Need to change MOBO

As you can see I'm actually using a P5E3 but it started working bad and I think it's time for a new one. Fr my next build I plan for an i5 or i7 when prices finally drop.

So what you think a good replacement for my mobo would be and when I should purchase it, I'm out for something that gives good OCability...

What if I go for some "old" Sandy i5/i7s to save some bucks instead of Ivy... Which are some fine mobos?

Do you think the saving is worth the loss of performance?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no great loss of performance between sb and this launch of ib, maybe the next launch of ib but not this one. If you would get a i5 2500k and a middle of the road z77 board you would have a decent system at a good price .:biggrin:

I'd probibly go with the Gigabyte UD3 board as well.

Out of the MSI and Asrock boards you listed I'd lean towards the Asrock..

Neg, the MSI boards overclock better, way better than Asrock.

Edited by Drdeath

Neg, the MSI boards overclock better, way better than Asrock.

I don't recomend MSI boards anymore. When they had the PCI 3.0 revision come out for Z68, we had persona after person come to the site saying that the motherboard had some major flaw (usually BIOS related) and that they were basically SOL since MSI CS sucks.

I personally would go go with gigabyte 100 times over before I even touch a MSI board. Asrock has been catching my attention, but I am still not sold on it.

I don't recomend MSI boards anymore. When they had the PCI 3.0 revision come out for Z68, we had persona after person come to the site saying that the motherboard had some major flaw (usually BIOS related) and that they were basically SOL since MSI CS sucks.

I personally would go go with gigabyte 100 times over before I even touch a MSI board. Asrock has been catching my attention, but I am still not sold on it.

.The MSI Z77-GD65 overclocked the best out of all the Z77 boards. Unless TJ presents these "major" flaws(which there are not......) The MSI UEFI bios was great and well laid out. The overclocking software mimicks the UEFI Bios and MSI has been very innovative with their Z77 boards. The are a close second to Asus in their added features. great boards. TJ cannot rcommend them because he does not have one. LOL

There really are some great Z77 board. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and believe it or not the Biostar Z77X77E4 was a kickassk board too.

Edited by Drdeath

.The MSI Z77-GD65 overclocked the best out of all the Z77 boards. Unless TJ presents these "major" flaws(which there are not......) The MSI UEFI bios was great and well laid out. The overclocking software mimicks the UEFI Bios and MSI has been very innovative with their Z77 boards. The are a close second to Asus in their added features. great boards. TJ cannot rcommend them because he does not have one. LOL

There really are some great Z77 board. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and believe it or not the Biostar Z77X77E4 was a kickassk board too.

You really remind me of the led zepplin song "fool in the rain" . First off, the best OC motherboard out of all the z77 boards is the asus maximum ROG motherboard. Go check all the world records for the IB chips and weep my friend.

Ummmm the major flaws in the Bios for the PCI 3.0 revision of the MSI motherboards????????? Where you not on the site for that or what? Were you just asleep, or were you hit with a shovel in the head and have forgotten all of that? If I recall correctly (and if one of the Admins wants to go dig for an old post to back me up, that would be great :cheers: ) there were graphics card issues with BIOS revisions. It was never the layout or the style of the BIOS, but rather all the bugs that it had. A few people weren't getting the mobo to post at all. MSI was not helping them out, and if you had been paying attention at all, you would have realized that no one has been recommending MSI since then. Plus, MSI boards were never really know for their quality to begin with, so you might as well stick with a trustworthy company like gigabyte anyways.

Lastly.........uhhhhhhhh..............what part of me not having an MSI board makes me more or less valid for promoting or vice versa an MSI board? I have an asus board, and I am promoting a gigabyte board. Does the fact that I do not own a gigabyte board mean that I shouldn't promote any other company than the manufactures I choose?

Dude, you are a really bad troll. Either you really have no idea what you are talking about any more, or you are trying to single handedly tarnish this website. Either way I think the admins should hack your avatar and put his video in place of it

For all those people who understood the joke, I thank you :cheers:

LOL You act like you overclocked them (you never touched them). I did not say the ones I overclocked .......The Asus Maximus Gene is the ONLY Z77 ROG board at this time(not on the shelf) but I guess you knew that. The rest of the ROG boards did not hit the website or any reviewers yet.

There are NO flaws on the MSI board. The specific instructions from MSI was TO FLASH THE NEW BIOS FROM DOS SO THE FIRMWARE CAN BE ALSO UPDATED. I incurred no flaws in the UEFI bios whatsoever and got 5.2GHz out of a SandyBridge 2600K with Biostar getting 5.3Ghz. I question as if you knew these facts and obviously you did not.

TJ tell us when Foxconn is going to be bought out?

Edited by Drdeath

Thank you guys!

What about this one?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130645

it is extremely attractive to me...

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157293

As of late, the ASRock boards do not seem to overclock well. I have not tested the MSI board in your link but the MSI Z77-GD65 was wonderful and a great surprise. I think the GD65 is only $45 more than the one you posted.

Summary

In the recent past, we have seen motherboards with what we call “Intellegent” capabilities. Old school overclocking required a lot of patience, a lot of adjustments and most of all, endless epic sessions to find better performance and core speeds. That is not the case anymore as power states can be engaged, voltages can set to auto and even the novice can overclock with the press of a button. MSI has risen to a high level of quality and innovation as of late as we see with their latest edition the Z77-GD65 Ivy Bridge-ready motherboard.

Starting with the aesthetics package, MSI continues the look and the trend with a handsome, monochromatic motherboard featuring bold black and blue colors. The Z77-GD65 uses MSI’s DrMOS II, Hi-C Cap, Super Ferrite Choke (SFC), and Solid caps that provides an integrated Double Thermal Protection to maximize the lifespan of components and better overclocking potential. The layout of the board was spacious and tidy with plenty of room to toss in a few graphics cards and not clutter up the space.

MSI’s UEFI BIOS is a different layout from what we are accustomed, it is laid out well, simple to understand and easy to navigate. The included Utilities are good with M Flash and Control Center. M Flash gets a definite plus as the interface mimics the UEFI BIOS and you can make changes directly through Windows. Live Update is another innovative feature that allows you to not only update your BIOS but your drivers too. MSI has some creative features and Kudos to not following the competition rather positioning themselves in a leader role.

Performance and overclocking was terrific with the Z77-GD65. OC Genie proved very effective with a 4.2GHz 100% stable overclock with a push of a button. The Voltage Checkpoint makes it an enthusiast treat, and we reached a manual overclock high on our Sandy Bridge 2600K of 5.2GHz which is icing on the cake. Overclocking is about potential and the Z77-GD65 has some serious punch.

There is really no negative we could find with the MSI Z77-GD65 and hitting the shelves at $190 makes the this a very competitive price for what is an excellent motherboard

For starters the overclock was really strong. Sure, it was only 20MHz higher than the ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, but that doesn't change the fact that it was the highest we've got out of our 3770k CPU. Not only that, it did it 5c cooler than the ASUS offering and 14c cooler than the GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H. For us this is a big win.

Edited by Drdeath

LOL You act like you overclocked them (you never touched them). I did not say the ones I overclocked .......The Asus Maximus Gene is the ONLY Z77 ROG board at this time(not on the shelf) but I guess you knew that. The rest of the ROG boards did not hit the website or any reviewers yet.

There are NO flaws on the MSI board. The specific instructions from MSI was TO FLASH THE NEW BIOS FROM DOS SO THE FIRMWARE CAN BE ALSO UPDATED. I incurred no flaws in the UEFI bios whatsoever and got 5.2GHz out of a SandyBridge 2600K with Biostar getting 5.3Ghz. I question as if you knew these facts and obviously you did not.

TJ tell us when Foxconn is going to be bought out?

Dude you have the reading level of a fourth grader.

First off, my response was to your comment "MSI boards are the best overclockers of the z77 chipset" . I am guessing from the way you responded that your comment was your opinion and not fact. The fact is that asus is the best overclocking company at the moment. NOTICE HOW I SAY """"AT THE MOMENT"""""!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, how does the fact that the maximum being the only mobo on the market right now change anything about asus being the best OC company right now?????? Your argument makes about as much sense as Obama does.

You are damn right about me never overclocking on an MSI board. If something goes wrong, their customer support is horrifying at best. How do I know? I used to have an MSI board myself, and yeah it died within the first month of using it as nothing but a motherboard for a internet machine. After that whole ordeal, I learned that MSI is a company that will try to keep their money in THEIR pockets and use absolutely none of it to help the consumer. That is just my opinion however. Notice how I am not flaunting my opinions as fact Dr. Death.

As for the BIOS issue, it was a problem in the BIOS that CAME ON THE MOTHERBOARD. At THAT time NOT RIGHT NOW!!!!!! but at THAT time, there was not a fix. To me as a person, it is pretty crappy that a default BIOS has not been tested to the point where they would have caught and fixed the BIOS issue.

I am truly happy for you that you got an MSI board with no issues. I really am. But that is not going to be indicative of everyones experience and you know that.

Lastly, so everyone can know what I really said because this foxcon thing has been picked apart by 5 year olds who have little to no reading comprehension, I said it would not surprise me if Biostar buys out Foxcon. Did I say that they would? No. Did I say it was even probable? NO. I said it was possible. You and the other who have pointed fingers at me for that comment really need to learn how to understand other people forms of dialogue.