The Elder Scrolls Online

bp9801

I know, I'm just saying.

I wish they'd reveal the subscription plan or, maybe, hopefully, that it's free-to-play a la Guild Wars. Spend the $50 or so, get the game, and then play online as much as you want. Revenue can come via expansions and for-pay items (cosmetics, clothing, armor/weapons that aren't any more powerful than what you can get in the game just with a different visual style). Maybe call the in-game market the Tamriel Trading Company or something of that nature.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I'm just saying.

I wish they'd reveal the subscription plan or, maybe, hopefully, that it's free-to-play a la Guild Wars. Spend the $50 or so, get the game, and then play online as much as you want. Revenue can come via expansions and for-pay items (cosmetics, clothing, armor/weapons that aren't any more powerful than what you can get in the game just with a different visual style). Maybe call the in-game market the Tamriel Trading Company or something of that nature.

Yeah, the one question everyone wants answered and of course their response was simply "we're not discussing that at this time"....GRRRRRRR

• 1 month later...

I had a friend with beta access let me play for the last beta weekend and I was NOT impressed with what I saw. It is basically just another MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin. Now the fact that you can do it first person is nice but I want the open character development of Skyrim, not the class system.

I had a friend with beta access let me play for the last beta weekend and I was NOT impressed with what I saw. It is basically just another MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin. Now the fact that you can do it first person is nice but I want the open character development of Skyrim, not the class system.

While I like what the gameplay video shows, I do have to agree that it doesn't entirely feel like an Elder Scrolls game and rather an MMO prancing around with a TES skin. Not a huge fan of the classes either, since I rather like taking a character in Skyrim on any route I choose instead of being shoehorned into something within the first 10 minutes.

Now, that being said I'm still hopeful for TESO on the whole, but I think I'll need even more looks and a beta playthrough (closed or open) to decide for sure. Plus, you know, confirmation one way or the other on its payment model.

While I like what the gameplay video shows, I do have to agree that it doesn't entirely feel like an Elder Scrolls game and rather an MMO prancing around with a TES skin. Not a huge fan of the classes either, since I rather like taking a character in Skyrim on any route I choose instead of being shoehorned into something within the first 10 minutes.

Well first off, there's absolutely no way to make TESO not feel like "an MMO prancing around with a TES skin" since the TES games have been completely single-player experiences and you've never had to run into other people or team up to take on dungeons. Yeah, you had companions, but let's face it - the AI was never good enough to make you forget they were AI-controlled. lol.

As for the classes, it seems like you won't have to worry that much - they're merely starting points. In that video, the guy mentioned that you can take characters down any road and because you can spec weapon skills, you can transform your character in whatever way you want. In that instance, the player was a Templar yet heavily focused on archery skills - aside from the general bow usage, I saw at least two skills used: fire arrows, and rain of arrows (not necessarily their names, just what they acted like). In addition, and the part I thought was particularly cool, was that helping different guilds in the game unlocked additional skill trees! Want your warrior to have spells? Do some Mages Guild quests and you'll unlock new abilities! I think you and Ed are discounting the breadth of the system. It's really not much different than choosing your starting path in the TES games, as even there you focused a particular path during character creation before being able to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Well first off, there's absolutely no way to make TESO not feel like "an MMO prancing around with a TES skin" since the TES games have been completely single-player experiences and you've never had to run into other people or team up to take on dungeons. Yeah, you had companions, but let's face it - the AI was never good enough to make you forget they were AI-controlled. lol.

As for the classes, it seems like you won't have to worry that much - they're merely starting points. In that video, the guy mentioned that you can take characters down any road and because you can spec weapon skills, you can transform your character in whatever way you want. In that instance, the player was a Templar yet heavily focused on archery skills - aside from the general bow usage, I saw at least two skills used: fire arrows, and rain of arrows (not necessarily their names, just what they acted like). In addition, and the part I thought was particularly cool, was that helping different guilds in the game unlocked additional skill trees! Want your warrior to have spells? Do some Mages Guild quests and you'll unlock new abilities! I think you and Ed are discounting the breadth of the system. It's really not much different than choosing your starting path in the TES games, as even there you focused a particular path during character creation before being able to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Yeah but wouldn't the set classes lower your chances of excelling at some new fighting style you choose later on in the game?? It'd be like a white mage trying to become a master of hand to hand combat (this was me in FFXI lol), I remember in FFXI you could solve this problem by switching classes but what sucked about that is all your hardwork didn't come over with you (unless you minored that class) so you had to start from lvl 1 even though you're a lvl 50 experience player. A TES game shouldn't be limited in this way.

Yeah but wouldn't the set classes lower your chances of excelling at some new fighting style you choose later on in the game?? It'd be like a white mage trying to become a master of hand to hand combat (this was me in FFXI lol), I remember in FFXI you could solve this problem by switching classes but what sucked about that is all your hardwork didn't come over with you (unless you minored that class) so you had to start from lvl 1 even though you're a lvl 50 experience player. A TES game shouldn't be limited in this way.

Nope, it's not like that. Like I said, let's say you want your "warrior" to excel in magic - you do a few Mage's Guild quests and you have the same access to those skills/spells as any other class would. You could, in theory, be a jack of all trades. I say in theory because in practice, you'd still have to choose which spells to have on your hotbar for any given encounter. You'd still have access to "everything", but switching in the middle of battle would probably not work very well (unless of course you're in a group and your teammates got your back. lol).

Nope, it's not like that. Like I said, let's say you want your "warrior" to excel in magic - you do a few Mage's Guild quests and you have the same access to those skills/spells as any other class would. You could, in theory, be a jack of all trades. I say in theory because in practice, you'd still have to choose which spells to have on your hotbar for any given encounter. You'd still have access to "everything", but switching in the middle of battle would probably not work very well (unless of course you're in a group and your teammates got your back. lol).

But wouldn't your magical stats be lessened?? For instance I chose a wood elf for my race in Skyrim, so I don't have great amount of MP to use for super spells (usually I have to buff out those stats with enchanted clothing and/or a potion). Therefore even if you could learn the spells, you may not be able to cast the toughest ones since the warrior might have weaker INT or MIND (or whatever names they use for it, if not the generic three from Skyrim, I haven't looked into the game like that)

But wouldn't your magical stats be lessened?? For instance I chose a wood elf for my race in Skyrim, so I don't have great amount of MP to use for super spells (usually I have to buff out those stats with enchanted clothing and/or a potion). Therefore even if you could learn the spells, you may not be able to cast the toughest ones since the warrior might have weaker INT or MIND (or whatever names they use for it, if not the generic three from Skyrim, I haven't looked into the game like that)

Of course that would be the case, but as you said, that's exactly the case in Skyrim and previous TES games. So the point is, those complaining that you have to choose an initial class for TESO is complaining about nothing because we technically have had to do that in every TES game. The core character development mechanic of then being able to make your character unique, the way you want it, is still there.

Of course that would be the case, but as you said, that's exactly the case in Skyrim and previous TES games. So the point is, those complaining that you have to choose an initial class for TESO is complaining about nothing because we technically have had to do that in every TES game. The core character development mechanic of then being able to make your character unique, the way you want it, is still there.

So what you're saying is... the additional layer of stat bonuses/impairments that the added class system brings won't hold the player back?? I mean specifically regarding the full array of character development choices offered by the game as the game, since there are methods that make up for that?