PC won't start.

So I just got the i7 3770K and an asus P8Z77-pro (will be exchanging it for the asus sabertooth when it is back in stock at microcenter) along with a corsair H100 for giggles. I put it all together correctly, but when I push the power button NOTHING happens. No fans, no lights, no nothing. I have tried different ram, I made sure the PSU was giving power to the board (the board has an indicator LED Saying that it is getting power), I made sure the case headers were plugged in in the right place.

I have already gone through the whole nine yards of trying to fix this thing. Is there anything I might have missed? Or is one of my parts just DOA? Maybe I shouldn't have bought anything since my bill was 666 dollars (no joke either....I told you guys I am extremely unlucky with computers :teehee: )

Mmmm yew put gas innit? Lol.

Might be a trivial suggestion but you could try using something metal like a screwdriver or a pen point to "jump" the power leads on the motherboard rather than relying on the case headers. The switch could be bad.

Have you tried "hotwiring" the PSU to make sure it comes on? Sometimes just the power LED on a motherboard isn't always a good indicator that the PSU is working properly

Mmmm yew put gas innit? Lol.

Might be a trivial suggestion but you could try using something metal like a screwdriver or a pen point to "jump" the power leads on the motherboard rather than relying on the case headers. The switch could be bad.

Have you tried "hotwiring" the PSU to make sure it comes on? Sometimes just the power LED on a motherboard isn't always a good indicator that the PSU is working properly

+1

Also, do you have another 1155 socket chip you can try in that board? If all else fails try building it outside the case, you might have accidently dropped something under the MB when putting it together...

If all else fails try building it outside the case, you might have accidently dropped something under the MB when putting it together...

I always suggest setting everything up outside the case as a 1st step! That way you know there isn't a grounding problem with the board.

As Airman said though, powering everything up by "jumping" the pins with a screwdriver will eliminate a very simple problem, such as bad or wired incorrectly header switches .

Just asking but is the processor inserted properly, do you have all the motherboard connectors pluged in right. Are you using a psu that has the proper certifications and it the video card a known good part??? Other then that take everything off except what you need to do a post test and go forth.

Pick up a cheap multimeter and test the PSU. A multi meter is a great tool to have laying around. Gound out the PSU and you can test it easily.

Usually your symptoms are the board grounding out or the board is DOA. Build the system out side the case on the motherboard box and just plug the essentials in and see if it posts. TJ, for someone who says a lot you should know to build it outside the case in his situation.

I do like the unlucky with computer title.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Drdeath

Sounds like the power and reset leads not correctly. That board has on board switches correct? Have you tried them? Made sure the TPU and EPU switches are in the default positions

I know that the PSU is good since it was working before hand on my 1366 socket platform. The only issue I had was with the 8 pin CPU connector. For some reason I had to insert it differently than on my 1366 mobo. That is probably normal though, and the pins fit in the socket without any jamming or anything.

I do not have another socket 1155 mobo to use. Only 1366 :ouch:

Yes the PSU is a corsair 650 w PSU running a GTX 560 ti, and has been working the past year. Everything is good there. I even barrowed a multi meter already and have checked the PSU to make sure it is working correctly. @ Dr. Death......Yeah I know I should get a multi meter, I am just lazy. :teehee:

I already have the board outside the case Dr. Death. I had already done that before I had even put up the thread soooooo yeah I do know what I am doing, and by the way, I am really glad I have asus on my side for this issue rather than MSI ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ..............Just messing with you :P

Also, just a heads up. What I am really trying to figure out is if it is just a regular fixable issue, is it a DOA mobo, OR am I truly screwed and it is a DOA CPU. The fixable issues and the DOA motherboard is pretty easy to fix with little effort. The CPU on the other hand is a bit tricky to even do through the returns desk at Microcenter.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

If it doesn't even power on at all when jumping the power switch...it's probably the mobo. Mine, even sans CPU, would at least power on for a split second.

If it doesn't even power on at all when jumping the power switch...it's probably the mobo. Mine, even sans CPU, would at least power on for a split second.

Well, after doing everything in the book, I called asus and they said that the mobo was indeed DOA. I just had a hard time believing this since this has been my 32nd DOA since the start of the new year. I didn't even do anything wrong either because I swapped it out with a new board and everything works fine. I guess I am just the worlds unluckiest PC person. :dunno:

i wonder why Tj said that; he's extreme unlucky with computers. next i lol with that 666 bill.

until i saw that 32nd DOAs just in 5 months time :fp:

but i found you Tj that lucky still cause you are living in the US. what's the big deal? with all of those hassles(or even just a part of it) and you were here in the Philippines; you're through and dead with your hobby then!

dealing such issues for us here seems 'agonizing' :rtfm: . seriously i was just simply amazed how you guys dealt with it (RMA and stuffs) walking in the park. and there's no way we can have that money back guaranty what you are enjoying :nyea:

enjoy your new toy TJ! :cheers: