Upgread my old rig? or get new.? some help.

llhuskyll

Gigabyte GV-N67OC-2GD

+1 BF3 is quite tricky to max out. It uses up to 4 cores if I'm not mistaken, and unlike many games out there, purely depends on the 'computing capabilities' of the GPUs (so PhysX, and those extra features are usually not of much use).

Get the 2500K or if you want IB, the 3570K, coupled with a good Z77 board.

Personally I'd get the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H instead of the D3H TJ linked since for $40 more, the UD5H carries buckloads of features compared to the D3H.

For the GPU, the Gigabyte GV-N67OC-2GD is ridiculously cheap IMO for a custom, 3 fans cooled card. Performs great too. If you really want to max out BF3 (Ultra, 16x AF, 4xMSAA, etc..) I'd look no less than an overclocked GTX670.

There's no need to change your PSU. Andyson is kind of an 'on-off' brand so as long as you've had no problems with your current one, there's no need to change really since 650W should be enough for a 2500K + 670. Better spend the rest of your money on a SSD for short loading time :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Oops. I thought I had linked the UD5 :doh:

Another thought would be to skip the SSD and get the GTX 680. BF3 does perform better with a quad core CPU, and the speed at which the CPU runs does provide a slight edge in FPS. However, it is only like 3 FPS at most.

Personally the GTX 680 would probably be a better investment because I have been seeing news about Computex and how they are going to be showing off new graphics engines and all sorts of fun stuff. Obviously this translates to better graphics in games and of course more strain on your GPU. Hopefully with a GTX 680 you would be a little future proof, and could play new releases of games until crysis 3.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overclock your C2D and get a better CPU. My friend nearly maxed out Skyrim with an almost identical setup (e8400/260) and now has a 460 1GB and can max it, only has a tiny bit of trouble with running nvidia 3D for him @ 1080P but does surprisingly well

Overclock your C2D and get a better CPU. My friend nearly maxed out Skyrim with an almost identical setup (e8400/260) and now has a 460 1GB and can max it, only has a tiny bit of trouble with running nvidia 3D for him @ 1080P but does surprisingly well

How does he max it??????? I have trouble getting skyrim to max out with a overclocked 560 ti. Granted it is 1900x1200 rather than 1080, but still. Every time I put things on max settings, I get artifacts and all sorts of fun stuff.

How does he max it??????? I have trouble getting skyrim to max out with a overclocked 560 ti. Granted it is 1900x1200 rather than 1080, but still. Every time I put things on max settings, I get artifacts and all sorts of fun stuff.

If you're getting artifacts you're doing it wrong. I run Skyrim on my HTPC (X3 720 @stock, 7750, 8 GB RAM) with everything maxed out with the HD texture pack and a couple other graphics mods without any issues or slowdowns at 1920x1080. :cheers:

If you're getting artifacts you're doing it wrong. I run Skyrim on my HTPC (X3 720 @stock, 7750, 8 GB RAM) with everything maxed out with the HD texture pack and a couple other graphics mods without any issues or slowdowns at 1920x1080. :cheers:

..................................yeah I have to be doing something wrong if that is the case. I suppose I did torrent the game. But it should not impact it that much if what you are saying is true. When I get my mobo hopefully withing 2 weeks I will see what happens.

This is a perfect example of why you should actually buy the games you enjoy. :lol:

I didn't know I was going to enjoy it at all. Hence the torrent :P

I might get the game and see if I can still get to all of my saved content.

Sorry, but a OC'd C2D won't hang in BF3. Skyrim is easy to max out, BF3 is not. Though you should be able to max out D3 on your C2D rig.

I would go 2500k, GTX 670, DDR3 RAM, and if there is money left I would get the SSD since BF3 actually takes advantage of fast HDDs ...mostly when loading up the map so you can get first dibs on vehicles.

I didn't know I was going to enjoy it at all. Hence the torrent :P

I might get the game and see if I can still get to all of my saved content.

Some skyrim mods cause save file bloat ...which not only causes large save files but slows the game down. Who knows what a hacked version of the game does.

Honestly I would just start fresh.

Sorry, but a OC'd C2D won't hang in BF3. Skyrim is easy to max out, BF3 is not. Though you should be able to max out D3 on your C2D rig.

I would go 2500k, GTX 670, DDR3 RAM, and if there is money left I would get the SSD since BF3 actually takes advantage of fast HDDs ...mostly when loading up the map so you can get first dibs on vehicles.

Some skyrim mods cause save file bloat ...which not only causes large save files but slows the game down. Who knows what a hacked version of the game does.

Honestly I would just start fresh.

Yeah I still go back to the whole get a gtx 670-80 idea in regards to BF3.

I will figure something out for skyrim. It sort of has me excited that I can actually play it at max. Now I just have to wait for the stupid maximum v formula board.

imo BF3 is not worth the money to buy a whole new system. I have a less powerful rig than yours and I can max out D3 easily, and I have played BF3, on high but not maxed out, and Skyrim maxed out is fine for me.

Just get a new videocard and throw in a SSD, enjoy fast computing for a long time and save money. You should overclock that E8500, it OCs very nicely.

Whatever the case, overclocking is free and you already have an aftermarket cooler so get the games and see how it does with what you have, also overclock that 260 if it isn't already, it should get the job done well enough. 260's overclocked nice