The Elder Scrolls Online

bp9801

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooo cool as this is.... does anyone else see the obvious issues with making every player the protagonist?

That's one of the issues with MMOs. Star Wars: The Old Republic has done a pretty good job of it, but, to me at least, it doesn't always encourage grouping up for anything that doesn't require it. Focused on your story, your character, and not someone else.

Sooooo cool as this is.... does anyone else see the obvious issues with making every player the protagonist?

That's one of the issues with MMOs. Star Wars: The Old Republic has done a pretty good job of it, but, to me at least, it doesn't always encourage grouping up for anything that doesn't require it. Focused on your story, your character, and not someone else.

So in the end all you have is a single player game with some co-op missions..... was really hoping the TESO would find a way to not make you some epic char that saves the world almost single handedly again.

There's a really good article on TESO in the June 2013 issue of PC Gamer (US) that addresses that concern (along with a lot of other details). I'll just quote one section out of it that may ease your worrying a little:

Like World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, The Elder Scrolls Online uses phasing to subtly change each zone to reflect your actions. Depending on the choices you make, the NPCs you see - even the enemies you fight - may be different to those of other players. While this design decision somewhat punctures the sense that everyone shares the same world, its execution is impressive in the way that a good magic trick is impressive. Playing the game, I was aware of how it was doing what it was doing, but only rarely was I fully aware what it was doing. Briefly grouped with another player, for example, I noticed that he was accompanied by an anonymous mercenary. I was traveling with an important named character that we both must have met. The I realized: that mercenary was the same character, but the game presented him differently to me to preserve the sense that my experience was unique. It's an act of deception, but I prefer it to seeing dozens of identical twins running around, Old Republic-style.

There's a really good article on TESO in the June 2013 issue of PC Gamer (US) that addresses that concern (along with a lot of other details). I'll just quote one section out of it that may ease your worrying a little:

Like World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, The Elder Scrolls Online uses phasing to subtly change each zone to reflect your actions. Depending on the choices you make, the NPCs you see - even the enemies you fight - may be different to those of other players. While this design decision somewhat punctures the sense that everyone shares the same world, its execution is impressive in the way that a good magic trick is impressive. Playing the game, I was aware of how it was doing what it was doing, but only rarely was I fully aware what it was doing. Briefly grouped with another player, for example, I noticed that he was accompanied by an anonymous mercenary. I was traveling with an important named character that we both must have met. The I realized: that mercenary was the same character, but the game presented him differently to me to preserve the sense that my experience was unique. It's an act of deception, but I prefer it to seeing dozens of identical twins running around, Old Republic-style.

That last part about SWTOR is true. I mean sure, there are different costumes for the companions, but in the end you have a dozen of the same roaming around at any given time. What TESO is doing actually sounds pretty good, and is slowly moving up my list of titles to play.

And this plot line proves that MMOs do not work well as RPGs. Remember the prophecy said the soulless one, not the soles thousand... 

A good MMO plot needs a storyline that does not make one character more important than another.

And this plot line proves that MMOs do not work well as RPGs. Remember the prophecy said the soulless one, not the soles thousand... 

A good MMO plot needs a storyline that does not make one character more important than another.

:rolleyes: Have you read no other post? We've already addressed that concern.

Seriously, why do you even check out this thread? You obviously have no interest in the game since all you do is complain about every little thing you see.

• 1 month later...

TESO was just on the GameSpot stage.

Would not comment on payment model.

Here's some tidbits:

3 Factions, 3 Races each. Like classes, each race has its own "skill tree", so race WILL matter. Rather unusual for an MMO.

Mounts - you start the game with one. You feed your mount and what you feed it determines how it progresses...you can make it so it goes faster, or more armored, etc.

Guilds - there will be the normal in-game guilds you're used to from TES, but player-made guilds will play a huge role as well, especially in PvP where you can take control of keeps.

Stealth - just as simple as it is in TES, you simply hit CTRL to crouch and the eye meter comes up. Detection works as you'd expect in a TES game - hitting an enemy from behind while undetected does bonus dmg.

Mods - For PC/Mac players, the UI will be completely customizable with LUA scripting.

UI - speaking of the UI, the UI is minimal as you'd expect from a TES game, but because there's no pausing in an MMO, certain UI elements will appear when targeting an enemy so you know what skills you have available.

Controls - This will be the major difference between the PC and consoles. KB&M is the focus on PC and will remain so. The flexibility and complexity of KB&M will not be compromised by gamepads on the consoles

The three factions and three races per isn't anything new as that's been discussed for a while. The different skills for each race, however, is new as far as I know. Wonder if those play off the race abilities any.

Never said it was new, but it seemed silly to mention the new tidbit about races without mentioning it.

This is just the main points that were stated during the Stage Show, I do not make any claims as to any of it being first reported then or not.