uhm is my switch DOA or am i just stupid?

k so heres my setup... the modem is hooked to a switch. and the switch is hooked to a pc and a router and none of them are getting internet connection. Is it DOA or am i just a newby? lol

I'll bet newby....

turn everything OFF....

it should go like this.... Intertnet cable from outside into the Modem.... Cable from Modem to the Router.... cable from Router to the Switch... cables from switch to PCs...

leave the PC on and then turn on the Modem, Router and Switch... should work

I'll bet newby....

turn everything OFF....

it should go like this.... Intertnet cable from outside into the Modem.... Cable from Modem to the Router.... cable from Router to the Switch... cables from switch to PCs...

leave the PC on and then turn on the Modem, Router and Switch... should work

This. +1

Now I'll be the good cop here LOL

The reason why the router MUST be BEFORE the switch is : The switch has no DHCP therefore it cannot request an IP adress from the modem but the router has that functionality.

You are not stupid, mistakes happen and that's how we learn.

Have a great day!!!

Is there a way to hook up the switch before the router because I really just wanted to have the switch before that way I don't have to port forward my router since my router has a bad firmware version and it can't port forward.

I got a friend that could run a Minecraft server without port forwarding. Mumble I'm pretty sure it doesn't need port forwarding.

uhm its ether hamachi or port forwarding or how else are people going to be able to access the server? lol

A switch directly behind a modem is going to attempt to pull an external IP address for every device on the network. Most, if not all ISPs only provide you with one external IP address - most likely given to something like the router itself. Once that's taken, nothing else can "get online". If that's the case, then there's no choice but to put the router before the switch.

Put the switch AFTER the router and you should be good to go.