Sign in to follow this  
My_Inner_Fred

AMD Stepping out of high end CPU market?

What the heck. Intel will have a monopoly on the high end processor market then. AMD fans that want to see high end processors are going to be disappointed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-cpu-apu-processors,15741.html

Well that just shows how behind on the times I am...

But seriously.... this is bad news.... Intel basically will have free reign over the price of their high end cpu's now...

It's a deliberate mislead. They're secretly coming up with the best CPU that will kick Intel's butt. Intel starts to slack off and go, "Hey, we got no competition, let's slow down our research in the CPU market".

Then, BOOM! AMD releases Bulldozer 2 in 2015.

It's a deliberate mislead. They're secretly coming up with the best CPU that will kick Intel's butt. Intel starts to slack off and go, "Hey, we got no competition, let's slow down our research in the CPU market".

Then, BOOM! AMD releases Bulldozer 2 in 2015.

I'm gonna go with Piledriver in 2012. ;)

once upon a time AMD cpus were considered better than Intel in many ways (many being a lot cheaper and just as effective for games). now you only buy a AMD chip if you have to and the i5 which usually is considered the same price and on pair with AMD top cpu.

It doesn't matter if they try to mislead the public because I cannot see them coming back from the bulldozer fail. The idea of many small cores is the same as CUDA which can be very effect but a little far ahead of the times. It would be smart of them to have 2 Main cores (like a normal Dual-core cpu) and a ton of small cores on the side that programers can utilize over time.

Edit: even better would be a new socket that forces people to have a "video card" just as cpu support, kinda like nvidia telsa cards but a whole lot cheaper. You only need 32cuda cores to be faster than a CPU. why not take a low end AMD card and use the "AUs" to do the same.

Edited by hornybluecow

Edit: even better would be a new socket that forces people to have a "video card" just as cpu support, kinda like nvidia telsa cards but a whole lot cheaper. You only need 32cuda cores to be faster than a CPU. why not take a low end AMD card and use the "AUs" to do the same.

That's exactly where they're moving - cheap efficient general purpose cores plus a GPU doing the heavy lifting.

Well I guess we'll wait and see. I'd hate to see AMD quit making high end processors. Intel needs a competitor to keep the prices low.... or else wallets will go empty in no time. Either that or stay full indefinitely.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

Well this is stupid. I wanted bulldozer to be crap just to shut up all the stupid fanboys on certain forums, but I would rather have a competitive AMD than one that throws in the towel :(