Muchoman1

4GB 670 or 2GB

So, buying my new cards in less than two weeks time, and wondering if i should get a pair of 2gb FTW 670s or a pair of 4GB cards with reference board. I will be watercooling so the better heatsink of the FTW isnt an issue, but the bigger board has better power delivery and can probably overclock better, as well as the fact that watercooled 670s would look ridiculous on a EATX board.

I will be running my three screens in surround (resolution 3510x1920 bezel corrected)

I am currently running my 6990 on this setup and am using insane amounts of vram according to afterburner, each gpu on the 6990 has 2gb available, and playing tribes ascend, fallout new vegas and skyrim are all drawing 1900MB +

Now these arent really demanding games, but somehow im using up heaps of vram, and the extra 2gb would be handy for futureproofing etc.

What do you guys think, the FTW is $419 and the 4gb is $485. the price difference doesnt really bother me, as the reference 670 is over %500 in australia ATM

Thanks

4Gb's, better to be safe than sorry. 4Gb definately wont be overkill at your resolution or even if you decide to upgrade to even higher resolutions

yeah, sounds like 4gb is the way to go.

anyone know why afterburner is reporting back massive amounts of vram usage?

Saints row the third is apparently using 3900MB with maxes settings and 2x AA

yeah, sounds like 4gb is the way to go.

anyone know why afterburner is reporting back massive amounts of vram usage?

Saints row the third is apparently using 3900MB with maxes settings and 2x AA

ddr - double data rate

halve everything reported and you are good :thumbsup:

Edit: need to wake up :pfp:

Edited by Stonerboy779

ddr - double data rate

halve everything reported and you are good :thumbsup:

You sure, because this is what MSI afterburner is reporting, not bandwith or speed, but VRAM usage

You sure, because this is what MSI afterburner is reporting, not bandwith or speed, but VRAM usage

Wait sorry wrong thing.

It was an issue afterburner has when you have multiple GPUs.

It means you divide VRAM use by the no of GPUs in your case 2.

I need to wake up :pfp:

V-Sync can take up a large section of VRAM, as well as MSAA. MSAA is SUPER VRAM hungry. turn off all AA and then check what the usage is at. An alternative you could use for AA would be an FXAA shader hook you could attach on to game.

Edited by CowKing

If it's one (which it's not) I'd say 2GB but since it's two, get 4GB because memory would be a factor with SLI and your resolution