Cold boot issues (i7 / X58)

Hey guys,

I have been experiencing a strange issue the last month or so on my Pointman rig in my sig. Whenever I boot up the computer after its been off overnight, the lights will come on, fans start up, and it seems to be booting, but then it suddenly shuts off (all lights and fans stop). A few seconds later it will start up again by itself and boot normally into Windows. It seems this only happens after 8+ hours being shut down. I've turned it off for a few hours during the day and it boots up fine.

This is kind of like what it does normally when you change clocks or voltages in the BIOS. When exiting the BIOS after making the changes, the computer will power down and then power itself back on and boot into Windows. This makes me think its having a problem applying the voltage/clock settings on cold boot. This computer's CPU was very mildly OC'd from 2.8 to 3.0 to run my RAM at DDR3-2000. The downside of running RAM that fast on X58 is of course the extremely high CPU VTT/Uncore voltage needed. I've had to run it at 1.52v to stabilize the RAM for the last 2 years or so. This might be the root of the problem. I'm wondering if the CPU has started to degrade from that high of a voltage. However the system still passed 8 hours of Prime95 blend mode.

Thinking this might be the issue, I lowered the RAM frequency to 1866 and the CPU to stock 2.8Ghz. I lowered the Uncore voltage to 1.35v. It passed 8 hours of Prime95 again, but still has this cold boot issue. :doh:

I'm pretty OCD about my computers working perfectly, so I was ready to upgrade to Ivy or SB-E, but I'd really like to solve this issue if it is possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Reset cmos

I should have mentioned, I already did that using the motherboard switch, and manually re-entered the BIOS values afterward. The cold boot issue remains. :dunno:

Edited by 90sgamer

looks like cmos battery replacement time

Hmm... interesting! I just happen to have just bought some of the same type used in motherboards :thumbsup:

I'll try it out and tell you how it goes.

Edited by 90sgamer

When powering down are turning off the power switch on the PSU after shutdown or just leaving it on?

I've always left the PSU power on. I usually leave it on 24/7, but I started shutting it down at night because my room gets pretty warm with it on in the summer, its easier to sleep with it off.

Edited by 90sgamer