Galaxy S3 Opinions

Well I had almosts discounted the Samsung Galaxy S3 all together deciding that waiting for something better would be best but......

... A few things have me thinking again.

Native support for more media formats than most will possibly ever need. Flac included and that's good considering the vast majority 90%+ of my favorite music is ripped in flac.

Storage that is unheard of in a phone. 64GB on the phone with a possible 64GB more which means I won't have to try and choose what songs I want on my phone which can be hard with them being a low level of compression flac files.

50GB of Dropbox online storage a big f u to htc and it's 25GB I really hope that this bit is true because it will be perfect for photos.

Speaking of photos I will need to see more regarding the quality of the photos it takes but in terms of the features the stock camera has it is stacking up well I just hope the pics it takes are decent.

2100mAh battery which frankly it needs they have attempted to add some stupid features for power saving like eye tracking and other bs stuff but I will just use CPU over and underclocking with undervolting and advanced power state control.

I do believe I was wrong to discount it outright to begone with but I am now definately interested in yes a quad core would rather Sammy got its dual core a15 finished and in the galaxy s 3. Maybe there will be a revision that is dual we will see.

I am awaiting more reviews and benchmarks and wonder what you guys think?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

Edited by Stonerboy779

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i got the s2 here, not really bothering with looking too into the new gen phones, cause im only 6 months into the 2 year phone contract, but out of the s3 and the new htc one with the tegra 3, i prefer the htc.

good thing for me is that when my contract is up the s4 and whatever its competition is will have been out for 6 months, meaning its on a cheaper plan, cause the s2 started on 80 bucks a month plan, then dropped heaps by the time i got it

i got the s2 here, not really bothering with looking too into the new gen phones, cause im only 6 months into the 2 year phone contract, but out of the s3 and the new htc one with the tegra 3, i prefer the htc.

good thing for me is that when my contract is up the s4 and whatever its competition is will have been out for 6 months, meaning its on a cheaper plan, cause the s2 started on 80 bucks a month plan, then dropped heaps by the time i got it

I was thinking the same but it goes like this....

Htc- sealed battery 1800mAh

S3- removable battery 2100mAh

Htc- max 32GB storage and no microSD slot

S3- max 128GB storage consisting of 64GB on phone and 64GB microSD

Htc- 25GB dropbox

S3- 50GB dropbox

.....but the ui and set up of the htc phone is nicer but the sealed idevice design has really pissed me off.

i see where you are coming from with some of those things, like the smaller battery, but the screen is bigger, the design is better and looks more refined. i wish it had a microsd slot though, and i dont care about the dropbox, i would never use it

i see where you are coming from with some of those things, like the smaller battery, but the screen is bigger, the design is better and looks more refined. i wish it had a microsd slot though, and i dont care about the dropbox, i would never use it

Umm the s3 has a 4.8" screen while the one x has a 4.7" screen....

Not sure entirely on design definately sure on ui as I have already used the sense 4.0 ui and it is great.

No microSD slot is killer for me because 32GB of space can't cut it for me :lol:

Not sure entirely on design definately sure on ui as I have already used the sense 4.0 ui and it is great.

No microSD slot is killer for me because 32GB of space can't cut it for me :lol:

oh, i didnt realise the s3 had a screen that much bigger than the s2, well i retract that point.

i just want a android phone that can match the iphones build quality (as far as metal and glass rather than plastic)

cause i have the s2, and my dad has a iphone 4, and his feels much more solid and better made than mine

You cannot go wrong with either phone, but I picked up the One X for a couple reasons. These are my main thoughts.

- OneX screen is higher pixel density and has more realistic colors then the over-contrasted Sammy screen.

- Better camera - it is the best cell camera I have ever used by MILES. Same MP as the GS3, but thats where the similarities end. OneX has a backlit sensor so does much better low light pictures, has a bunch of adjustable filter effects that apply instantly, and the shutter is nearly instant.

- Even though the battery is smaller, the screen uses less power and battery life is nearly identical.

