Need help finding best case (cooling-wise)

The overseer uses the bottom of the case as an air intake for the psu, must be placed on a hard surface even when the case is placed on the carpet. Eventhough the case feet are looking high I don't know if their will be enough space between the carpet and the case bottom. The case even uses a 120 fan beside the psu which will need the space for air flow.

The front fan is attached to the drive cage which because of this restriction will decrease the air flow, so adding an additional side fan will be of a benefit.

The big boy fan is too loud for this case. A better 200 fan choice is the megaflow 19 db is quiet, but not silent. The fans of the overseer are silent. 120 fan choice SilenX Ixtrema Pro Blæser, or Silverstone FM121 (Sort).

Before adding fans to the case see the temps the case gives at stock cooling, and when more fans are installed the lower temps will justify the purchase.

The carpet won't be an issue since he will put a plastic mat beneath his new case :P

Thanks alot for your recommendations! :)

I think we're going with the Silverstone for 120mm, since it got 110cfm, versus SilenX's best (72cfm)... the higher cfm, the more cooling, right?

"PSUs Have To Face Fan Down" is a Myth IMO. Frankly, I have yet to see a modern 'Quality' PSU overheat or fail due to the fans facing up.

Personally I like mine facing up for aesthetics.

Depending on the PSU, the bottom optional intake fans may not be available for use if obstructed by PSU cables (usually non-modular PSUs)

Even the HAF X doesn't have removable HDD cage so it's pretty normal for those 'older' full tower case. Best thing you could do is remove those trays that you're not using.

Just my opinion :cheers:

@OP: I thought the Overseer is meant to ship with only two 200mm fans?

It's not listed in the shop you mentioned but see if you can get one of these Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP. It provides very good airflow, low noise and nice price (at least in the US).

:cheers:

I think he mant facing up since he said "The overseer uses the bottom of the case as an air intake for the psu", or maybe I am just misunderstanding things?

And yeah.. sometimes edbpriser can be cryptic when they state what is included.. but I think it will ship with that the official site says (http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=c_00001803), so 200mm front, 120mm rear and 200mm top

The Courgar isn't available in Denmark :(

BTW: edbpriser is not a shop, it's a site which collects ALL computer hardware sold in Denmark, in one site and lists for each item where it's sold, sorted by price (including delivery/shipping costs)

Probably the best site I know, so genius :P

EDIT:

How good are the stock fans compared to the aftermarket ones we're going to buy? Just wondering.. if they are alot better.. perhaps we should just buy two more 200mm and another 120mm and just leave the stock fans alone? :P

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the PSU face down over carpet shouldn't be an issue. Unless maybe you have like shag carpet from the 70's....maybe. I've had mine facing down over carpet for years. The plastic might help slow down dust collecting in it but I doubt by very much at all.

I think he mant facing up since he said "The overseer uses the bottom of the case as an air intake for the psu", or maybe I am just misunderstanding things?

And yeah.. sometimes edbpriser can be cryptic when they state what is included.. but I think it will ship with that the official site says (http://www.thermalta...x?id=c_00001803), so 200mm front, 120mm rear and 200mm top

The Courgar isn't available in Denmark :(

BTW: edbpriser is not a shop, it's a site which collects ALL computer hardware sold in Denmark, in one site and lists for each item where it's sold, sorted by price (including delivery/shipping costs)

Probably the best site I know, so genius :P

EDIT:

How good are the stock fans compared to the aftermarket ones we're going to buy? Just wondering.. if they are alot better.. perhaps we should just buy two more 200mm and another 120mm and just leave the stock fans alone? :P

What I think he's saying is since there's an intake grill on the bottom, the PSU's fan should be facing downwards so as to suck in cold air from below. IMO it'd just suck in dust and clog the PSU instead of drawing in cold air.

If you have the money, you can get the Noctua NF-S12B. They are suspiciously very quiet and moves some air (100m3h which ~60(?) CFM) but are very pricey. Maybe get the CM SickleFlow with high CFMs but not sure about their noise (if they're the same ones installed on the HAF series then they're not particularly quiet but not to the point where it'd bother you IMO)

May I ask what you'd need the 120mm for? If you plan on using it for bottom intake, make sure that the PSU doesn't obstruct it.

You can't really compare the included 200mm fans that comes with the Overseer since for some reason, Thermaltake doesn't sell them separately and don't provide detailed specifications on them. They do sell 200mm fans but not the same ones as the one used in the Overseer (if you look closely, you'll notice the difference in blade design). IMO it really isn't worth the money and time to get them replaced since you'd most likely not notice the very minor increase.

What I think he's saying is since there's an intake grill on the bottom, the PSU's fan should be facing downwards so as to suck in cold air from below. IMO it'd just suck in dust and clog the PSU instead of drawing in cold air.

If you have the money, you can get the Noctua NF-S12B. They are suspiciously very quiet and moves some air (100m3h which ~60(?) CFM) but are very pricey. Maybe get the CM SickleFlow with high CFMs but not sure about their noise (if they're the same ones installed on the HAF series then they're not particularly quiet but not to the point where it'd bother you IMO)

May I ask what you'd need the 120mm for? If you plan on using it for bottom intake, make sure that the PSU doesn't obstruct it.

You can't really compare the included 200mm fans that comes with the Overseer since for some reason, Thermaltake doesn't sell them separately and don't provide detailed specifications on them. They do sell 200mm fans but not the same ones as the one used in the Overseer (if you look closely, you'll notice the difference in blade design). IMO it really isn't worth the money and time to get them replaced since you'd most likely not notice the very minor increase.

Thanks alot, we'll keep the included fans then :D

As for the 120mm fan.. We'll wait till the case arrives so we can see if there's space... if there is space I think I am gonna go with the Silverstones since it has a cfm of 110 (unless, the more cfm does not mean better cooling)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new case for my rig (bought it two months ago and cheaped out with an elite 360.) I picked up a corsair 500R on sale for $100. It comes with a huge 200mm intake on the side for optimal gpu cooling aswell as 2 front 120 intakes and a rear 120 for exhaust. My 6870 never runs over 60 under full load ie. Max payne 3 max settings at 1600x900. It's a great looking case and has tons of room behind the mobo for cable management. Also has room for another 6 fans and water cooling holes. The three intakes are ran through a fan controller with white led lights. Connects via 4 pin with the rear exhaust being the only fan that has to go on the mobo. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chann3l