Video Compression

I've gone through a bunch of video compression and encoding programs, trying to find something to shrink my video files with preferabbly no quality loss.

For the longest time I've just stuck with Handbrake. But I know there's better options out there (or maybe I've just not configured it properly.) Especially because of the million youtube users who can upload pristine gaming videosL I find it hard to believe they have 100 hours of video sitting around uncompressed.

Does anyone know of a program, even if it involves very particular encoding settings, that can compress video to a manageable size, yet still maintain pristine quality of the videos?

You see pirates compressing 720p movies to 400MB, youtube users with hundreds of hours of uploads that have been edited (meaning they likely had more video that didn't get used) and more- I know there has to be something better than just standard old handbrake and .flv converting.

Hand break is free and you can do 6pass on it. Personally the best format iv come across is vc-1 but it's not web compatible. Next up would be h.264 and I suggest you get the pixel/bit to .3 and your golden.

For the record I dont use hand break because adobe media encoder while not free gives a much cleaner video I think

While the more passes you do the better the video is (normally) it doesn't shrink the video size, it only optimize the biterate. I think most quailty 720p video are around 2-3mbit/s

Edited by hornybluecow
  • Like 1

Use AVC with lower bitrates. You're always going to have quality loss with compression. What is your original video quality type and resolution?

Game recordings: Afterburner, 100% quality (exactly as displayed on screen while gaming), MJPG compression, 1920x1080@30FPS, 8 channel audio@24-bits, 96KHz. Recordings also seem to include GX positional audio, as I can hear in replays. Would only be noticable with other users that have an ASUS GX audio enabled card I assume, so it's not important that the encoder keeps the GX audio.

File format of recorded video is .avi.

I typically try to render in a 27-30FPS file, as on youtube a 60FPS video isn't important IMO. Though public opinion may differ.

Btw, +1 bluecow. I'll give that a try next time and let you know how it turns out.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

IVIythos turned us on to FormatFactory and its a nice little FREE program... I use it and it works pretty well plus it does a bunch of other cool stuff like joining 2-part movies with ease

Don't forget your overall Biterate includes audio so you might be having the PCM audio take up all the space. Check out your options and change your audio to 22khz and hopefully mp3 since avi supports it.

The video biterate is usually great around 3mbit but you'll have to play with it even more since your output is going to be avi

Edited by hornybluecow

Don't forget your overall Biterate includes audio so you might be having the PCM audio take up all the space. Check out your options and change your audio to 22khz and hopefully mp3 since avi supports it.

The video biterate is usually great around 3mbit but you'll have to play with it even more since your output is going to be avi

I don't have to output to .avi. I'm saying that Afterburner records to avi files.

So I'm starting with an avi file. I can use any format compatible with youtube uploads to output to.

I would be interested in what you find works.

Right now I am recording gaming vids in FRAPS and it keeps stuttering. Supposedly you can reduce that by recording to a separate hard drive but there has to be a more elegant solution than extra hardware.

I too am miffed at the quality of the playback. I get a better 1:1 correlation from MW3's theater on my 360 than I do with recordings from my PC. I may have to reduce the resolution of the recording.

Edited by Fogel