6990 running HOT

Multiple monitors make them run much hotter at idle IIRC.

This is absolutely 100% correct! Multi-monitor setups on my CF 6970's always made the temps jump up on the card the screens were connected to. I actually went back to 1 screen until they were WC ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, I have 4 screens currently connected and it keeps the clocks up on the lead 6970 and will run @ 57-60c idle unless I manually set the fan. I am not surprised at that temp for that card if you have ambient temps of 23c+

ok, well thats good to know this is normal.

i had the option of getting a aquacomputer waterblock for the card for $60, and i would have if i were keeping the card, but a friend of mine is taking it in a few weeks, and hes not watercooling.

well, found out the card was running in AUSUM mode or whatever it was called, giving it 6970 clocks and thus making all the extra heat at load.

after downclocking it from 880mhz to 820, it still idles the same and loads at 103 in 3dmark 11.

I am fairly sure this card is getting throttled at load cause the fan hits 100%, temps hit 103 then the gpus clock down to 550 and 250 each during 3dmark. should the speed go down in the middle of the tests (im not talking about inbetween tests, but in the middle of each test) cause it looks like its hitting the heat limit and downclocking itself

If you wan't to possibly lower temps a little more for normal use, check and see if you have hardware acceleration checked in your browser preferences.

nah, its load temps im worried about

1)when you open GPU-Z, what frequency does it show for each GPU at idle?

2) what is your room temp?

450 for gpu1, 250 for gpu2

room temp is probably mid to low 20s

Well, i got that arctic cooling bigass dual 120mm fan cooler coming my way, should be here by the end of the week. get this thing nice and cold, overclock it and then have some nice benches :thumbsup:

ok, its certainly hitting the thermal limit and downclocking. running afterburner whilst gaming it hits 103 degrees, then downclocks to 550 mhz, then hits 103 again, downclocks to 450mhz (idle speed), then hits 106 with the cooler at 100%. good thing i got a new cooler coming thursday

Something is wrong with the cooler then. Take it apart to find out what. :)

i would take it apart if i had any thermal paste here that isnt AS5, plus my new cooler is in perth already, got flown across overnight :biggrin: