Sign in to follow this  
Boinker

Project X79

The X79 board from Intel is not bad when you drill down into it. I'm just more partial to others that have a more robust power delivery system and feature set. Performance wise they do quite well.

Thanks cokeman. Much appreciated

This is the board Intel keeps giving out to case modders :lol:

It's solid on specs, great on price and people just don't trust it for the simple reason that Intel hasn't every really been big in the motherboard market.

But at the sacrifice of some ports you have some pretty cool features like wireless b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1 oh and there is a blue skull :D

Thanks for the reply stonerboy. The system may not be overclocked for a whe so we shall see how it does without some help fom Mr. Multiplier. Im in the process of taking apart my video cards and placing the stock hsf,s back on so i can do air cooling for some time. I know its almost un neccesary but i would like to have the system in an easily diagnosedz state for the first month to get my initial testing done. May need to find some converaion brackets so i can run the megahalems in it for a while. Lol

that being said i will be reminded why my gtx480's are watercooled in the same operation. Lol

• 2 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997043
  • 1 x Intel BOXDX79SI LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • 1 x Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

Almost identical to what I have (except I have a total of 32GB of that ram)

And yea, it came down to cost.. I got a discount on the board and cpu :)

Well i made a booboo. The 2011 socket processor i bought does not come with a heatsink... Just to check i looked on the egg and found it comes with the processor and manwell ONLY.... Oh crap. There is not a fry's, microcenter or any sort of large computer chain that exists here in town.... Only mom and pop stores. To get something next day aired to me that would make my system would cost more then most heatsinks so i went ahead and bought a zalman cnps9900 max... 70 dollars later i am aircooled again.

we gunna need to setup up a loop just on the vid cards since those 480's can cook hamburgers pretty fast on stock cooling :whistling:

Well i made a booboo. The 2011 socket processor i bought does not come with a heatsink... Just to check i looked on the egg and found it comes with the processor and manwell ONLY.... Oh crap. There is not a fry's, microcenter or any sort of large computer chain that exists here in town.... Only mom and pop stores. To get something next day aired to me that would make my system would cost more then most heatsinks so i went ahead and bought a zalman cnps9900 max... 70 dollars later i am aircooled again.

You do know that you can use some threaded rod in the mounting plate on the Intel X79 board and bolt on your Socket 1366 block............. Im Just saying. 10 bucks in parts from Lowes and you would be back in business on water........... :cheers:

that is true. I went ahead and ordered some convertion screws for my appogee xt from performance for ten bucks plus 5 shipping. Only trouble is during break in and testing i want to get away from watercooling for a bit. I would as you are suggesting snag some different bolts and for my megahalems but i worry to much about breaking things. Lol

we gunna need to setup up a loop just on the vid cards since those 480's can cook hamburgers pretty fast on stock cooling :whistling:

Cook hamburgers and set a world record for noise in an enviorment with an atmosphere thank you. :rofl:

Almost identical to what I have (except I have a total of 32GB of that ram)

And yea, it came down to cost.. I got a discount on the board and cpu :)

Yeah i thought about pushing the ram count higher but in the same right i was worried that the 2011 chips would be just like the 1155 chips in the right that the chips imc would hinder overclocking potential with a higher amount of ram in it.

That being said i know nothing of this chip so it may be time to read some guides tomorrow or saturday to get aquainted.

Well the stuff came in. Ill post some pics from it wheb i get a decent stability test underway. Looks awesome.