Which Z77 Motherboard? Please Help

Hello Good people of OC Club.

Im planning a new rig, 4 years after my last one. I have chosen everything, but am really confused about the motherboard.

My list so far is:

Corsair Graphite 600T White

Intel Core i7 3770K

Noctua DH-14

Samsung Green DDR3 (4x4GB)

Already have a GPU (GTX 480)

Already have PSU (Thermaltake Though Power 750 Watts)

and a few other bits and bobs that arent important.

There are several Z77 motherboards available, but features look to be exactly the same, and there is no definitive review for any of them, or one that compares them properly. Im not concerned about the money as such, but i dont want to buy the most expensive one and just assume that it is the best. Im really interested in the Asus Z77 Sabertooth. I love the Asus brand, all the pcs ive built thus far had Asus Motherboards and all have been geat. and the only brand i want to stay away from is Asrock.

Can anyone advise me on this please?

My main usage will be gaming, as i use my laptop for my work stuff usually.

thanks

It really comes down to the feature set you want on a board. If ASUS is your preferred brand then you cant go wrong with the Sabretooth. Its realty a no frills gaming board that includes features aimed at the gamer without all the productivity features on say the deluxe board.

I am stuck too. Logic, experience, and brains tell me to get the Asus sabertooth board. You can mod the armor, maybe do some painting and you can make a really nice system. That is the one I SHOULD get. Buuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt.............I am drooling over this beauty here.

Getting the EVGA board is like buying a Ferrari when all you do with it is pick up milk from the grocery store. It is major overkill, but it is so much fun.

The asus board is like buying an audi as a general purpose car. It is still overkill, but at the same time it is a lot nicer than your standard gigabyte board, and it is more practical than EVGA, buuuutttttttttttt It does not look to be as much fun. :evilgrin:

Metaphors aside, The sabertooth board is a awesome board, and it will last longer than most boards to boot. If you need something with a bit less of a price tag on it, the Asrock Extreme 4 boards are really nice and really cheap. And of course, if you just want to go all out, then get the EVGA Z77 FTW board.

I am stuck too. Logic, experience, and brains tell me to get the Asus sabertooth board. You can mod the armor, maybe do some painting and you can make a really nice system. That is the one I SHOULD get. Buuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt.............I am drooling over this beauty here.

Getting the EVGA board is like buying a Ferrari when all you do with it is pick up milk from the grocery store. It is major overkill, but it is so much fun.

The asus board is like buying an audi as a general purpose car. It is still overkill, but at the same time it is a lot nicer than your standard gigabyte board, and it is more practical than EVGA, buuuutttttttttttt It does not look to be as much fun. :evilgrin:

Metaphors aside, The sabertooth board is a awesome board, and it will last longer than most boards to boot. If you need something with a bit less of a price tag on it, the Asrock Extreme 4 boards are really nice and really cheap. And of course, if you just want to go all out, then get the EVGA Z77 FTW board.

EVGA boards are far from a Farrari. And all Asus boards are not like an Audi. The ROG product may be but the P8 boards are chuggers. I have not really found Asus boards overclock higher on Sandy or Ivy. They have a boat load of extras. The Audi comparison has to be nailed to the ROG motherboards.

1335744364[/url]' post='2022137']

Buuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt.............I am drooling over this beauty here.

A Z77 board with a fan? You wanna bleed your ears or wha? teehee.gif

Jokes aside, if the OP prefers ASUS, get the Sabertooth or P8Z77-V/V Pro. Their Z68 variants are proven to be a great all around performance board. But if you don't mind Gigabyte get the GA-Z77X-UD4H. A good performing, feature rich, relatively low priced board. If you're on a bit tighter budget, you can't go wrong with ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

:cheers:

EVGA boards are far from a Farrari. And all Asus boards are not like an Audi. The ROG product may be but the P8 boards are chuggers. I have not really found Asus boards overclock higher on Sandy or Ivy. They have a boat load of extras. The Audi comparison has to be nailed to the ROG motherboards.

First off, when have you ever been able to ever understand a metaphor, or anything about computers at all?

Second, the EVGA board is like Ferrari because of the power delivery system. I have a friend who works for evga who says it was designed to be the best OC motherboard for IB period. To cap it off with the 4 way SLI compatibility the board is basically screaming at you to set records in benchmarks.

Third, Asus has always been the audi of the PC world. With the amount of engineering, quality, and features that go into every single board (especially for IB), I find it hard not to relate asus to audi.

Lastly, my metaphors are my metaphors. Sure no one on this website seems to derive them correctly, but if I don't use them I will write a 5 page paper and then you all would get on me for that as well sooooooooooooo what do you want out of me?

A Z77 board with a fan? You wanna bleed your ears or wha? teehee.gif

Jokes aside, if the OP prefers ASUS, get the Sabertooth or P8Z77-V/V Pro. Their Z68 variants are proven to be a great all around performance board. But if you don't mind Gigabyte get the GA-Z77X-UD4H. A good performing, feature rich, relatively low priced board. If you're on a bit tighter budget, you can't go wrong with ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

:cheers:

Lols, I have some 120mm white led fans that aren't exactly quiet. Not to mention that when I play BF2 at max settings, my GTX 560 ti will hit close to 80% on the fans. With my window open, our neighbors can hear my video card. One tiny little mobo fan won't ruin my ears :lol:

Gigabyte is another great company, but the Op did say he wanted to say away from Asrock. I think Asus has done really well with the Z77 boards. They all have a really good feature set, they all look a lot better than SB boards, and the price is actually very reasonable for the amount of stuff they put on the board. Unless you have a super tight budget, I seriously think that the saber tooth is the way to go.

thanks all for the replies. Will defiantly check out the Evga board as it looks bloody sick!!!

i really like the sabertooth, im just holding out to see if there is something better. one one hand i want to wait a bit but on the other im so impatient i want to go out and buy everything tomorrow!!!

keep the suggestions coming and im loving the metaphors. not very familiar with the evga boards but would agree on Audi asus thing!