Pec0

2Gb card or 1gb?

You guys are funny. :lol: My HTPC up until recently had a GTS 250 in it. Games at 1080p were no issue as long as I didn't crank the details. I think we can all agree that even a 6850 is hugely faster than a GTS 250. :P

You guys are funny. :lol: My HTPC up until recently had a GTS 250 in it. Games at 1080p were no issue as long as I didn't crank the details. I think we can all agree that even a 6850 is hugely faster than a GTS 250. :P

I think we can all agree that even a 6950 is hugely faster than a 6870. :P

OK my mind is set on 6950. Lastly does it matter which model you go for, Sapphire, XFX, AMD etc??

Ok I'm a real pain in the butt, however. Can anyone explain the following that I have copy pasted from the Sapphire comparison site, and explain why the 7850 is better/faster than the 6950, and why the 6950 is faster/better than the 6870, when the figures would suggest otherwise?

SAPPHIRE HD7850 2GB GDDR5

•  
  • 860 MHz Core Clock
  • 1024 x Stream Processors
  • 28 nm Chip
  • 4800 MHz Effective
  • 2048 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL 4.2
  • Best Microsoft DirectX11 Support

SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB GDDR5

•  
  • 800 MHz Core Clock
  • 1408 x Stream Processors
  • 40 nm Chip
  • 5000 MHz Effective
  • 2048 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Microsoft DirectX® 11
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL® 4.1

SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

•  
  • "900" MHz Core Clock
  • 1120 x Stream Processors
  • 40 nm Chip
  • "4200" MHz Effective
  • 1024 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Microsoft DirectX® 11
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL ® 4.1
  • SAPPHIRE TriXX Utility

Edited by Pec0

usually the newer generation is faster than the last. Normally its the dual gpu card from the last generation is a little faster than the single gpu card of the newest.

Specs like the amount of steams mean less than they did in the past.

• Like 1

usually the newer generation is faster than the last. Normally its the dual gpu card from the last generation is a little faster than the single gpu card of the newest.

Specs like the amount of steams mean less than they did in the past.

Spose that kinda makes sense I guess. Cheers

7850 as it's probably the best value out right now in that price range (if not all of them haha)

but yeah more memory is the answer now a days with the lazy programming I've been seeing (Skyrim maxing my 5970's memory out but having worse textures then oblivion's with the "HD texture pack", pitiful....still love it to death, that texture pack was was utterly abysmal lol)

• Like 1

Ok I'm a real pain in the butt, however. Can anyone explain the following that I have copy pasted from the Sapphire comparison site, and explain why the 7850 is better/faster than the 6950, and why the 6950 is faster/better than the 6870, when the figures would suggest otherwise?

SAPPHIRE HD7850 2GB GDDR5

•  
  • 860 MHz Core Clock
  • 1024 x Stream Processors
  • 28 nm Chip
  • 4800 MHz Effective
  • 2048 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL 4.2
  • Best Microsoft DirectX11 Support

SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB GDDR5

•  
  • 800 MHz Core Clock
  • 1408 x Stream Processors
  • 40 nm Chip
  • 5000 MHz Effective
  • 2048 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Microsoft DirectX® 11
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL® 4.1

SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

•  
  • "900" MHz Core Clock
  • 1120 x Stream Processors
  • 40 nm Chip
  • "4200" MHz Effective
  • 1024 MB Size
  • 256 - bit GDDR5
  • Microsoft DirectX® 11
  • Shader Model 5.0
  • OpenGL ® 4.1
  • SAPPHIRE TriXX Utility

yes, the specs are only really good at comparing cards that are the same model (different factory clocks) and to a lesser extent same generation, so you can see the 6950 has more stream processors than the 6870, and even though the 6950s clock speed is lower it has more processors.

Inbetween generations it is hard to tell speed differenced by specs, as different architectures and designs are used between generations, the GTX 680 has a higher clock speed and 3x as many cuda cores (1500 compared to 500) but it is not 3x the speed of a GTX 580, it is faster, but due to different processing methods its not 3x the speed

• Like 1

yes, the specs are only really good at comparing cards that are the same model (different factory clocks) and to a lesser extent same generation, so you can see the 6950 has more stream processors than the 6870, and even though the 6950s clock speed is lower it has more processors.

Inbetween generations it is hard to tell speed differenced by specs, as different architectures and designs are used between generations, the GTX 680 has a higher clock speed and 3x as many cuda cores (1500 compared to 500) but it is not 3x the speed of a GTX 580, it is faster, but due to different processing methods its not 3x the speed

Ok cool. thanks for the input

7850 as it's probably the best value out right now in that price range (if not all of them haha)

but yeah more memory is the answer now a days with the lazy programming I've been seeing (Skyrim maxing my 5970's memory out but having worse textures then oblivion's with the "HD texture pack", pitiful....still love it to death, that texture pack was was utterly abysmal lol)

To h3ll with it. Just bought a 7850. :)

To h3ll with it. Just bought a 7850. :)

Congrats. 7850 can be classified as the best value for bucks card.