PSU whirring loud noise problem

Hello people,

I got my bf a new PC less than a year ago. I got a friend to build one for my bf to replace his aging old PC.

So in the last 6 mths or so We've pin pointed where the loud whirring noise its now from PSU ... at first we thought its from the seagate 1tb hardrive.

The brand of PSU is SKY 550w- P4. I havent heard this brand "SKY" before .. just asking is this a good brand or not? Im waiting to hear from my friend to sort this out whether if its still under warranty to get it replaced or not.

Otherwise what do you recommend to get a different brand if SKY is a crap brand. I'm thinking silverstone brand or corsair 550w.

The problem is everytime we start up the PC or wake it up from sleep mode .. the noise goes terribly loud whirring then slows it down to quiet within 40 secs or so....

Hope you can help me on this one to get my bf off my back about this problem :/

If it has a 120mmx25mm fan you can replace it with a little ingenuity. It might require soldering the power wires together but would take about 20 minutes if the fan is indeed the issue. I don't recognize the brand so it may be a bargain piece.

never heard of that SKY neither, and i have no doubt it's the fan who screams.

i'll get a new true power rated PSU instead than repair that 'scandalous' thing and would keep your BF back off atleast :ph34r:

you cant go wrong both with Silverstone & Corsair, just look which suits your budget with the 550W mark.

Edited by sword_fish

never heard of that SKY neither, and i have no doubt it's the fan who screams.

i'll get a new true power rated PSU instead than repair that 'scandalous' thing and would keep your BF back off atleast :ph34r:

you cant go wrong both with Silverstone & Corsair, just look which suits your budget with the 550W mark.

Yep my thoughts exactly.... I've done some research to find info about SKY brand. Nothing about SKY PSU only two info, one was saying caps blown up and other one was cost $35!. Too cheap in my opinion.

I dont want to repair his machine. From now on he can get his own stuff himself rather than relying on me.

Okay thank you peeps . I'll pass this info to him and get a bloody replacement PSU.

Cheers :)

I had to change the fan on a little Apevia ITX psu I have due to noise. was easy just had to pull the connector off the old fan and put it on the new one..

As far as the SKY psu. I did a quick search and most of what I saw was "How to repair" messages.. not a good sign lol. So yea, I would priblbly get a good quality replacement and maybe keep that one as a backup. It probibly wouldnt be that much trouble to replace the fan but not sure I would use it in my main rig. maybe for testing or powering a pump for leak testing but not much more then that :)

I did find this link for SKY psu's though.

Just sayin why replace it. Crack open the PSU. The fan easily comes out and you can leave it pluged in and simply put your ear to the fan and see (or hear) if it is the fan. it is foolish to replace the PSU if it is the fan.

If you do decide to replace the fan, use the utmost caution when working in and around a computer power supply. Make sure the power supply is unplugged (of course) and completely drained of any residue power that might be hanging around inside. I see a lot of knowledgeable folks recommending that you just replace the fan, but if it were me (and depending on how much you invested in this build the first time around) personally I'd spring for a well known respected name brand. At least then you can be fairly certain of the build quality of the power supply. Silverstone and Corsair are both reliable brands.

My advice:

Replace the fan inside the power supply (if it's 120mm. It it's an 80mm fan, get a new PSU: Small fans are too loud, they have to spin at higher RPMs to move the same amount of air. And RPMs equals noise.)

And: Put some rubber grommits in there when you screw the new one in. While the new fan will remove the whirring sound, the grommits will also prevent vibration/rattling: Which is often hard to pin down as the source of noise since one vibrating part can make others vibrate, too.

Thank you everyone .. yeah looks like its 80mm fan . So i think SKY550w psu only cost $35 . So im gonna get him a good quality silverstone psu Plus. He was seriously thinking of getting a new PC and give me his under a year old PC :/ to play with ! I said no dont be silly its a easy fix ... just replace a better PSU. So I will order one for him along with my gaming rig tonite or tmw.

cheers I love this site , very helpful and understanding :)

Thank you everyone .. yeah looks like its 80mm fan . So i think SKY550w psu only cost $35 . So im gonna get him a good quality silverstone psu Plus. He was seriously thinking of getting a new PC and give me his under a year old PC :/ to play with ! I said no dont be silly its a easy fix ... just replace a better PSU. So I will order one for him along with my gaming rig tonite or tmw.

cheers I love this site , very helpful and understanding :)

Just make sure it has a 120mm+ fan. Larger=better in most cases (some brands are just crap in general.)

Personally, if you're looking for cheap this is the one I have, it's about $40 even:

RAIDMAX RX-530 SS Blue LED PSU- 135mm Fan

-Edit: I have a pretty high end gaming system and this PSU powers it. Even works for me when I add my second card as a PhysX processor: So if he isn't running SLI/XFire, 530 Watts should be more than enough. However: To be specific if he has a GPU in there, might want to post what kind so we can find something with the recommended amperage for it.

Edited by dragonsdontfly