[Poll Closed] What Do You Believe?

wevsspot

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most accurately describes your spiritual belief system

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Christian (regardless of denomination including Catholic)
    • Muslim or Islam
    • Hindu
    • Judaism
    • Buddhist
    • Paganism
    • Other

Is that one directed at Nyt? I was tempted to make a similar post. :P

No worries, this one will be deleted, opinions and free speech are losers anyway. :lol:

No it was directed at everyone, I'm surprised with how well the thread is going. ;)

21254322.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If this is deleted oh well.

Why would I delete it ? Wevs changed the topic lol

Btw I actually have a GTX580 not 2x7970's :lol:

opinions and free speech are losers anyway. :lol:

Opinions of Nyt are the only ones that will be deleted if not in PM ;) Im not a Nazi, Im not going to gas you if you give your opinion but just dont give your opinion of me outside of a PM :P

In your pics in your "My Rig" thread I can see your 2 7970's, but you listed you have one 580GTX. So I thought you still had your 7970's. You upgrade to fast Nyt, I can't keep up. :lol:

Edited by Black64

21253022.jpg

:lol:

Edit : Anymore @Nyt messages must be sent via PM else they WILL be deleted

7970 x2 will be coming out relatively soon I hear.

The only thing I have to say about intel vs AMD is well I was right to begin with. AMD sucks. I don't know why we originally had to harp on the principal of how AMD is "good enough" when we all know that any informed person would buy intel at this time. A few years ago and we would have a different story, but AMD today is a joke. The only thing that has caught my attention is the APU, but even that sucks as a processor. Believe me.....I tired.

And the AMD vs Nvidia argument is just a joke. Nvidia all the way.

I guess I will assume this topic is still a go. I have not really shared my beliefs before, so ignore/enjoy as you see fit.

I BELIEVE IN GOD

I have seen things and been involved in things that make me believe God exists. Those events are rather personal to me so I don't really feel like sharing them. They don't prove he exists but it doesn't matter because I wouldn't change the way I live my life if someone was actually able to prove he doesn't exist.

What I find extremely interesting is despite language barriers, vast cultural differences (if you only have experience in your homeland it is hard to grasp how large cultural differences can be) and generation gaps the various religions have many of the same basic principals. Even if the stories are different and rulesets change, the core principles (10 commandments for example) are really fricking close it is kinda scary. It is closer than most translations I've seen.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE

Simply put - it is man made. Ever play the telephone game? We played it in class without any prior explanation. For those who never played it, someone starts off with a single sentence and then whispers it to the next person. That person whispers it to someone else and so on down the line. By the time the last student stated the sentence it was completely different. The teacher heard the sentence before it was passed on and confirmed the original sentence.

Now before someone can get me to believe in the Bible I would like to see a record of how many hands influenced the Bible. If the telephone game proves humans can't pass on 1 simple sentence, how am I to believe humans can pass on the various teachings of the Lord without screwing it up? The telephone game doesn't even take into consideration of language barriers, things lost in translation, multiple translations, various groups of people doing translation, MULTIPLE interpretations, the agendas (power, money, other forms of greed) of the people doing the work and the time HUGE time span it took from when "the word was passed to man" to when it finally went to print.

I can believe in God, but humans... not as much.

I DO NOT PUT FAITH INTO CHURCH

Humans have done a lot of good in the name of church. One need only step foot into a third world country where the government does nothing for the local populace but a church based hospital tends to the wounded and sick in order to see the good church can do. The church has also done a lot of horrible things - history books and news headlines are proof of that. Problem is it is run by humans. Humans aren't perfect. Humans have agendas - some good, some greedy and some flat out bad.

Many of the rules people blame God for are really created by humans and you have to believe multiple generations of humans that these rules were passed on from the Lord and no one in the chain had impure intentions while passing this word on. I've already covered the Bible so even if they can reference the Bible I am still in the same predicament.

I go to Church every now and then, but just out of respect for God

I BELIEVE THERE IS STRUCTURE TO THE WORLD GOD CREATED

You can call it Physics, Science, whatever. Whenever we create something to it, there is structure. Why can't there be structure to universe God created? I believe he created a self-sustaining universe that evolves as time goes on, perhaps with a little intervention now and then to help things along.

I BELIEVE WE WILL BE JUDGED ON OUR ACTIONS NOT OUR BELIEFS

In other words, I don't think people will be judged on whether they believe or don't believe or the demonination of faith they choose. Just like you can get a pretty good idea whether someone is good or bad, I believe our actions affect our soul. I find it interesting that you don't even need human intelligence to sense a good person vs a bad one - most dogs can tell right away.

Sure people make mistakes and people (such as soldiers) have to do things that would otherwise break core principles but the reasons for those actions are what define a person. Some people are soldiers because they love to kill. Some do it to protect their country. I find it easier to believe that God will make allowances for people who have changed, though I have a harder time believing people can change. Not saying people can't, I've seen it. Just saying I'm less likely to believe someone actually changed, but I believe God will respect those who have.

Which means I do not believe in fate. I believe we are all responsible for our actions. I find blaming fate to be a lazy way of explaining things and a passive aggresive way of being apathic to the things that happen around us.

Conversely I do believe in kharma.

Well I think I touched on all the sensitive subjects in this topic so I probably made many enemies with this post :lol: - tho not intended. I don't like talking about religion for a very obvious reason, but since this topic is being mature about the topic it feels kind of good to air out my beliefs. If you read this post and don't hate me - sweet, thank you! :D

• Like 1

Fogel, you presented your beliefs in a heartfelt, thoughtful and well worded response. I know that it doesn't change my opinion of you (and we go back a long... long ways) though I don't think that has anything to do with it. We have encouraged people to share in this thread, and you have done so eloquently.

Up to this point I think Doc put it to me most succinctly in another message - there hasn't been any bible thumping, attempts at preaching or converting and no hate against the "non-believers" or the "believers" for their beliefs. Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Atheist/anti-theist. I've come to the conclusion that there is no god. Religion is the major source of violence and corruption around the world. Burden of proof is on the believer. You've heard it all before, unless you've been living under a rock.

This seems to have died down but I had one more comment because I actually had a conversation with somone last night. This person happens to be Catholic. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 12 years. So I am big into science and especially astronomy. We were talking about galaxies and some of the stuff in the news regarding astronomy the last few weeks. So it turns out in his eyes god put all this stuff out there for us to enjoy.

Okay, so this higher power put billions and trillions of stars inside billions of galaxies for us to marvel at? So my first response was did this higher power also put deadly gamma rays and asteroids for us to dodge out there for our enjoyment? Does he also make the sun errupt violently for us to enjoy? I'm not so sure the Dinosaurs enjoyed that asteroid. Why were the dinosaurs here for so long? Why didn't he just put people here to start with? Why can't there be other people in the universe? Maybe god wanted to watch over different civilizations at the same time.

So basically a friendly conversation turned in to a baby arguement. Anyway my point: I AM WILLING to concede there may be a master puppeteer called god. Why must religion crap all over science? It wouldn't be totally shocking to me that there is a god. In fact where did time and space come from? We say there was a big bang and there is proof of that. What started that? Where did the elements and material come from to ignite that event?

Here's what it boils down to.....ready......WE KNOW NOTHING. We only know what we see. WE BELIEVE many things but in reality WE KNOW NOTHING. Humanity hasn't been around long enough to have the answers.

I don't like when people blame all the crazy religious people blowing buildings up on "religion". You should blame it on churches and organized religious cults (churches). I read my bible regularly but do not attend church. Church is where you go to get told how to live by some guy, also where you go to get turned into a religious crazy person.

But aside from all that I voted agnostic, I believe in science (I'm an engineer) which is why I believe someone made all this.

WARNING:I'm not going to start bible thumping but i may backup my points with scripture. If you can't take this please skip my post as i do not want to end our run of civility.

This seems to have died down but I had one more comment because I actually had a conversation with somone last night. This person happens to be Catholic. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 12 years. So I am big into science and especially astronomy. We were talking about galaxies and some of the stuff in the news regarding astronomy the last few weeks. So it turns out in his eyes god put all this stuff out there for us to enjoy.

Okay, so this higher power put billions and trillions of stars inside billions of galaxies for us to marvel at? So my first response was did this higher power also put deadly gamma rays and asteroids for us to dodge out there for our enjoyment? Does he also make the sun errupt violently for us to enjoy? I'm not so sure the Dinosaurs enjoyed that asteroid. Why were the dinosaurs here for so long? Why didn't he just put people here to start with? Why can't there be other people in the universe? Maybe god wanted to watch over different civilizations at the same time.

He put it there not primarily for us to enjoy but to demonstrate his glory and power, this is stated in the bible, "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. "

So basically a friendly conversation turned in to a baby arguement. Anyway my point: I AM WILLING to concede there may be a master puppeteer called god. Why must religion crap all over science? It wouldn't be totally shocking to me that there is a god. In fact where did time and space come from? We say there was a big bang and there is proof of that. What started that? Where did the elements and material come from to ignite that event?

Here's what it boils down to.....ready......WE KNOW NOTHING. We only know what we see. WE BELIEVE many things but in reality WE KNOW NOTHING. Humanity hasn't been around long enough to have the answers.

I beg to differ, religion does not as you put it "take a crap all over science". From most peoples standpoint religion, in my case i am discussing Christianity, does appear to be irreconcilable with science but that is because they start from the wrong premise. If you take science and try to make religion conform to it you will get nowhere as long as you start with evolution. But, if you start with God and assume His Word is true science makes sense, the many anomalies of evolution make sense.

The big bang: i don't know much about this area of evolutionary science but i am quite willing to concede that when God brought this universe together out of nothing that there was quite a large bang.

The lack of intermediary fossils: Simply there were no intermediary creatures to make intermediary fossils.

The relatively low salinity of the ocean: If you assume a young earth, it makes sense that the ocean is not as salty as it should be after billions of years.

The sudden extinction of many animals and the resulting layers of many fossils where previously there where only trilobites and such: If you take the Bible as true, and that is one of my main premises you will see that man han an extremely long life span. If this is the case then it would make sense if animals were also so blessed. This explains the lack of early invertebrate fossils, and the sudden mass appearance of them is explained by the flood.

The extinction of 'dinosaurs': After the flood the ecosystems of the earth would have been drastically altered the 'dinosaurs' may not have been able to adapt quick enough to survive mature and multiply(i believe it is probable that the dinosaurs as carried onto the ark may have been very young or even eggs.) another theory is that before this point the earth was still in relative balance and that due to the relatively quick reproduction cycle of many predators many species did not have a chance to repopulate the earth.

The discovery of 'ancient' with intact soft tissue: They are not really that old, and the tissue has simply not fully decayed yet. Some evidence suggests that the extinction of dinosaurs and some other ancient species was actually much more recent than we are taught to believe. Early accounts of the settlers in the US deatil indian accounts of hunting great hairy elephants in the north, mammoth anyone? The stories the Dragons as found in early Chinese dragon stories are remarkably similar to some conceptions of dinasours, in fact the word dragon means huge serpent. And dinosaur means terrible lizard. If you take a look at the pictures at this link you will find that many ancient depictions of Dragons and other mythical creature reflect many modern conceptions of how dinosaurs looked.

I need to go now but if anyone is interested i have more examples i would be happy to share.:cheers:

EDIT: forgot to add link. If you want links to other sources just say.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

What I disagree with is trying to find answers to questions with God being the answer. We then lose focus on not being biased by what we find. If God exists, and he Created all that we know, then He would be the final Answer to all things. If not, then we're just wasting time.

Science:

Ask a Question -> Formulate Hypotheses and Predict the Outcome -> Test -> Analyze the Results and compare against Prediction

God:

Ask a Question -> God is the Answer -> Rationalize how it makes sense with God being the Answer -> Answer is God was the reason

Without Science, we wouldn't know so much about our Natural History. Without Science, religious people would never know why God created so much diversity that wasn't mentioned in the Bible. Religion makes God "fit" into their findings, rather than leaving Him out of the equation. It's the only way for religions to stay existent, otherwise they'd just end up as Myths like the Greek Gods.