silverstone raven rv02 fan help

I just put my new build together and things seem to be working fine, but for some reason when the 3 switches for the bottom AP181 fans are set at low, they don't spin at all. At the high setting, they spin at 800rpm, which someone told me that 800rpm is what they should be spinning at low. If it helps, I have one fan connected to a molex extension, while the other two are connected to the motherboard. I'm using an ASUS p8z77v-pro, but I don't see any options in the bios where I can adjust chassis fan settings.

I also downloaded HWMonitor, but the strange thing about that is none of my chassis fans even show up on it.

Edited by obake1

I think there are Q-Fan control options in the BIOS. I'll try and disable them all for all the fans.

Do you know why none of my chassis fans show up on HWMonitor though? I think that is quite strange.

At the high setting, they spin at 800rpm,

The power connector should be checked. At that rpm a 2000 or so rpm fan is running off of the 5v line.

Just checked the raven manual and if the fan is like the fn181 then the max spec rpm is 700, so so at high it looks like it is running properly. The problem is on low the fan is not operating, so give a look at the power connection. At low speed the rpm will read about 350rpm.

Edited by sticknstone

Do you know why none of my chassis fans show up on HWMonitor though? I think that is quite strange.

fan headers that aren't plugged to the motherboard's fan connectors will not show up with HW monitor / Everest / Aida64 etc...

Edited by sword_fish

It is a common occurance for software monitors to be unable to report the rpm or temp data.

There is no 5v line off the mobo fan connector. The mobo fan connector is pwr, gnd, rpm, sense lines making the max four lines. I am thinking that the fan controller can only work with the fan connected to the psu and not the mobo. The mobo fan control is not going to work with the fan connected to the psu. Where or how is the case fan switch connected?

I wouldn't plug those into the mb, there a reason why they came with a adapter to connect to the power supply . You will most likely burn out the mb ports before you get anywhere.

That being said you will only have 2 choices ( low or high). I ended pulling the fans out anyways

Edited by hornybluecow

Disabled the Q-fan and they spin normally now. I didn't have much choice to plug those in other than the motherboard as the included cable with the molex -> 3 fan splitter, two of the ends where the fan should plug in are very loose when I plug in the fan and they fall out very easily, but also the 4 fan headers on the mobo specially say CHA_FAN, so I went ahead and plugged them there accordingly.

Edited by obake1

There are two fan control options on this computer sys. One is from the mobo the other is from the case. The two options should not be used together to control the fan. It is possible to have a situation where a fan is powered from the psu and the rpm sense line is connected to the mobo. This situation will allow the mobo to read the rpm of the fan without giving any control over the power sent to the fan.

The fan mobo connector will only have the rpm sense line on it.

The fan connected to the case fan switch will control the fan at a high setting of about 700 rpm and 12v or a low setting of about 350 rpm and 5v.

Unless the fan rpm sense line is connected to the mobo the fan rpm will be unknown.

The two fans connected to the mobo will control the fan through the bios. The two case fan switches will have no effect on the two fans connected to the mobo. With the bios fan control disabled the fan will operate at max setting of about 700 rpm and 12v. It is possible to have the fan control at a low percentage that the fan will not operate because the volts applied to the fan are lower than is needed to start the fan turning. To ensure the fan is operating continuously the lowest percentage will need to be found so that it can be set in the bios. To find the lowest setting start at 10% reboot, then increment 10% until the fan just begins to operate.

odd my case came with a 3x 3pin to molex connector so you don't have to use the MB at all. The downside is it only has a high or low settings but the up side is they won't burn out the motherboard puts. Not all companies make the fan ports for bigger fans, usually i say the limit is 5v fans only. It may not apply anymore but I burned out some fan ports on a 775 and a AMD2 socket.