Need help finding best case (cooling-wise)

Yes the case you you posted is the Overseer I am referring to. I would also put the cooling potential of the Overseer against all of the others any day. Dual 200 for chimney exhaust with a 140 rear and then dual 200 (one dside and one front) intake and 120 bottom intake is a LOT of air.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 932 is still one of the best bang-for-buck cooling cases as well as allowing for a HUGE amount of aftermarket cooling mods.

Yeah, but my mate is not much of a modder, he just buys stock items, plug them in and play :P

I've even tried to convince him to overclocking but to no avail xD

So I'm just looking for the best GPU-cooling stock case ;)

Yes the case you you posted is the Overseer I am referring to. I would also put the cooling potential of the Overseer against all of the others any day. Dual 200 for chimney exhaust with a 140 rear and then dual 200 (one dside and one front) intake and 120 bottom intake is a LOT of air.

Hmm, perhaps we should just go with that then and then we'll buy all the fans we need from the start and I'll set it up for him...

EDIT: hard to decipher from the edbpriser.dk if all fans you are talking about are included

http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/thermaltake-overseer-rx-i-id-5470168.aspx

If all the fans you are talking about aren't included, can you tell me which we need to buy?

EDIT2:

looking at this, it doesn't seem like all fans are included

http://dungeondogz.blogspot.com/2012/03/thermaltake-overseer-rx-i-case-review.html

argh why do they always write things so crypticly

EDIT3:

Prolly best to look on official sites...

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_00001803

So it seems only 1 front, 1 top and 1 rear fan is included (I assume when it says optional, it means not included - at least it was like this with my DF-85)

So we should get another top and buttom fan..... but I heard adding a side-fan may mess up the air-flow (best to have "1-way" airflow (from front to rear), and not get some air throwed in from the side which brakes the air-flow.... or something like that)

BTW: Don't you mean 120 for the rear? or can we fit a 140 there (although it says 120 on the site... but that's stock ofc :P)

Edited by Brutality

His GPU is barely 6 months old, so I bet its TIM is still fresh and working as intended, so I don't think it would help just buying a new GPU when the cooling in his case is so crap that it will overheat whatever GPU he fits in there

Stock TIM applications aren't always perfect. Sometimes they are absolutely horrible.

This may be of personal preference but be aware that both the Cosmos II and Switch 810 are meant for Watercooling instead of Optimized airflow unlike tha HAF X. Also, 200mm fans are supposed to provide a great amount of airflow while producing less noise than compared to a few 120/140mm coupled all together. By this logic, the HAF X would be the one with great airflow and lowest overall noise. The MegaFlow fans fitted in the HAF X is a perfect example of 200mm fans with great airflow and low noise in my experience.

Just some food for thought. :cheers:

This may be of personal preference but be aware that both the Cosmos II and Switch 810 are meant for Watercooling instead of Optimized airflow unlike tha HAF X. Also, 200mm fans are supposed to provide a great amount of airflow while producing less noise than compared to a few 120/140mm coupled all together. By this logic, the HAF X would be the one with great airflow and lowest overall noise. The MegaFlow fans fitted in the HAF X is a perfect example of 200mm fans with great airflow and low noise in my experience.

Just some food for thought. :cheers:

I see... well then it's either the Tt Overseer or the HAF X... I will wait for ComputerEd's reply to this hehe :P

Thanks vandreadstriker

I see... well then it's either the Tt Overseer or the HAF X... I will wait for ComputerEd's reply to this hehe :P

Thanks vandreadstriker

I've not personally used the Overseer, only the HAF X, but logic would suggest that since the Overseer is smaller in size, it has smaller volume and that means the fans have less volume to cover. If we follow that logic and assume that with all fans fitted, the Overseer has the same airflow capabilities, then the Overseer should be a better choice as the air inside are more 'concentrated' so to speak.

Plus the Overseer comes at a lower price than the HAF X even after purchasing two 200mm fans. The only reason I see that you'd want to get the HAF X is if the Overseer is not big enough.

As for what fans you should get, I'd recommend you get the Antec BigBoy 200mm fans. It moves lots of air but I'm not sure of the noise it emits since I've never used it personally. Many people say that they're very quite though.

Just for aesthetics, I'd get the 2xBigboy on top of the Overseer and have the top 200mm LED fan on the side panel.

:cheers:

I've not personally used the Overseer, only the HAF X, but logic would suggest that since the Overseer is smaller in size, it has smaller volume and that means the fans have less volume to cover. If we follow that logic and assume that with all fans fitted, the Overseer has the same airflow capabilities, then the Overseer should be a better choice as the air inside are more 'concentrated' so to speak.

Plus the Overseer comes at a lower price than the HAF X even after purchasing two 200mm fans. The only reason I see that you'd want to get the HAF X is if the Overseer is not big enough.

As for what fans you should get, I'd recommend you get the Antec BigBoy 200mm fans. It moves lots of air but I'm not sure of the noise it emits since I've never used it personally. Many people say that they're very quite though.

Just for aesthetics, I'd get the 2xBigboy on top of the Overseer and have the top 200mm LED fan on the side panel.

Overseer it is then :P

So, the "fan on the side will mess up airflow" is a myth?

Anyways, I will need one (two if side-fan myth is a myth) 200mm x 200mm x 30mm and one 120mm x 120mm x 25mm fan then

What do you guys recommend? :P

As always, price (almost) doesn't matter (as long as it's reasonable)... we want the most cooling, without too many dBs (or annoying sounds)

Overseer it is then :P

So, the "fan on the side will mess up airflow" is a myth?

Anyways, I will need one (two if side-fan myth is a myth) 200mm x 200mm x 30mm and one 120mm x 120mm x 25mm fan then

What do you guys recommend? :P

As always, price (almost) doesn't matter (as long as it's reasonable)... we want the most cooling, without too many dBs (or annoying sounds)

the side air intakeeasing with flow depends on the case. When i molded my cheiftech dragon the side fan needed to be an exhaust for the gpu's or it would cause heat to pool and essentially overheated everything else. It will just take testing cause every case flows differently and will react different. Try it both ways and do what is best for your case.... Watercool maybe???

the side air intakeeasing with flow depends on the case. When i molded my cheiftech dragon the side fan needed to be an exhaust for the gpu's or it would cause heat to pool and essentially overheated everything else. It will just take testing cause every case flows differently and will react different. Try it both ways and do what is best for your case.... Watercool maybe???

Okay thanks, but he is still scared of WC (water leakage, even though it's not gonna happen lol), so only going with air hehe

EDIT.

Boom! He ordered the Overseer now :P

Now we are just waiting till it arrives so we can see what is included (really seems like everything is included, according to edbpriser.dk.... but time will tell), and then we shall order fans (still awaiting recommendations for the 120mm :P)

Edited by Brutality

The overseer uses the bottom of the case as an air intake for the psu, must be placed on a hard surface even when the case is placed on the carpet. Eventhough the case feet are looking high I don't know if their will be enough space between the carpet and the case bottom. The case even uses a 120 fan beside the psu which will need the space for air flow.

The front fan is attached to the drive cage which because of this restriction will decrease the air flow, so adding an additional side fan will be of a benefit.

The big boy fan is too loud for this case. A better 200 fan choice is the megaflow 19 db is quiet, but not silent. The fans of the overseer are silent. 120 fan choice SilenX Ixtrema Pro Blæser, or Silverstone FM121 (Sort).

Before adding fans to the case see the temps the case gives at stock cooling, and when more fans are installed the lower temps will justify the purchase.

The overseer uses the bottom of the case as an air intake for the psu, must be placed on a hard surface even when the case is placed on the carpet. Eventhough the case feet are looking high I don't know if their will be enough space between the carpet and the case bottom. The case even uses a 120 fan beside the psu which will need the space for air flow.

The front fan is attached to the drive cage which because of this restriction will decrease the air flow, so adding an additional side fan will be of a benefit.

"PSUs Have To Face Fan Down" is a Myth IMO. Frankly, I have yet to see a modern 'Quality' PSU overheat or fail due to the fans facing up.

Personally I like mine facing up for aesthetics.

Depending on the PSU, the bottom optional intake fans may not be available for use if obstructed by PSU cables (usually non-modular PSUs)

Even the HAF X doesn't have removable HDD cage so it's pretty normal for those 'older' full tower case. Best thing you could do is remove those trays that you're not using.

Just my opinion :cheers:

@OP: I thought the Overseer is meant to ship with only two 200mm fans?

It's not listed in the shop you mentioned but see if you can get one of these Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP. It provides very good airflow, low noise and nice price (at least in the US).

Edited by vandreadstriker