Wow I can't believe I've been a member for 4 years now

I know a bunch of you guys migrated over from DFI Street, but where did all of you hear about OCC first?

I've always been into computers (I think I had my OWN personal frankenPC that me an my dad built out of old spare parts when I was like 8, from then on I was always upgrading and changing parts; ala Thuseus ship) and I used to watch TechTV as much as humanly possible back in the day.

I remember it was like late 2004 and there was some competition that 'The Screen Savers' crew was doing and they mentioned on air that OverclockersClub.com was in 2nd place.

Pretty sure that day I went to OCC and checked it out, for some reason I never made an account for quite a few months, but I browsed OCC for quite awhile pre-signup.

It is hard to imagine what I was doing before OCC, I know I had been being a n00b online for quite a few years before 2004, but up until that point I was never part of a website that I truly felt that I was a "member" of.

I had never heard of OCC until the merger... I had learned something was going down via the owner of diy-street... it was in the last week (or day) he announced to us on staff what was going on and we had a teamspeak meeting with Bosco and things were ironed out that night... members moving over in the next few days and what staff was being kept and integrated...

I can tell you I did NOT like the idea and I really wasnt having any part of it... diy-street and OCC are/were as different as night and day.... I hated the idea and I voiced it openly I had made the remark that I wasnt going to be around long LOL somehow I think me and Praz are the only staffers from diy-street still on the OCC staff from the time of merger...

Angry told me to give it time and he was sure I;d fit in here and he just kept telling me over and over... there is something about angry that just sinks in and he knows... all in all after 6 months or so this place started growing on me and I have come to love this place...

truth be told i started out at PCMech.com as that I think was the first ever forum I registered in 2000-ish... at that point in time I was sporting a used Compaq presario AMD K6-II 500mhz win98se box I bought and that was my first PC since teh Commodorre 64 I had in high school

I needed another PC and new nothing about nothing and I wanted to learn.... I had a bosses son build me a PC that was the new Socket A platform and then another and found myself needing a 3rd.... not being able to get the same dude to build the PC I set out to build my own...

Knowing well enough to do the write thing I cracked open built box and ordered everything i saw inside... Board, CPU, heatsink , ram and hard drive... found the same case... I remember ordering the parts from Tiger Direct...

had no clue what I was doing or even how to load an OS...bought XPpro and joined PCmech while the parts were in transit... learned how to build out of the case and boot everything and then install it and load XP... it wasnt a month after that I started building PCs...

wanting more power and with advice of a friend who was the forum overclocker he turned me on to Gigabyte boards and I built a Socket A with a Gigabyte 7n400pro and a 2600 mobile CPU... not getting enough out of the board the same friend said a DFI board would run what I wanted but strongly warned me that they required some knowledge as those boards are finicky... During a BIOS flash on the Gigabyte 7n400pro it burst into flames on a reboot as the CMOS didnt clear and it booted with all voltages maxed... it still ran after shutting it down and killing the smoke show...

Got a Gigabyte 7nnxp which was Gigabytes Cadillac of boards... built the wife a rig and she got that and I ordered a new DFI Lanparty LP-Ultra B thats when I got HOOKED I signed up at DFI-Street and was the "NOOB"...before I knew it I had 4 LP-Bs and rigs...I think that was in mid 2002... I skipped Socket 754 and the Socket 939 was launched still in Single cores... I bought my first DFI-SLI-DR and a Opteron 148 and overclocked it like crazy...I ordred some Patriot LLK TCCD ram thats the best overclocking ram to date...the ram ran at 200mhz in the BIOS (ddr400) and I got it stable to 380mhz in the BIOS...thats 760mhz ddr1... nice huh...

Before I knew it I was a DFI diehard and 8 rigs deep in SLI-DRs and SLI-Ds... good clockers... then there was issues with DFI and the forum... it was shut down and re-opened and week later as DIY-Street...I was one of the main people who, not once but TWICE, helped start and run a mass email campaign against DFI that clogged their servers... I was asked to stop... it was then Angry got ahold of me and I informed him the kind of things I was doing behind the scenes...

He brought me on staff as Moderator and I lived there until the merger and I moved here and here is where I have been....

No in between that I signed up at OCN with a few friends... never really cared for that place as its full of flamers and fan boys... i quit going there a few years back and havent been back... I still belong at PCMech and a few other places but this place has been "Home" to me....

thats all....................

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized... I was 14 when I signed up to OCC. No wonder I got banned from so many websites prior to OCC, I was like 12-13. :lol: I'm bad now, I must have been hell on earth before.

Edited by Onion

I just realized... I was 14 when I signed up to OCC. No wonder I got banned from so many websites prior to OCC, I was like 12-13. :lol: I'm bad now, I must have been hell on earth before.

Makes a lot of sense actually. :P

whats changed????

I stumbled upon OCC when I was planning my first PC build. This was back in High school freshman year I believe. OCC has since then been my go to for a tech forum, in-fact OCC is the first forum I've ever registered to at the time. I just decided to stick around, seeing how knowledge was always being passed around on the forum.

I was pretty bad with computers back then, I don't even remember what made me want to build a PC for myself back then, but I ended up doing it, found this site, and stayed.

Makes a lot of sense actually. :P

whats changed????

I don't think you guys remember how I was. :lol: How about that one time when a member made a chart about different household items used as TIM and I asked if I could post my results with semen? :lol::rolleyes:

I don't think you guys remember how I was. :lol: How about that one time when a member made a chart about different household items used as TIM and I asked if I could post my results with semen? :lol::rolleyes:

picard1.png

I was 14. :rolleyes:

Alright, well, you have calmed down some. To a degree. :P

I had long read the reviews on OCC, but never joined the forum (or any tech forum) until I wanted to build a new PC. My past two builds were researched with the help of my old FPS clan as virtually all of them were running a custom system. The clan no longer existed by the time I wanted to retire my E6600 system, so I remembered seeing a forum at OCC while browsing reviews and decided to join. Then I never left. :lol:

haha.... so where the results good? rofl.gif

off topic: I see a general thread for a topic I want to discuss but its somewhat old. Should I start another general one up or revive the old thread? It's back from 2009.

haha.... so where the results good? rofl.gif

off topic: I see a general thread for a topic I want to discuss but its somewhat old. Should I start another general one up or revive the old thread? It's back from 2009.

Superb, actually. It's a matter of personal preference, it cools a lot better, but it also gets quite sloppy. I killed my MX440 testing it out on a celeron chip. :(

(The above is false. Please don't put semen on your cpu. I ended up not doing it, and I got a warning for it. :lol:)

There's a general discussion topic from 2011 I believe, I remember making one.

Edited by Onion