Sign in to follow this  
Iyashu

My first (quite) serious build

Hi Guys

This is my first post on here, got drawn to this site by all the good reviews of parts I've been checking out. I'm getting tired of my current PC and want to upgrade to something better.

Specs I'm looking at:

i7 2600k 3.4GHz (That I'll be overclocking) CPU

12GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 LP RAM

Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard

2 x Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 in SLI

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Chassis

Huntkey X7-900 PSU

EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler

Do you guys have any feedback on this? Any overkill or underspecs you can see?

Thanks in advance :)

Okay first I think you have a typo, 4x4 ia 16 gig not 12 :-)

Is there a reason to choose the 2600K over the 2500K? Oh I know about the hyperr threading but unless you have a specific app you kNOW makes use of it you will find that you gained no real performance advanatge and could have saved a little money.

Next, I personally HATE crossfire and sli. They work but only sometimes and the games they do not work in make it a waste. I would rather one big video card over two smaller ones. For the money you are spending you could get a GTX 670, 680 or HD 7970 and get better stability, compatability and performace that goes over all games, not just ones supporting SLI. Plus you would even use less power. I would take this however even a step further, if you are only going to use a single monitor, I would personally not buy anything bigger than a GTX 670, though even that is over kill, you could go down to an HD7850, a very underrated card, and get great gaming performance.

I would also look at a different PSU. I am not familiar with the one you listed and I tend to be a bit picky about staying with companies I have come to trust. I would look for a good Thermaltake, OCZ or Corsair and you would be fine. I would also not worry about getting anything bigger than about 750 watts.

Finally on the cooler I would spend a little extra and get a Thermaltake Water 2.0, Antec 620 or Corsair H60. These are solid coolers, easy to work with and leaves plenty of room for any RAM setup you want to use.

Edited by ComputerEd

I'll have to differ on ComputerEd's opinion of Crossfire and SLI. I've been Crossfiring and SLI'ing for nearly 3 years now, and I've had no problems. However, I will agree, at this point, a GTX 670, GTX 680, or HD 7970 when everclocked, will now outperform two overclocked GTX 560 Ti's in SLI for just a tad bit more.

If you want to save some money, I'm selling a used i7 2600K and ASUS P8Z68-V Pro combo, though I'm not sure if you live in the US.

Stick with Corsair for PSU's, decent prices, great customer service, and great quality.

If you're overclocking an i7 2600K, 4.6GHz will be your 24/7 overclock on a high-end Noctua NH-D14 cooler. With something in the $20 range, you'll be getting maybe 4.2GHz. In the $40 range, maybe 4.4GHz.

Okay first I think you have a typo, 4x4 ia 16 gig not 12 :-)

Is there a reason to choose the 2600K over the 2500K? Oh I know about the hyperr threading but unless you have a specific app you kNOW makes use of it you will find that you gained no real performance advanatge and could have saved a little money.

Next, I personally HATE crossfire and sli. They work but only sometimes and the games they do not work in make it a waste. I would rather one big video card over two smaller ones. For the money you are spending you could get a GTX 670, 680 or HD 7970 and get better stability, compatability and performace that goes over all games, not just ones supporting SLI. Plus you would even use less power. I would take this however even a step further, if you are only going to use a single monitor, I would personally not buy anything bigger than a GTX 670, though even that is over kill, you could go down to an HD7850, a very underrated card, and get great gaming performance.

I would also look at a different PSU. I am not familiar with the one you listed and I tend to be a bit picky about staying with companies I have come to trust. I would look for a good Thermaltake, OCZ or Corsair and you would be fine. I would also not worry about getting anything bigger than about 750 watts.

Finally on the cooler I would spend a little extra and get a Thermaltake Water 2.0, Antec 620 or Corsair H60. These are solid coolers, easy to work with and leaves plenty of room for any RAM setup you want to use.

Yeah, that was a typo. I'm looking at 16GB. I'm a student taking a parallel programming course so the extra threads would help me in development and practical application benchmarks. I already have one GTX 560 so I thought just getting another would be easier than trying to sell it. I'm definitely sticking with NVidia. I had an ATI card and it just doesn't play nice with Linux at all. I'll take a look at those brands for a PSU, even though they're a bit more expensive. On the cooler side: To be honest I've always been afraid of watercooling, I've never installed a watercooling system and wouldn't wanna mess it up, plus my budget is getting a bit tight here at the end.

I'll have to differ on ComputerEd's opinion of Crossfire and SLI. I've been Crossfiring and SLI'ing for nearly 3 years now, and I've had no problems. However, I will agree, at this point, a GTX 670, GTX 680, or HD 7970 when everclocked, will now outperform two overclocked GTX 560 Ti's in SLI for just a tad bit more.

If you want to save some money, I'm selling a used i7 2600K and ASUS P8Z68-V Pro combo, though I'm not sure if you live in the US.

Stick with Corsair for PSU's, decent prices, great customer service, and great quality.

If you're overclocking an i7 2600K, 4.6GHz will be your 24/7 overclock on a high-end Noctua NH-D14 cooler. With something in the $20 range, you'll be getting maybe 4.2GHz. In the $40 range, maybe 4.4GHz.

I've read pretty decent reviews of the GTX 560 in SLI, and as I mentioned earlier I've already got one. Unfortunately I live in South Africa so shipping is gonna be a bit of a hassle. I won't be OC'ing the CPU right off the bat, wanna see how my new baby does on her own first, lol.

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

For water cooling they mean closed everything :P so you wouldn't have to mess with/worry about messing with any type of liquid although i do agree getting one big vid card over two little ones can help you and then when prices lower you can buy another. For power supplies, look online at the power supply you want to use and look at the buyers reviews since they have first hand experience with the products :P