3 piracy warnings in 2 days...wtf

This would be a great article for the "how to" section..... hint hint :)

A VPN/proxy will only help if it constantly changes and is anonymous. I don't think running TOR would be viable for daily use though...certainly not 24/7 use.

A VPN/proxy will only help if it constantly changes and is anonymous. I don't think running TOR would be viable for daily use though...certainly not 24/7 use.

You can't use TOR for P2P purposes. Even if you could it would be like 75KB/s

Personally I never do anything P2P full stop. but "if' once I had downloaded TDU2 pirated...just to test if my gaming wheel was compatible(as it came out after it's launch)...and not that I "DID"...and get so fed up that some of the maps were missing that I went and bought the full game...:D....

sometimes pirating is a waste of time...sometimes it isn't....especially for $600 programs...(not that I have :P)

but if it cost $25> it isn't worth it!

Personally I never do anything P2P full stop. but "if' once I had downloaded TDU2 pirated...just to test if my gaming wheel was compatible(as it came out after it's launch)...and not that I "DID"...and get so fed up that some of the maps were missing that I went and bought the full game...:D....

sometimes pirating is a waste of time...sometimes it isn't....especially for $600 programs...(not that I have :P)

but if it cost $25> it isn't worth it!

Not a bad rule but more often than not, piracy is a result of service, not price. Take Diablo 3 for example, their servers are so busy, there are legit owners of the game trying to find cracks for it on pirate sites. :lol:

To the OP, my advice would be to ask around and see if anyone in your area has actually been cut off for this sort of thing. My previous and current ISPs send us a lot of letters about it but they never actually cut us off. Honestly, we received probably something like 30~ letters from our old ISP, US Cable about it. I think we've gotten about five letters from our current ISP, Charter. Neither ever cut us off for it, they just send the letters to pretend like they're doing something about it for the movie and music studios, but ya, I recommend asking friends or coworkers, whoever you know that has the same ISP.

You can't use TOR for P2P purposes. Even if you could it would be like 75KB/s

That was kinda my point. :P

It sucks for pretty much everything that needs low latency or bandwidth.

However, you can still route your P2P traffic through an offshore proxy server that resides in a country that has more "lenient" or "non-existent" or "non-enforced" laws on file sharing....... Most popular torrent apps allow you to enter proxy server settings.

Guest ajmatson

Okay sent some time this morning on with the Cox corporate offices. The question I asked was what criteria of proof had to be presented to Cox in order for them to send out a warning. Now I identified myself up front as well as the show and explained that I was doing show research and was take notes, not recording the call. They were happy to talk to me until I asked the specific question as I stated above. They then explained that I needed to be transferred and so up the food chain I went. I went from the base caller to an unknown position, to his supervisor, to his supervisor, to another unknown position, to that woman's supervisor and was then met with the person telling me before I could speak that they had no comment on this matter and I was hung up on.

So I cannot speak to Cox's position on this because they literally ducked the question. I can however say that when I put the same question to our local IPS, Mediacom, I was directed within about 3 transfers to a corporate lawyer who told me bluntly that the only proof they needed was an affidavit from the person accusing the user of piracy. Now here is the kicker, this affidavit was not even accusing a person but an IP address and the provider determined the user. NO proof beyond the word of the accuser was required.

I am willing to lay money that this is the same policy at all ISPs. The only way to be safe from this is to not pirate but even that is not safe since someone could spoof using your IP address or steal your Wi-Fi signal. Once this becomes a court case of a user suing an ISP THEN we will see this change but until then I expect this will stand as is.

As someone who is in the security industry for a living, I must commend you on your stance and the time you took to look into this. I deal with this daily with someone in a corporate LAN torrenting and even time to time, breaking in. With the ease of hacking Wifi these days no one can be too safe. I as mentioned by ComputerEd the best way is not to do it, it's really not worth it. Second from that I would really scrub your system and remove any files you know you once downloaded from the machine to another storage drive. I have seen notices in the past reference the specific items that were "Pirated". Second secure your network as good as you can.

Cheers,

Alan

However, you can still route your P2P traffic through an offshore proxy server that resides in a country that has more "lenient" or "non-existent" or "non-enforced" laws on file sharing....... Most popular torrent apps allow you to enter proxy server settings.

I don't think he's trying to do P2P stuff anyway, at least not any more.

Proxy servers are crazy slow in general though - and if the proxy is even slightly well known / paid for they'll likely cough up user information if pushed. I think it's absolutely idiotic that a simple ALLEGATION of pirating can get your internet disconnected. I think it'd be absolutely hilarious if a law firm pulled a stunt where they sent notices to every ISP accusing EVERY valid IP that the ISP owned of pirating. Within a month the practice would be entirely useless...and we'd no longer have to worry about idiots hacking your wifi, your stupid siblings/children, etc. An IP address is not a person and it should not be treated as one.

I remember when P2P was blocked on my college campus so I couldn't even update WoW in a timely manner. Then I decided it was worth $5 a month to buy a usenet account, and funny enough there was zero throttling on usenet access so I could slow the internet down for an entire building. I think most ISPs got rid of their free usenet servers by now. bleh.

I don't think he's trying to do P2P stuff anyway, at least not any more.

Proxy servers are crazy slow in general though - and if the proxy is even slightly well known / paid for they'll likely cough up user information if pushed. I think it's absolutely idiotic that a simple ALLEGATION of pirating can get your internet disconnected. I think it'd be absolutely hilarious if a law firm pulled a stunt where they sent notices to every ISP accusing EVERY valid IP that the ISP owned of pirating. Within a month the practice would be entirely useless...and we'd no longer have to worry about idiots hacking your wifi, your stupid siblings/children, etc. An IP address is not a person and it should not be treated as one.

+1 it's just not worth to go all that effort just because your bully of an ISP is trying to intimidate you with bogus piracy warning.