Custom high end Mousepad

Puck

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, People don't realize how hard it is to train mice to use the restroom outside.

:lol:.

I'm hoping to get the stainless in on Friday so i can buy some Dremel tips to start rounding the edges out. I want to complete it on Tuesday, so I hope everything comes in on time.

I'm real curious on the shades I can get by heating it - I've heard it starts orange, creeps into a bronze, then ends up a nice electric blue depending on how long you heat it. It won't be the cool rainbow effect of heated Titanium (now THAT would be a badass mousepad LOL!), but I should be able to get some cool colors out of it that will never wear away or fade.

**edit** Nevermind on the heat coloring. It seems the oxidation that gives heated stainless its wide range of colors also diminishes one of its most important traits - rust resistance. Standard stainless will never rust, but if you flame color it, it will slowly develop surface rust unless you maintain it like a sword with regular cleanings and oiling. WAY too much of a PITA for me, so zero maintenance polished it is!

Edited by Puck

While browsing around for other high end mousepads to see whats really on the market and what people are charging, I stumbled upon one on Ebay for $45 bucks. It looked pretty sweet - solid thick gauge stainless with a beveled perimeter, and only $45??? From my research, that would barely cover the materials needed to make something like that, so I read the description more closely...

It has 4 little 3M feet instead of a full back of industrial Neoprene, and most importantly its TINY! Only 9.5" wide and 6.25" tall! My G5 Mouse is 5.5" tall so you can immediately see the problem...there is NO WAY you can game on it with 1" of vertical real estate - you'd be lifting the mouse like crazy :lol:. My mousepad will have literally over TWICE the surface area :). While its an awesome mousepad, it is clearly meant for general office type usage and not for gaming...but hearing that their prototype was used for thousands of hours over many years with no visible wear was a great confirmation to the validity of Stainless Steel as a mousepad.

:lol:

Here's how I just found it - I clicked on the *gasp* reviews link at the top of the page. Ctrl+F, "Meduza", and bam, there it was. :rofl: Not that hard methinks. :P

Well sure, if ya cheat!

I went to the News section thinking it was a new review but didn't see it so I clicked the Corsair Mouse review and clicked on the Input Devices sub-section and didn't see it there! Try your fancy Ctrl-F there bucko! :lol:

I don't know how many in this thread are Home Improvement fans, but I think Puck should create "The Man's Gaming Office"! It would be all stainless steel! :woot:

I don't know how many in this thread are Home Improvement fans, but I think Puck should create "The Man's Gaming Office"! It would be all stainless steel! :woot:

Keep the shades drawn to prevent glare and reflections :lol:.

Was thinking about this, my WoW!Pad is almost 7 years old and STILL going strong. Now I love it even more.

:withstupid: Mine's probably about 4 years but still love it

Page one for me. :lol:

:withstupid: I was so glad to change that