Windows 8 is removing the start button

ir_cow

Haven't read the article but my guess for the 'not booting to desktop' is that you always boot straight to the MetroUI.

I would like to say that it is not fair to say Win8 will be as much a failure as Vista. Vista had several bad programming decisions that made it run very poorly. Win8 appears like it will have very good performance (at least comparable to Win7), but a UI so horrible that unless they bring back the traditional one in a free service pack, no one experienced and skilled with computers will ever use Win8. I've no intention of upgrading to Win8. Even if I had a giant multitouch screen that could use the MetroUI correctly, I would not use this interface because I do not like the interface. It is too great a departure from what I not only am use to and have adapted to but thrive on. It isn't like the Win7 interface is just what I use to open programs, it is what I exploit and take advantage of to organize and improve my experience to what I want. Might it be possible to do this with Metro? Yes it might be. Is that chance enough for me to upgrade to Win8? No, and unless I've got money to burn and a greater curiosity to experience it than Mac or Linux (again... used to run Ubuntu, but haven't for years now), I will probably never experience Win8 by choice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just another step into the cycle.

Windows 95 - Amazing

Windows 98 - Horrible

Windows 2000 - Amazing

Windows ME - Horrible

Windows XP - Amazing

Windows Vista - Horrible

Windows 7 - Amazing

Windows 8 - ?????

Seems like the trend will continue for a while.

This.

Yeah I definitely will NOT be upgrading to Win. 8, just looking at the UI makes me crinch. /yuck

I just had an idea.

Whey not sell Windows 8 with Metro UI as 'Microsoft Metro OS' and Windows 8 separately as the tradition desktop OS?

I would do the Metro UI as the interface for tablets but for laptops and desktops just use the traditional UI.

I switched from XP to W7.

I used Vista when it was in beta and switched to Win7 not too long after it was released when I built this computer. Vista wasn't that bad and Win7 was like a nicely tweaked Vista. But I see no reason at all to change from Win7 atm. I probably see myself using it at least another 5 years if not more. Unless they try and jew us into a new OS that is =/

I used Vista when it was in beta and switched to Win7 not too long after it was released when I built this computer. Vista wasn't that bad and Win7 was like a nicely tweaked Vista. But I see no reason at all to change from Win7 atm. I probably see myself using it at least another 5 years if not more. Unless they try and jew us into a new OS that is =/

+1

I was a beta tester for Vista and I used it a couple years before its release... I still have all the beta flavors and my only complaint was the sound issues and the networking speed issue... both of those carried over to Win7 but arent near as bad... other than that Win7 have been flawless...

I've used win7 since early beta although I was not in the tester program... in the beginning I dual booted with XP but after 6 months all the xp drives got wiped and I have several copies of XP sitting doing nothing

Some laptop makers have the boot programs, where when you first turn it on it goes to that, then you select go to desktop or something. My wife's HP netbook had it. I uninstalled that garbage ASAP. And no start button is really really silly.

Edited by TraptPatriot