- While overall not as quick as the beastly 32mm 1.4ghz Exynos Quad, the 28nm S4 Dual core 1.5ghz snapdragon is blazing fast. It matches or beats the Exynos in UI benchmarks, but loses in OGL graphics tests. Not sure if overclocking of each device will widen or shorten the gap yet, since there is no OC Kernal for the OneX yet. It will have to be content with being the 2nd fastest Droid phone when the GS3 comes out.

- Slightly lighter, and IMO, looks better with its unibody design.

- A lot cheaper. Retails for 199, but was $150 for pre-orders. With my trade in phone I only spend like 45 bucks on it. GS3 is expected to cost around 300 bucks with contract. The small performance difference should not be worth 100 dollars.

-The new Sense is amazing. No lag at all (unlike the Note!), minimalistic, and beautiful. HTC Sense is leaps and bounds ahead of Touchwiz. I probably won't even run a desensed ROM on this phone.

GS3 was on my radar because of its top of the class performance, micro SD, and removable battery. I use dropbox and have ~30 gigs available which I will never fill up since I don't horde videos, and honestly the removable battery is an inconvience but I'm sure there will be guides within a week on how to open and change the battery yourself if it goes bad.

Edited by Puck

You cannot go wrong with either phone, but I picked up the One X for a couple reasons. These are my main thoughts.

- OneX screen is higher pixel density and has more realistic colors then the over-contrasted Sammy screen.

- Better camera - it is the best cell camera I have ever used by MILES. Same MP as the GS3, but thats where the similarities end. OneX has a backlit sensor so does much better low light pictures, has a bunch of adjustable filter effects that apply instantly, and the shutter is nearly instant.

- Even though the battery is smaller, the screen uses less power and battery life is nearly identical.

- While overall not as quick as the beastly 32mm 1.4ghz Exynos Quad, the 28nm S4 Dual core 1.5ghz snapdragon is blazing fast. It matches or beats the Exynos in UI benchmarks, but loses in OGL graphics tests. Not sure if overclocking of each device will widen or shorten the gap yet, since there is no OC Kernal for the OneX yet. It will have to be content with being the 2nd fastest Droid phone when the GS3 comes out.

- Slightly lighter, and IMO, looks better with its unibody design.

- A lot cheaper. Retails for 199, but was $150 for pre-orders. With my trade in phone I only spend like 45 bucks on it. GS3 is expected to cost around 300 bucks with contract. The small performance difference should not be worth 100 dollars.

-The new Sense is amazing. No lag at all (unlike the Note!), minimalistic, and beautiful. HTC Sense is leaps and bounds ahead of Touchwiz. I probably won't even run a desensed ROM on this phone.

GS3 was on my radar because of its top of the class performance, micro SD, and removable battery. I use dropbox and have ~30 gigs available which I will never fill up since I don't horde videos, and honestly the removable battery is an inconvience but I'm sure there will be guides within a week on how to open and change the battery yourself if it goes bad.

i am so jelly of how cheap phones are in the us with the contract, if i want to upgrade my phone i have to either spend 600 to break my current contract then get a new one for 80 a month with the one x, or buy the one x outright which is $800+

Puck do you have the AT&T one x? If so the boot loader is locked and htc won't be helping unlock it due to some bs.

I want a comparison of the cameras but for me it is space winning me over.

Wish this quad core business would stop it is just a bunch of marketing crap.

Puck do you have the AT&T one x? If so the boot loader is locked and htc won't be helping unlock it due to some bs.

I want a comparison of the cameras but for me it is space winning me over.

Wish this quad core business would stop it is just a bunch of marketing crap.

Yea, ATT. I was aware of the locked BL before I picked it up, but it's not the first phone to do that. The folks at xda are already making progress on cracking it, and should have a proper flashable boot image within a few days.

Yea, ATT. I was aware of the locked BL before I picked it up, but it's not the first phone to do that. The folks at xda are already making progress on cracking it, and should have a proper flashable boot image within a few days.

They're pretty good at that :)

Will be interesting to see the AT&T One Xs full potential.