ir_cow

Windows 8 is removing the start button

You know I feel like windows 8 is going to be exactly like vista. When vista came out it was like a blizzard hit. Everyone hunkered down with as many copies of XP as people could buy. Then we waited for the winter to pass and then in the spring we were rewarded with windows 7. I feel like that is going to happen again. All the people who love windows 7 will just wait out windows 8 and prey that windows 9 (or whatever they call it) will be somewhat decent.

Most of the problem with Vista was that it was "cool" and you were "smart" to dog on it. I bought enough copies to upgrade every machine I had on launch day and never had any real problems with it at all.

Most of the problem with Vista was that it was "cool" and you were "smart" to dog on it. I bought enough copies to upgrade every machine I had on launch day and never had any real problems with it at all.

:withstupid: I never had a problem with it.

+1

It was clunky in some areas but I've used (and still use) many systems with Vista, it's not terrible.

I still use Vista on two laptops and it works, I've had no real problems. (If given the choice however it would be Windows 7 but the laptops are just "work" machines and I can't justify replacing an OS that does what I need it to do with Windows 7).

I think MS are just testing the water with Windows 8 and aiming it at the tablet market for now because to my mind Win 7 users aren't going to upgrade to Win 8, why should they? Windows 8 may very well prove to be a flop, who can tell, but going of Microsofts track record it will provide the basis for a very successful Windows 9, 8i, middle of the millenium edition or whatever they call it.

It just felt clunky to me. I never had any problems, just didn't like the way it felt

I had vista on both my laptops (they were high end when i got them, core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 1gb graphics etc) and loved it, i hated the look of XP, and because my laptops were fast, they could run vista without issue.

I think the main problem people had with vista was that it was put on systems that were too low end for it, eg 2gb ram and single core cpu, those low end systems would run XP fine, but then retailers would put vista on everything as a selling point, and the machines had poor performance due to that

This is just another step into the cycle.

Windows 95 - Amazing

Windows 98 - Horrible

Windows 98SE -Amazing

Windows NT - Horrible

Windows 2000 - Amazing

Windows ME - Horrible

Windows XP - Amazing

Windows Vista - Horrible

Windows 7 - Amazing

Windows 8 - ?????

Seems like the trend will continue for a while.

Fixed

This is just another step into the cycle.

Windows 95 - Amazing

Windows 98 - Horrible

Windows 2000 - Amazing

Windows ME - Horrible

Windows XP - Amazing

Windows Vista - Horrible

Windows 7 - Amazing

Windows 8 - ?????

Seems like the trend will continue for a while.

I think ur on too something there - almost seems planned, if you ask me.

Although I totally agree with you about Microsoft releasing 1 good, 1 bad OS, I can see a good side of Windows 8; I tried Windows 8 on my home PC. Windows 7 was back on within 10min, however, when I tried Windows 8 on a touch-screen device, I actually found it more comfortable to use than Windows 7.

Windows 8 is designed to harness touch-screen devices, but for those who do not have touch screens yet (i.e. me), I personally recommend sticking with Windows 7

Vista 64-bit was (and still is a good OS) with a little bit of tweaking. It was very heavy on resources but with the right know how and SP2 it was a fine OS.

But on the subject of the missing start button and no boot to desktop in W8.............. emmm sounds like a big mistake to me. Will have to wait and see. Most folks just don't like change (disclaimer - I probably fit into that category).

Either we'll all learn to love it, or we'll hate it and stick with XP, just like I did for so long after Vista was released.