Mo2teye

Need a new Headset

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is best for you ? ( don't hate the name .. if you never tried either of them don't play smart please )

• Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound
    • The Logitech Wireless Headset F540 with Stereo Game Audio

I apologize to not answer and update this thread and a thank you everyone for answering is in order. . . so thank you

I wish to ask you now about what to get, I decided that me sticking to wireless is useless. Ill go wired for the sake of bigger availability and bigger selection.

I am currently thinking about a Sennheiser HD-280 PRO

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339247595&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+280+pro

and coupling a sound card with it . . . ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 Channel XONAR DX

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Channel-XONAR_DX-XD-90-YAA060-1UAN00Z/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339247604&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar+dx

the budget is limited to 200$ so that's about it, what do you guys think ?

Sounds like you got a bad headset, then. My carcharias' were very good, though a little weak on bass. They were very comfortable as well, and felt very light on my head. Maybe you just have a weird shaped head :P

No it was because my friend has a senheiser headset and I know what quality sound is. The razer headsets don't provide great sound by comparison.

The headsets do fit, but it sits very loosely. I know it is supposed to be that way so it doesn't pinch your head, but still, if I am shaking my head because my teammates decide to be a bunch of morons and charge directly into enemy fire, I want my headset to rest firmly on my head and not move around.

@Op: right now with that sound card your total budget is about 200. If I were in your shoes I would just get the best headset you could and use the full 200 dollar budget than worrying about a sound card.

Chances are that your on board sound will not be too different from that sound card.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U

(I just assumed the headsets were for gaming.

@Op: right now with that sound card your total budget is about 200. If I were in your shoes I would just get the best headset you could and use the full 200 dollar budget than worrying about a sound card.

Chances are that your on board sound will not be too different from that sound card.

yes it is for gaming, well i read that having a weak sound card with a good headset will limit the performance of the headset, and vice versa of course. That being said, i realize the internet is full of bull crap and i am a retard in audio stuff. So tell me, i am indeed willing to pay 200$ for sound and my motherboard is the P8P67 Pro, is its sound output bad or good enough ?

yes it is for gaming, well i read that having a weak sound card with a good headset will limit the performance of the headset, and vice versa of course. That being said, i realize the internet is full of bull crap and i am a retard in audio stuff. So tell me, i am indeed willing to pay 200$ for sound and my motherboard is the P8P67 Pro, is its sound output bad or good enough ?

Basically with sound cards you spend a ton of money for a little bit of quality. And from my experience, on board sound is just fine for most of the games on the market anyways. You could buy a 3000 sound card and the foot steps in modern warfare 3 will sound just about the same as they do with on board sound IMHO.

On the other hand though a good headset can make a massive difference. For me, I went from using the speakers built into my tv - to a pair of 20 dollar skull candy ear buds - to a 60 dollar pair of the razer carcharias - and now to a pair of quincy jones Q 701s (thanks again stoner boy for your input, I love these things :thumbsup: )

Each time I made a step towards better sound, my gaming improved dramatically. Originally my first jump to the ear buds helped me hear foot steps and the different things like that. My second jump I was able to hear the difference between random sound effects and foot steps, and lastly the Q701's give me a much better sense of position. For instance, with the carcharias it would sound like people were 10 feet away when they were really 5 feet away which made things a bit awkward, but with the q701's you can pretty much hear exactly where everything is and what everything is.

To flip back to the sound card on the other hand, I went from on board sound to a 40 dollar basic sound card, and now I have a 200 dollar sound card. The only difference it has made for me has been in music, and not in gaming.

If nothing else this is my experience.

Lastly, one headset that you might want to wait for would be the asus orion.

Thank you for your input man i appreciate it, guess ill wait a bit and see new additions to the headset market

No it was because my friend has a senheiser headset and I know what quality sound is. The razer headsets don't provide great sound by comparison.

The headsets do fit, but it sits very loosely. I know it is supposed to be that way so it doesn't pinch your head, but still, if I am shaking my head because my teammates decide to be a bunch of morons and charge directly into enemy fire, I want my headset to rest firmly on my head and not move around.

Considering that the Razer Carcharias is held on par with the Sennheiser PC350, and only slightly below the PC360 (which is basically just an HD595), I'd say that the large majority of the audio community disagrees with you. You're not the only one that's worn high-end headphones. I had a pair of Denon D2000's before they were stolen, and I've worn headsets like the AKG701 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 premium.

Considering that the Razer Carcharias is held on par with the Sennheiser PC350, and only slightly below the PC360 (which is basically just an HD595), I'd say that the large majority of the audio community disagrees with you. You're not the only one that's worn high-end headphones. I had a pair of Denon D2000's before they were stolen, and I've worn headsets like the AKG701 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 premium.

