2Gb card or 1gb?

Pec0

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a post with pics etc, really helps.

My monitor is only capable of 1440 x 990 but my new monitor is on it's way.

Well I set everything as you suggested. GPU does not exceed 50% GPU usage. CPU temps never go above 55oC. Game is playable on those medium settings, V Sync off, with an average of around 30 FPS on a 32 man server.

thisd.jpg

It still doesn't explain why my 4870 was capable of high settings by default and I bought the 7850 in the hope that it would boost my graphics right up to max or near max. Would you suggest the CPU being a Dual core and not a quad is holding my system back or is the main reason for the "under performance"?

A 7850 can't come close to maxing the game out as far as I know...at least not smoothly in multiplayer.

Your CPU ran the game fairly well with your old video card according to you so it must be some settings that are different.

All you'd need is a new GPU really to run them at DX11. Like Waco said, your CPU has no problems running it.

Since you're playing at 1440x900, You'd only need something like the AMD HD7850/7870 really. Even the older (last year) GTX560Ti would run it at Ultimate just fine IMO (As in almost no stuttering)

:cheers:

All you'd need is a new GPU really to run them at DX11. Like Waco said, your CPU has no problems running it.

Since you're playing at 1440x900, You'd only need something like the AMD HD7850/7870 really. Even the older (last year) GTX560Ti would run it at Ultimate just fine IMO (As in almost no stuttering)

:cheers:

Yeah what Waco said, I got one already and it's installed and I'm getting no where near ultimate.. ARG!!! :( :( :(

Got my E8500 running at over 4Ghz too.

Vsync will cut your frames in half down to 30 fps if you fall below 60fps. You can see in my screen shot how up and down the fps goes in BF3 (first monitoring bar graph). Since your GPU usage isn't maxed out to 98-99% (bar graph 3rd down) then something is limiting its performance. (-edit- notice I am talking about the picture on the last page, not this one I attached later)

I'm thinking it is either Vsync or the CPU. I believe, Vsync can be forced in the CCC and in the in-game options too. If you change the in-game option, you must quit the game and restart for the settings to take effect.

Or the other scenario is that the cpu can't feed the 7850 fast enough. Run task manager in the background so you can see the cpu usage, just to see if its maxed out and if the 7850 is sitting around waiting for it.

like so:

ultra.png

P.S.

If it ends up being the cpu, you could grab a core 2 quad from ebay instead of buying a whole new setup. Looks like they are going for about $80 in the auctions or a little more for a buy-it-now, Q6600. Someone here on OCC might even have one. It's a cheap upgrade that should work ok, I think my brother is running a Q6600 with a gtx580 and gets good 'mostly ultra' results at 1080p.

Edited by RedFury77
  • Like 1

I'd definitely consider a quad if all else fails.

Regarding your post above. I have VSync set to off in game and Wait for vertical refresh is set to Performance therefore off so it's can't be VSync. Was about to test the CPU using Task-manager, unfortunately I now need to wait a further hour as BF3 updates with a Gb of updates. Prolonging the agony. ...Nightmare!

I'm expecting my CPU to be fine however as it's it's OC to 4.2Ghz.. But who knows right?

I'm in the UK so I'll have a look on ebay for a cheap quad in the meantime.