simplicity or 'hassle-free' nature of it compared to Android. I've spent some time tinkering with my Sensation, trying to find ROMs that would improve battery lifes. When I first got it, it couldn't even stay awake for more than 6 hours with normal usage even after disabling options here and there. Flashing custom ROMs does help with it but even till now I can't get more than 12 hours out of it, let alone installing various customizations and such where as with an iPhone, I get 12-18 hours of usage before it goes down to <10%. This is what I meant by 'hassle-free'.

It may just be me but it's the same principle as why people choose ASUS over MSI boards. You had a bad time with it once and you'll never buy them again. Again, this is purely my opinion.

Now just to make sure I don't get on someone's nerves, I don't hate Android, I just prefer iOS over them. My dad has a Galaxy S Wi-Fi and I've used it from time to time. Not as polished as iPad iOS but really, nothing bad either.

I'm aware that Siri isn't made by Apple. It was bought from SRI who made the original Siri App for iOS and Apple integrated it into the iOS. Now here's my point of view: Even though Apple didn't invent Siri, once they bought and integrate it to their iOS, everyone starts joining the race of releasing similar alternatives. Not just Google but also App developers. From this point on, I can see a trend that whatever Apple releases, others would start releasing similar things as well. If Apple was doing these lawsuits for what they claim as 'to let (force) developers into thinking of new ideas' than honestly I'm fine with it. But I'm not fine with it if Apple was doing this to just to get a large pocket change for their big fat pocket.

I'm not saying Apple hasn't 'steal' ideas from others as well. Notification center was one of Android's truly 'original' features and Apple has then 'copied' this and implement it with own approach. Similarly, Google has taken the 'Siri' idea and implement them with their own approach too. Technically, Google could sue Apple for copying the Notification center while Apple can sue Google for copying Siri that they've owned. But none does since both aren't patented and no one can find definate proof of a 'monkey see monkey do' act.

My personal opinion.

You call iTunes updating "hassle-free", my girlfriend would routinely lose all of her stuff everytime, I can switch ROMs and drop a Titanium Backup on it and it will be **EXACTLY** as I had it before the update/swap. My music never has to be readded/synced and bless micro-sd cards for that. (and removable batteries for your battery life problem ;) ) :evilgrin:

Every company ain't perfect. I actually like Apple's phones better than those damn Androids always freezing. Only Apple product I'd own is either a phone or iPod and that's it.

I could care less about they're business practices and what not. All tech. goods are made in China anyhow by near-slave labor conditons by people who could care less about quality.

I just like to buy what works and damnit my iPhone works a lot better than any damn Android I've owned.

+1

I also prefer my iphone to any other android device...as 3 of my friends have had android phones..and they have all taken them back to the shop with freezing problems and crashing(random rebooting)...and now one has a blackberry and the other two have iphones...no complaints :)

but I will say this...I do understand where they are coming from..as I have had my design(graphics though) stolen(copied)..a friend went and posted a preview on Facebook..and it's pretty frustrating..you want to sue everyone with connections to that person...

I'm not going to try and stick up for Apple as some have done..but IMO I go for facts..and for me..

Desktops = PC

Laptops = Mac

Phones = Apple

Tablets = Apple

MP3 players = Ipods

workstations = PC