Windows 8 is removing the start button

ir_cow

I used Vista when it was in beta and switched to Win7 not too long after it was released when I built this computer. Vista wasn't that bad and Win7 was like a nicely tweaked Vista. But I see no reason at all to change from Win7 atm. I probably see myself using it at least another 5 years if not more. Unless they try and jew us into a new OS that is =/

+1

I was a beta tester for Vista and I used it a couple years before its release... I still have all the beta flavors and my only complaint was the sound issues and the networking speed issue... both of those carried over to Win7 but arent near as bad... other than that Win7 have been flawless...

I've used win7 since early beta although I was not in the tester program... in the beginning I dual booted with XP but after 6 months all the xp drives got wiped and I have several copies of XP sitting doing nothing

:withstupid: :withstupid: I didn't think Vista was not bad, Windows 7 was definitely a zippier version but I was lucky enough to have 4GB back when Vista came out so it was happy and I was happy. Never had any problems with it, it just REALLY liked memory

Windows 8 will likely see a pass from me, hopefully they re-implement some of these crucial features

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M$ is thinking too much about portable device. They should start thinking about PC first.

No start button = very less number of user. (just my thoughts here)

So have they said why they're getting rid of the start button? What is the reasoning behind doing it? It doesn't seem to hurt to have it there for tablet users and it would help the transition to have dual modes of doing things if they want to move away from the start button in the future.

I have to wonder how Microsoft thinks any of what they're doing with Windows 8 is a good idea. I honestly think it's going to be a complete failure.

+1 M$ has its eyes on the tablet market instead of the mainstream PC market because it thinks that's where the money is right now. Sadly though, it seems that Apple has all the money right now and the iPads are dominating the market in that regards. M$ will be hurting if they think they can take on Apple for this market segment.

How does that even make sense, how could you NOT boot to the desktop.

Haven't read the article but my guess for the 'not booting to desktop' is that you always boot straight to the MetroUI.

I'd say this is the answer.

So have they said why they're getting rid of the start button? What is the reasoning behind doing it? It doesn't seem to hurt to have it there for tablet users and it would help the transition to have dual modes of doing things if they want to move away from the start button in the future.

Believe it is just to "streamline" the Metro UI.

They should sell it as Windows Touch...the ultimate way to dirty your screen :lol:...and then sell it with HP Touchsmarts

edit: I also will be staying with W7...but I think my dad has taken a liking to Win 8.. :S

Edited by Il_napoletano

You know I feel like windows 8 is going to be exactly like vista. When vista came out it was like a blizzard hit. Everyone hunkered down with as many copies of XP as people could buy. Then we waited for the winter to pass and then in the spring we were rewarded with windows 7. I feel like that is going to happen again. All the people who love windows 7 will just wait out windows 8 and prey that windows 9 (or whatever they call it) will be somewhat decent.

did you see the new tablet they showed at E3? it's basically a giant ipad with windows 8 on it that connects to the xbox. Lets hope windows 8 is meant to Tablets and not mainstream computers. It would be horrible on a laptop trackpad.

It would be horrible on a laptop trackpad.

Most think it'd be horrible on anything but a touchscreen device. Microsoft is throwing everything in Windows 8 at the tablet world to try and compete with Apple and Google.

I agree i think it would be better geared for Tablets only...so lets hope that's the way it goes.

It does share some minor resemblance to some of the tablets I have played with that run Android... and I DO think Google needs to step it up as far as OS version releases and get teh game rolling a tad more or something like this from MS could really put some pressure on the Android OS...

I like Android but they take forever to get stable newer releases....

I agree i think it would be better geared for Tablets only...so lets hope that's the way it goes.

It does share some minor resemblance to some of the tablets I have played with that run Android... and I DO think Google needs to step it up as far as OS version releases and get teh game rolling a tad more or something like this from MS could really put some pressure on the Android OS...

I like Android but they take forever to get stable newer releases....

And take longer to get some higher resolution tablets on the market :glare: