Sign in to follow this  
dling

win7 upgrade

Hey guys.My son and I put a new ssd in his computer and did a clean install of his windows 7. I had forgotten it was an upgrade from vista and now it will not allow

us to activate it because we did the install off the win7 disk. It says it can only be used a an upgrade . His computer is running with the win7 now but we have 30 days to remedy this problem. I cant find his vista copy and he has no idea where it is.

Is there a way around this.I dont want to repurchase another OS just because we have the upgrade version. Thanks.

Try the upgrade disk again and see if it will work.

I used the Win7 upgrade on my ssd and it worked. It took a few times but it did work

Install the Win7 upgrade. But do not register it at first and finish. Then repeat this time and register. It just might accept the first install as full. And accept it as an upgrade.

I

Man I really screwed up I picked the wrong drive to do the install on. So now he has lost everything . I had the ssd for OS only and the other drive for everything else. :(

Worst case just dl a vista disk off the net, install it and don't even activate it, you'll have to format the ssd because it won't install over w7, then with vista on the ssd you can do the upgrade to w7. PITA but it will work.:biggrin:

Try reformatting the drive. Then install from the Win7 upgrade disk.

Do not register. But finish the installation. Then reboot. Then upgrade that again with the Win7.

But this time you register. There is the chance it would be the full install. If it takes. You are golden.

Then do your normal updates after rebooting.

There are a couple other ways. But I do not remember those ways.

BUT PLEASE REMEMBER. THIS IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK.

Well I was able to get it to except the code but it was on the wrong drive. So now I have formatted the larger hdd and I'm reinstalling again on the sdd.

I feel so bad about erasing the hdd instead of the ssd. Only trying to help.

Man I really screwed up I picked the wrong drive to do the install on. So now he has lost everything . I had the ssd for OS only and the other drive for everything else. :(

If you didn't reformat there should be a windows old file on the drive and your old data should be in that. If you did reformat your out of luck, sorry.

So the Win7 upgrade worked as full install?

So the Win7 upgrade worked as full install?

Yep.It took the code after the second install. No need for Vista at all.

If you didn't reformat there should be a windows old file on the drive and your old data should be in that. If you did reformat your out of luck, sorry.

I did format the drive. Just spoke to son and he said no big deal and was happy I got the authentication

fixed.So all well. Thanks again to all.