Upgrade to SSD turns into Win7 BSOD

Mombo

Alright I got a 64gb Crucial M4 for my HTPC the other day. I installed it last night and went to install windows and formatted it and selected it for the install windows unpacked everything and then restarts it makes it to the Windows balls all flying together and then BSODs. It goes so fast I cant even see what the BSOD says before it restarts and does the same thing over again. If I hit safe mode it makes it a bit past that and then says cant install windows in safe mode restart and then goes back to BSOD loop.

I had a WD blue in it before and it was working fine only thing I changed was moving to the SSD.

I did go into the BIOS and change one setting I think it was called Sata type and it was set to IDE I changed it to the one that said SATA->AHCI.

This particular computer is a bit older then my main rig and its a AMD so I am not as familiar with the settings in the mobo but I think that is what I was suppose to do.

Any Suggestions?

Does this still apply to fresh installs of windows? If its set to AHCI or IDE it blue screens at the same part.

This is where I am at in the process

Set CD to boot - Boot CD - Install Fresh - Custom - Create Partition and Format - Next button unpacks windows I believe - Then restarts - Goes to windows logo where its loading - BSOD

So I never get to the part where I select user names passwords homegoups and all that jazz it always BSOD's before that be it in IDE or AHCI mode.

El_Captain is talking about if you already installed windows in IDE mode and then switched it over to AHCI. That would result in an unbootable computer.

Make sure the firmware is up to date. Go here: http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web

SSD BSODs are common from old firmware bugs. You'll have to do this with it plugged into another computer (because you have too boot into windows to do it)

Normally its not this bad though. You may need to RMA the drive.

Edited by 90sgamer

Made a memtest boot disc and tried that out looks like one of my sticks was having some errors. I guess the WD Blue could handle the bad ram better when I switch the bad stick out it installed smooth and is running nice.....and speedy :) Thanks for the help yall.