On what planet is a sennheiser headset held on par with a razer headset? Believe me I am no audiophile genius, and I will personally admit that time and time again, however, the razer headset really is quite bad. For the money it is great......but that is about it. The mic is not very adjustable, the sound is not good (it is very easy to misjudge direction and distance with them), and above all else the grip in the head adjustment sucks. This might just by an issue I have, but I have to readjust the darn things every other 10 minutes.

Quite frankly, in my experience between the razer headsets, and the corsair headsets they have on display at microcenter, I would have chosen the corsair vengeance 1300 if I could go back and choose again. They just produce a better gaming experience. The sound is better, the mic is better, even the padding is a bit better. Considering the vengeance is supposedly a bad headset to go with, and I find them to be better than these razer ones, than how much further up the chain are the sennheisers? Personally I really don't know. I have not tried them on myself or anything, but I would be highly surprised if they were that bad. Just the build quality alone should be more than the razer set.

Personally, if you were looking at the sub 100 dollar range, I would go with either the Siberia V2 or the corsair vengeance 1300 (I have yet to personally see why audiophiles give the corsair headsets so much hate). Above the 100 dollar range, I would actually revise my sennheiser headset choice for the razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. These are hitting the market in 9 days and they are supposed to be unbelievable. Either way, I would strongly advise against the razer carcharias.

On what planet is a sennheiser headset held on par with a razer headset? Believe me I am no audiophile genius, and I will personally admit that time and time again, however, the razer headset really is quite bad. For the money it is great......but that is about it. The mic is not very adjustable, the sound is not good (it is very easy to misjudge direction and distance with them), and above all else the grip in the head adjustment sucks. This might just by an issue I have, but I have to readjust the darn things every other 10 minutes.

Quite frankly, in my experience between the razer headsets, and the corsair headsets they have on display at microcenter, I would have chosen the corsair vengeance 1300 if I could go back and choose again. They just produce a better gaming experience. The sound is better, the mic is better, even the padding is a bit better. Considering the vengeance is supposedly a bad headset to go with, and I find them to be better than these razer ones, than how much further up the chain are the sennheisers? Personally I really don't know. I have not tried them on myself or anything, but I would be highly surprised if they were that bad. Just the build quality alone should be more than the razer set.

Personally, if you were looking at the sub 100 dollar range, I would go with either the Siberia V2 or the corsair vengeance 1300 (I have yet to personally see why audiophiles give the corsair headsets so much hate). Above the 100 dollar range, I would actually revise my sennheiser headset choice for the razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. These are hitting the market in 9 days and they are supposed to be unbelievable. Either way, I would strongly advise against the razer carcharias.

On a planet where people don't look at brand before sound quality. Sound wise, they're on par with PC350s, like I said.

I personally use Siberia V2's because they have better bass, but for FPS games, the Razer Carcharias is a better headset. The V2s are more balanced, and better for music. The PC350s have almost no bass, and are similar to the Carcharias in that aspect.

I own the 930 and absolutley love it. Sounds great. Durable. Holds a good charge. Wire is long if you have to plug it in. All around great headset. Microwave doesn't get along with it but no biggie.

Go for the Logitech G930s. I just switched from Sennheiser PC350 and they are very similar in sound quality, which is top notch. I love the wireless, it works great. Get these headsets!

I am still wondering what to do here honestly, all i can say is, i am now confused between these 3 options :

1 ) Sennheiser HD280 Pro with Xonar DX + clip microphone

2 ) Audio Technica ATH-M50 with Xonar DX + clip microphone

3 ) Logitech G930, and since the g930 has its own processors and is a USB headset, then wont be able to use the sound-card anyway, so ill get it alone.

I know many gave suggestions. But i still didnt make up my mind. And honestly speaking i still am not convinced. I have to say i already ditched the wireless thing, its all fine, wired i will have to love with considering the options are much wider and much better.

As i have read in a LOT of reviews. . . stay away of gaming headsets, and apparently what i will need is good soundstage and good sound quality. Also, a problem rose while i was searching, i noticed the fact that it has to be sound isolating or sound cancelling. Either one i dont care but the important is to be isolated from the outside. For relatively obvious gaming purposes and for the fact that where i live it is very noisy. Which explains why i will go for closed headphones.

The HD 280 pro looks good enough but i read that the ATH-M50 are even better . . .

Anyone can suggest something even better ? and please, dont mock my noobness in audio . . . I already know how useless i am in these things

Thanks in advance

I still say go for the Logitech G930. I was skeptical at first about them, but they really compare to the PC350s with a good sound card for gaming. I get the same high quality sound. The bass is a little better, but not as good as dedicated subwoofer. The Mic is nice as well, everyone says I sound clear and they don't hear background noises. The headphones are fairly comfortable and do have noise reduction. While they aren't as comfortable as my Sennheisers, they are built to last while the coating on the PC350s is falling off. The wireless is great, no more stupid wires and the volume is on the headset, much better than inline. Overall, I like these headphones more because of their versatility, ease of use, and build quality.