Need help finding best case (cooling-wise)

So my friend is hitting 98*C with his GTX-470, and since we are seeing high temps in general with his case (can't remember brand and model) we decided he should probably get a new case with some better cooling since good airflow is crucial to cooling a GPU.

Back when I was upgrading case I believe I found the Antec DF-85 to be the best (1 year ago), but since it's been 1 year, maybe there's come a better case in the meantime.

At the moment I only went through the 2012 reviews here at OCC, and found the CM Cosmos II Ultra, Enermax Fulmo GT and NZXT Switch 810 to be the best "GPU-coolers", but I haven't quite been able to compare them with the DF-85, and at the moment I am bobbing my head (falling asleep), so I am gonna turn to OCC (well was gonna do anyways, but would've preferred to researched a bit more until)

What case should my mate buy to minimize the temperature on his GTX-470? :P

Cheers and thanks in advance :-)

As always, <3 u OCC cuz I can always turn to you and get the best answers :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is willing to buy something like the Cosmos II he could just afford a new and better GPU that runs cooler :lol:

Has he pulled apart thougrourly cleaned and replaced the TIM on his GPU?

Edit - Actually I just had a look and he could get a 7850 at the same price as one of these new cases and we get far lower temps and a 10-20% fps improvement.

Edited by Stonerboy779

All he needs is a few more case fans. Beyond that...who cares about the temps when they are WELL under the maximums for the card? My 4870X2 ran well over 100 C in normal use and I didn't care one bit.

If you are wanting a new case then I would suggest looking at the Thermaltake Overseer fopr max cooling. With the optional fans this is using 4x 200MM fansa 140 rear fan and a 120 intake at the bottom. This things moves a BUTT LOAD of air. Now the best part is that it is reasonably priced, @ $129 when it is in stock at newegg.

If he is willing to buy something like the Cosmos II he could just afford a new and better GPU that runs cooler :lol:

Has he pulled apart thougrourly cleaned and replaced the TIM on his GPU?

Edit - Actually I just had a look and he could get a 7850 at the same price as one of these new cases and we get far lower temps and a 10-20% fps improvement.

His GPU is barely 6 months old, so I bet its TIM is still fresh and working as intended, so I don't think it would help just buying a new GPU when the cooling in his case is so crap that it will overheat whatever GPU he fits in there

All he needs is a few more case fans. Beyond that...who cares about the temps when they are WELL under the maximums for the card? My 4870X2 ran well over 100 C in normal use and I didn't care one bit.

His case is small and he doesn't seem to bother with trying to fit in new case fans, he just want a new and reasonable case instead of that crap-case he got hehe ;)

And his GTX-470 does not like being over 95*C.. even though they say at NVIDIA it can handle 105*C, his FPS drops to like 1 when it goes over 95*C.. and comes back to "normal" FPS when the fans get it below 95*C again... but this happens like 1-2 times per minute, so it's barely playable..

I can't remember but I think he's got carpet where his computer is standing, and that doesn't help cooling so I really think he should get a nice cooling case which can handle his circumstances :P

If you are wanting a new case then I would suggest looking at the Thermaltake Overseer fopr max cooling. With the optional fans this is using 4x 200MM fansa 140 rear fan and a 120 intake at the bottom. This things moves a BUTT LOAD of air. Now the best part is that it is reasonably priced, @ $129 when it is in stock at newegg.

I could only find the Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case to be sold for us Danes, is it the same case?

http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/thermaltake-overseer-rx-i-id-5470168.aspx

BTW: Thanks for the quick replies! :)

Brutality, how many DKK is he willing to use? Any particular places he wants to buy from like computersalg.dk, dataworld, bj-trading etc.? color, form factor, WC compatibility etc.

I would recommend a Haf 932...it has GREAT airflow...

or just mod his current case...get a small drill bit..and drill all over his case...beware don't go through his mobo :lol:

also +1...

I would also like to see a pic of the case...

I'd recommend the HAF X. Giant 200mm blowing directly over the GPUs and an air duct that can hold a 120mm fan to direct the airflow from the front 200mm intake.

Frankly one of the best case I've had and if your friend can get used to the looks, he can't go wrong with it IMO.

:cheers:

I've always liked the HAF series myself, something like this?

http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-id-4383383.aspx

am I the only one who want's a pic of the "crap case"??

okai, I'll ask him to take a pic of the case then.

Brutality, how many DKK is he willing to use? Any particular places he wants to buy from like computersalg.dk, dataworld, bj-trading etc.? color, form factor, WC compatibility etc.

I don't think he has any limits, he just wants the best, and it doesn't matter who the retailer/seller is, nor do I think the color or form factor matters, and he doesn't have WC.. so no requirements for that.... just maximum GPU cooling (although he prolly just needs a decent case and he's settled... but might as well maximize GPU cooling since that's his problem)

EDIT: Ofc the form factor has to be at least ATX :P

What do he can do what you did to your case?

?

EDIT:

Thanks for the recommendations, the HAF 932 gets beaten by the Cosmos II and NZXT Swtich 810, but I am not sure about the HAF X, haven't quite been able to compare it to the two others

So, I just realized the price of the Cosmos II and I am not sure if he is willing to pay that much for a case hehe (but I don't know, haven't asked him), but I believe he would buy the NZXT Switch 810 at least (price-wise)

EDIT2:

Ran through all 2010 and 2011 case reviews (in addition to 2012), but found no reviews (other than the review of it self), where HAF X was compared with... so no clue which one is best of the three (Cosmos II, Swtich 810 or HAF X)

Edited by Brutality