Sign in to follow this  
Boinker

Project X79

Well as it says in the topic. I just blew my Asus P6T7 and an I7 950 to hell...... 1.41 volts at the CPU, 1.91v at the pll, 1.40 @ the IOH and 1.418 at the QPI was just too much to handle. I don't want to have another 1366 system so I am going to spend a grand now. Here are the components, so I went looking and found this stuff. want to try intels motherboard out. It looks cool and have a few good reviews under it so I'm going with it. I have a tendency to take POS mobos and get great results so im going for it.

• 2 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997043
    • 1 x Intel BOXDX79SI LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    • 1 x Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

Ill post pics when it arrives. :D

Special thanks to Bishop for making a night time house call to help me make more logical decisions.

Good looking build. I'd be interested to see what you can do with that Intel board. Its a good $55 cheaper than the ASUS X79 boards I've been considering at Newegg. The RAM also looks great, I've got 2 kits of that in my Newegg wishlist for a future X79 build myself.

And of course the 3930k is insanely fast, blowing away Ivy in multithreaded apps.

Good luck! :cheers:

(PS - the platform is X79, not Z79 :P )

Thanks for the reply and thank you for reminding me. It was 2 in the morning when this post happened ans it was not turning out to be a good night.. Was not wanting to part company with my current system but looks like i didnt have much of a choice.

Thanks for the reply and thank you for reminding me. It was 2 in the morning when this post happened ans it was not turning out to be a good night.. Was not wanting to part company with my current system but looks like i didnt have much of a choice.

I'm sorry man. I think my X58 system might be on its last leg too. I've been pumping 1.52v through the QPI/memory controller myself to run DDR3-2000 for the last 2 years, and that probably didn't do it any favors as far as its lifespan goes. I'll probably build a new X79 soon, whether I can figure out my X58 machine's problems or not.

My only gripe with X79 is the limited number of SATA ports. I was hoping the top dog chipset would have more, especially for people that want to use it as a server. I've got 2 6Gps SSDs 2 HDDs and 2 ODD's and that takes every native port! I'd have to use a crappy integrated 3rd party controller or extra RAID card to get more.

Edited by 90sgamer

WHy the Intel board?

Cost saving ? :P

You wont be disappointed :) I love my 3930k :)

WHy the Intel board?

Cost and configuration. Plus i like its looks too. But if you have a suggestion for a better one that does not limit sli potential and cost a ton then believe me i am all ears.

To explain a little

Its the only board out that that the two top x16 slots that are not 4 lanes apart for one another. With the asus rog (other narrowed choice) i would have to run my ocz revo drive in slot 2a to keep the pci bandwidth at x16 and that would make sli and watercooling things overly complicated to assemble and disassemble in the end between the price and that problem. After I looked at just about every other board less ecs and asrock and all the pci lane configurations the choice came down to the rog or the intel. So for now its the intel board.. Preference.... Well yeah. I have buyers remorse like a son of a gun now. Imagine if i bought the rog board. Lol

All seriousness aside time to joke.

That intel board is justified as a slight compromise for the ability to run my system the way i wanted too and not put up the house as collateral. Lol

The reviews on bad egg are not great with that board, not that that means very much.:evilgrin:

I looked at them. Maybe half the people know what they are doing and the other half were giving bad reviews towards newegg and not the product itslef. I did look into that and read a review also. Its not the best overclocker and the bios needs to be be improved it what all was said in the end. I like the old style bios though so im good with it.

I looked at them. Maybe half the people know what they are doing and the other half were giving bad reviews towards newegg and not the product itslef. I did look into that and read a review also. Its not the best overclocker and the bios needs to be be improved it what all was said in the end. I like the old style bios though so im good with it.

It is a very nice looking board, and intel usally puts out a strong product .I think you made a good choice.:thumbsup:

It is a very nice looking board, and intel usally puts out a strong product .I think you made a good choice.:thumbsup:

Thanks spike. Much appreciated.